Kelowna Rail Closure

AirHoss
Board Meister

Re: Kelowna Rail Closure

Post by AirHoss »

I hope they find a solution and return to service, however it was said that Kelown's new walking/bike corridor along Clement couldn't be continued to UBCO because they couldn't reach an agreement with the railway. Perhaps this can now go ahead.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Grandma Freddy, are you talking about a year and a half ago.. I remember the Mayor mentioning he was meeting with the Mayor of the town south of there, to discuss keeping the rail line open to keep the lumber hauling going..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

AirHoss wrote:I hope they find a solution and return to service, however it was said that Kelown's new walking/bike corridor along Clement couldn't be continued to UBCO because they couldn't reach an agreement with the railway. Perhaps this can now go ahead.

I doubt that would have much bearing, as Kelowna Rail doesn't own the property, they just lease it.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Grandma Freddy, are you talking about a year and a half ago.. I remember the Mayor mentioning he was meeting with the Mayor of the town south of there, to discuss keeping the rail line open to keep the lumber hauling going..

http://www.city.grandforks.bc.ca/wp-con ... _Study.pdf
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I doubt that would have much bearing, as Kelowna Rail doesn't own the property, they just lease it.

Let me guess, Marathon Realty, the property holding company associated with CPR ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I doubt that would have much bearing, as Kelowna Rail doesn't own the property, they just lease it.

fluffy wrote:
Let me guess, Marathon Realty, the property holding company associated with CPR ?

Actually not sure, I'm just going by what I heard on the news, that the big boys (CN & CP) leased out the smaller runs like what KR was doing.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

*removed, try again without the personal attack/Jo*
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

That would be my guess, too, Fluffy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Abctually i believe they got permission about two months back, not sure of the status now.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I know they want to use the right of way for a north end connector from hwy 33 to clement ave. But i would like to see the rest turned into a bike or multi-use pathway from at least Vernon to Kelowna. It would be a beautiful (and safe) route along kalamalka, wood and duck lakes then through the middle of town.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

KL3-Something wrote:I know they want to use the right of way for a north end connector from hwy 33 to clement ave. But i would like to see the rest turned into a bike or multi-use pathway from at least Vernon to Kelowna. It would be a beautiful (and safe) route along kalamalka, wood and duck lakes then through the middle of town.

Well KL3-Something if train is removed the new police station will have hell of a lot semi-truck traific going past it. Reason is all that wood Tolko ships now by train, would be done by truck.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

To KL3, I've been having the same thoughts about these rail lines for some time now. There are abandoned lines all over the province and what a wonderful tourist attraction and public use routes they would make if they were all turned into multi use trails. Some have been used for this purpose but many aren't and some are disappearing. There are rail lines up around the north Okanagan from Grindrod south that aren't being used and could tie in with the trail you propose from Vernon to Kelowna! I know that these lines are "owned" by the railroad companies but if they stop supplying a service which is why the land was giving to them shouldn't the land revert back to public ownership?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

danmartin wrote: I know that these lines are "owned" by the railroad companies but if they stop supplying a service which is why the land was giving to them shouldn't the land revert back to public ownership?

Seems reasonable to me.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

The wood could continue moving out on Recreation Ave, as it did till now.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Railroad companies NEVER take future opportunity into account when considering to abandon rail lines. Most of the time they announce abandonment immediately after a big customer shuts down or something. They never consider the potential of the place opening back up again or something else demanding rail service moving in. If they would simply just LEAVE the tracks in place then they could be reopened if and when its necessary. We are at a point in time where railways just aren't being built anymore, so its very important to keep what is left. Trains are efficient at moving massive amounts of freight and take hundreds of trucks off the roads. I'm surprised that more places like Sun-Rype don't move their product by rail. At the same time, train companies only care about money they can make from selling the rails, so they always jump at the chance to rip out their tracks. Its kind of sad really.

By the way, if for some insane reason that our railway was to be abandoned, the city may want to consider keeping Ellis open to truck traffic. Thats the only logical solution to the amount of truck traffic that will be created.

Return to “Central Okanagan”