Kelowna Rail Closure

Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Kelowna Rail Closure

Post by Boda »

Rwede wrote:
You're saying it's time governments spend MORE of OUR money? Really? Because that's what this is, OUR money, not government's money.

Checked your wallet lately?

Probably safe to say the poster knows government money is OUR money.
They're just posting an opinion on what they'd like to see it spent on.
Let me guess? YOU won't use the pathway if developed?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Dec 15th, 2014, 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: off-topic
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

kgcayenne wrote:So if he doesn't want to use it, he sure as hell doesn't want anyone else to use it for something in which he'd not engage. It's kind of sad, really, and reminds me of a selfish 14-year-old girl.

Yes, I'm sure everyone who doesn't want to see their property taxes going up to fund a massive recreational amenity is selfish. Especially because it's an amenity that you will use. How dare we not wish to fund your leisure time activities?! We should be happy our government is willing to go out on a limb in a precarious economy and borrow money on our behalf.

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again, buying the railbed is a fait accompli, we're going to pay for it. Fine. Developing it once ownership is established should be financed through fundraising not debt raising. With the issues involving the First Nations claims it ought to give everyone who has an interest a good, long time to get organised and raise those funds. I'm not being sarcastic now, there's a lot of enthusiasm for this project and it might not be too soon to start channeling that into some sort of development society like the one that restored the Myra Canyon trestles.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I sincerely believe it's the time factor that has resulted in the decision to borrow.

Again, money is worthless to a population that is too unhealthy to use it.

Furthermore, it is the same people opposed to this who sure seem to support festivals like Boonstock and Keloha---at the cost of local businesses in damages, and taxpayers when damages & additional policing costs are tallied up---all in the name of attracting tourism that might not happen again if the organizers don't profit enough at our expense, while at the same time not supporting the development of a permanent feature that will attract tourism for years to come.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Dec 15th, 2014, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: try again without the misuse of another member's username
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

kgcayenne wrote:I sincerely believe it's the time factor that has resulted in the decision to borrow.

Again, money is worthless to a population that is too unhealthy to use it.

Furthermore, it is the same people opposed to this who sure seem to support festivals like Boonstock and Keloha---at the cost of local businesses in damages, and taxpayers when damages & additional policing costs are tallied up---all in the name of attracting tourism that might not happen again if the organizers don't profit enough at our expense, while at the same time not supporting the development of a permanent feature that will attract tourism for years to come.

I don't see this at all. I think the majority of people who oppose this generally oppose tourism as the central theme for economic development in our region. We understand that tourism is not an industry that creates prosperity for the many, it creates wealth for the few (usually already affluent) and low wage jobs for the rest.

To clarify Boda, I am opposed to financing the purchase, but I am resigned to it. I understand the reasoning behind preserving the easement, the sense that if we didn't act now it would be gone, but essentially I think it's not a responsible financial decision to borrow money in the present economy.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

kgcayenne wrote:Furthermore, it is the same people opposed to this who sure seem to support festivals like Boonstock and Keloha---at the cost of local businesses in damages, and taxpayers when damages & additional policing costs are tallied up---all in the name of attracting tourism that might not happen again if the organizers don't profit enough at our expense, while at the same time not supporting the development of a permanent feature that will attract tourism for years to come.

What type of permanent feature are you thinking about?

Are there any figures supporting that Penticton lost money because of Boonstock? I highly doubt it would have because of the multiplier effect. For every $1 that is spent in Penticton from outsiders or locals, the economic benefit totals 4-times the amount. Specifically, Assume you give me $1. I am going to save $0.20 and spend the $0.80 in the community. So the next guy saves $0.16 and spend $0.64. The $1 has now created $0.36 in savings and $1.44 in discretionary spending. The next guys saves $0.12 and spends the $0.52, and so on. Once its all said and done, the initial $1 has created nearly $4 in discretionary spending and $1 in savings, for a total economic benefit of $5. Obviously, this is a simplified example but it gives the jest of it.

Assuming Boonstock attracted 5,000 people that spent $200 each in the community, the economic benefit would be over $5,000,000 which ends up the pockets of local business and tax collectors (clearly covers the cost of policing). Any new money spent in the community should be welcomed with open arms, no matter what the attraction is.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Catri wrote:I don't see this at all. I think the majority of people who oppose this generally oppose tourism as the central theme for economic development in our region. We understand that tourism is not an industry that creates prosperity for the many, it creates wealth for the few (usually already affluent) and low wage jobs for the rest.

Wages here have been lower than everywhere else in every single occupation for decades. That ship sailed off into the sunshine tax sunset many years ago. This IS a region geared at tourism and low paying jobs. The people with the money do exactly that. I’m resigned to that particular reality of this community, because after more than 40 years here, that’s all I’ve ever seen: low-wage employees and shareholders with fat wallets. Tourism did not create that, the prevailing mentality of the old-boys’-club did. Tourism requires less effort and lower wages, ‘they’ want it that way, and they’re getting it.

Kelowna is also a bedroom community for the Alberta energy sector. Added to it is that personnel from long-existing locally-grown companies are quitting to go up north because the local industry employers refuse to pay their employees fairly while taking fat dividends that get larger YOY. Other companies were either bought out by larger ones (think Western Star/Freightliner and the like) and shut down to seize market share.

Nothing is going to change the momentum of this place. The very least we can do is become attractive to the types of people who are not going to puke and *bleep* all over our downtown every long weekend.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'm all for the City purchasing lake land, however it should be as intended PUBLIC property. I don't want to see a special little group having it leased to them for their enjoyment only!! We've seen that BS already.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I saw it occur in Penticton. It used to be a party town in the summer, but there were more families as well. As soon as the city started to not accept the youth, tourism in general declined and has not recovered. Let the parties come, but have zero tolerance for those who get out of hand. The parties tend to return year over year, eventually bringing their own families because they always have a good time. I worked in an accounting firm and saw numerous businesses that saw their revenues decline significantly as a result of not having that demographic visiting.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I'm with KG on this. Growing as a recreation destination has the best future and will attract a better quality of visitors over the course of the entire year. A good example is the local ski hills and the people that come over the winter months. Developing opportunities over the rest of the year makes sense. Douchefests are not the answer with their sporadic influx of cash along with all the associated problems and costs. I really fail to see a positive future by further developing the party town image.
I birn quil I se
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Wave101 wrote:Perfect opportunity for the city to install a small LRT system from the Airport to Downtown with several stations along the way. There could also be a station close to UBCO with access via a gondola lift.
I am not crazy, Ottawa started the O-train for dirt cheap using an existing single lane train track and off the shelf trains. The gondola lift to the university would only be 250 meters long and would not be prohibitively expensive, it is a shorter distance than the gondola at Big White. Tourists, residents and students would love the LRT, and the gondola ride would be an amazing way to promote UBCO as a unique green school.

I just wanted to necro this old post that I created regarding building an LRT along the now defunct rail line. I don't think people realize how inexpensive this can be done now that we own the land. I support Kelowna mayor Colin in his endeavor to create a LRT for Kelowna.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-217285-1-.htm#217285
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

That picture is more of a streetcar than a train.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Wave101 wrote:
Wave101 wrote:Perfect opportunity for the city to install a small LRT system from the Airport to Downtown with several stations along the way. There could also be a station close to UBCO with access via a gondola lift.
I am not crazy, Ottawa started the O-train for dirt cheap using an existing single lane train track and off the shelf trains. The gondola lift to the university would only be 250 meters long and would not be prohibitively expensive, it is a shorter distance than the gondola at Big White. Tourists, residents and students would love the LRT, and the gondola ride would be an amazing way to promote UBCO as a unique green school.

I just wanted to necro this old post that I created regarding building an LRT along the now defunct rail line. I don't think people realize how inexpensive this can be done now that we own the land. I support Kelowna mayor Colin in his endeavor to create a LRT for Kelowna.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-217285-1-.htm#217285

The idea that a train is viable at this time is premature. There is a very sparse population between McCurdy and UBCO.
Students are scattered all over Kelowna, few can afford to live downtown.
When John Hindle Drive opens the bus will whisk you downtown in no time flat. Keep the option for light rail open but it is a long time in the future.
Waste not

Return to “Central Okanagan”