Kelowna Rail Closure

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Kelowna Rail Closure

Post by GordonH »

trapp wrote:"The corridor is approximately 47.5 kms long extending from Kelowna’s north end to Mile 88 in Coldstream." Can not find the width of the right-of-way anywhere. Does anyone know?

Based on quick measurements done using Google earth I'd say about 20 meters wide.

Added later: Checked few other area's looks like 20 m not 30.
Last edited by GordonH on Dec 1st, 2014, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Cumungala wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Okanagan/127973/CN-Rail-deal-reached

Looks like the rail trail people could get their wish!

Retrosnap wrote:Waiting to hear the details on the deal...like how much is being shared by each of the jurisdictions (City of Kelowna, District of Lake Country, RDCO, etc), how it will be paid for, how much of an impact this will have on my property tax, etc

More Info...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1701952/cn-deal-reached-but-okanagan-indian-band-excluded/

KELOWNA — CN and Kelowna, along with its municipal partners have struck a deal on the discontinued rail line between Kelowna and Coldstream.

Kelowna has been leading the charge to purchase the property from CN.

The original asking price was said to be $50 million.

Lead negotiator for the City of Kelowna, Doug Gilchrist, says the deal is worth considerably less than that.

He says the negotiated cost to secure the corridor is a combination of $22-million in monetary consideration and land donation for which the City of Kelowna will issue a charitable donation receipt.

However, the deal has hit a snag.

The Okanagan Indian Band has excluded two parcels of land at the Lake Country/Kelowna border from the deal.

It also remains to be seen whether tax increases will be necessary in order to pay for the deal.

“Local governments are making every effort to minimize the current tax impact in the interest of securing a land asset that would be valued for generations,” officials say.

They say all partners are looking at their funding options including partnerships, grants, municipal reserves or borrowing.

Just last week, the City of Kelowna asked for an extension to make the deal happen.

The bolding is mine....in other words, they haven't figured out how they are going to pay for it yet. Whatever the final total is, hard to imagine how it can happen without borrowing and/or a tax increase.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:Based on quick measurements done using Google earth I'd say about 30 meters wide.

It's more like 3 meters wide. Maybe 4 or 5 maximum.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Based on quick measurements done using Google earth I'd say about 30 meters wide.

Glacier wrote:It's more like 3 meters wide. Maybe 4 or 5 maximum.

That just the track, looking at google earth you measure from fence line to fence line.

Later: its similar idea to road/highway allowances.

Checked other area's along that length of this track its 20 metre's, not 30.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

maxx wrote:Lets hope all parties can get on this.....the quicker the better.
While they're at it, why not plan on a light rail connection from Kelowna to Vernon?

There is not enough traffic to warrant light rail from Vernon to Kelowna, unless you expect tradesmen to travel with their tools without their trucks.
Waste not
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Money is much smarter than the average individual. If there was some to be made, rail would already exist.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Static wrote:Money is much smarter than the average individual. If there was some to be made, rail would already exist.

Rail is still the most cost effective way to move goods from Port of entry's to distribution hub's across the country. Once at these distribution hub's trucking appears to be the way to go.

Added later: Oops may bad you were referring to LRT.
Last edited by GordonH on Dec 1st, 2014, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Static wrote:Money is much smarter than the average individual. If there was some to be made, rail would already exist.

I don't think it's necessarily intended as a money making proposition. BC Transit certainly doesn't make money. When Ralph Klein decided Calgary needed an LRT he took a LOT of flack over it being too much for a city that size, too expensive and on and on. It turned out quite well in the end, the C-Train system is one of the best.

Having said all that, I'm not supportive of the commuter rail idea, I just take issue with the idea that every damn thing should be governed by profit motive.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

would make a great highway bypass through Kelowna then they can put in that new bridge down by the mill tie in the highway by the airport and call it happy
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This is a good move in terms of a fanancial investment. We need to think long term, and that's what the city is doing. They even said today that when the city is twice the size or more, there very well might be need for a light rail or express bus, or what-have-you that we can't anticipate today. Having this land set aside is good both for the recreational oportunities, and for the futre growth of the region.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ultimate_R

Post by Ultimate_R »

This whole story is great as long as whatever is done with it results in the possibility of the rail being put back in some far future. Eventually fuel costs are going to push north america to using railroads again for many of its transportation needs. Personally I feel the ripping up of any rail line is very short sighted (unless it can be restored to its original purpose).
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

LTD wrote:would make a great highway bypass through Kelowna then they can put in that new bridge down by the mill tie in the highway by the airport and call it happy

best suggestion yet for a chunk of land that is too narrow for anything but a roadway
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

GordonH wrote:Rail is the most cost effective way to transporting goods (beside crude oil, pipeline works better). It would be a shame if replacement is not found to take over for current company.
Since it would mean a hell of lot more big trucks in & out of the north-end Kelowna moving product for both Sun-Rye & Tolko.

Sun-Rype and Tolko are next to get derailed.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

LRT is a few generations away. The population base isn't big enough yet.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

sounds like this deal has ruffled some feathers with the first nations in coldstream area uh oh

Return to “Central Okanagan”