Kelowna Rail Closure

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna Rail Closure

Post by kgcayenne »

We are fortunate to have not experienced a derailment, other regions, not so lucky. People are parasites to the land.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

kgcayenne wrote:Do you think that additional pathogens are better? I don't think you are actually saying that, but rather don't quite understand how it should be a consideration in riparian zones (which is part of the line of work I'm in).

Quick - you better get to work down here then. I think the Buntzen Lake Dog Beach alone has a higher canine count than the entire Central Okanagan. There's an off-leash park right next to the creek that fills Burnaby Lake. Then there's the wicked trail around the lake, on which you're allowed to walk your dog on-leash.

Seriously - there's a butt-ton of dog areas in 'riparian zones' (and with water nearby that dogs can swim in) around the tri-cities and Vancouver/Burnaby/New West area. You make it sound like we should all be dead by now.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There are no water licences on Burnaby lake for domestic use.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Funny thing theres a pump station right in the middle of cedar creek dog park not to mention I no of plenty of people drawing their water out of the lake you would think someone '' in this line of work'' would be more informed clearly its a non issue on Okanagan doubt its any different on woods or kal
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Funny thing, OK Lake is a teensy bit bigger than Kal Lk.

Anyway, a multi use corridor would be a plus for the region and do wonders for attracting the kinds of people who are appreciative of the beauty for which this valley is so well-known. I know there are people who would've loved to see the rail continue, but a fair chunk of industry said goodbye to Kelowna decades ago, and if it were a viable/profitable rail line, it would've a) continued, or b) been picked up by another operator.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

kgcayenne wrote:There are no water licences on Burnaby lake for domestic use.

How about Buntzen Lake? I had rather explicitly mentioned that piece of the watershed.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Nada, no licences.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

http://globalnews.ca/news/1601299/cn-as ... lway-dump/

Nice to see that something is finally being done about this! CN should still be responsible for at least an abbreviated form of upkeep as long as the property is still theirs. This includes not allowing transients to sleep there and trash the place. What a mess! The rest of the railway corridor looks pretty awful as well.

At this point, it looks like a rail trail being built is about as likely as rail service starting again. Today is the deadline and it looks like there is no interest. The property will be sold off in sections and the corridor will be lost forever.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Cumungala wrote:
At this point, it looks like a rail trail being built is about as likely as rail service starting again. Today is the deadline and it looks like there is no interest. The property will be sold off in sections and the corridor will be lost forever.

I'll bet what the hold up is that while the bike riders want a riding trail they have very limited resources to pay for it.
Within the Kelowna City limits the municipality has had their eyes on the rail corridor for a very long time. Not for a bike trail but for a highway bypass. Lake Country doesn't need a bypass but Vernon could make good use of the rail corridor for a roadway.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

The CN police were responsible for giving the bums rush to the transients that were sleeping in the rail yard behind Canada Post. Wow, I wonder when the CN police were last in Kelowna? I'll bet they had to look on a map to find us! The transients have been there for months, so they should have been kicked out back then, before the trash got as bad as it has now. The fire department cleaned up some of the used needles this morning, but left lots behind according to the news. Not a good thing!

On a good note, at least the old modular security office located on site has been hauled away. It was covered in graffiti and had been broken into multiple times by transients. I figured that it was an arson attack just waiting to happen.
Last edited by Cumungala on Oct 6th, 2014, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Cumungala wrote:Wow, I wonder when the CN police were last in Kelowna?

Probably would have arrested you the last time you felt compelled to trespass to take pictures of an old rail car.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Phoenix Within wrote: Probably would have arrested you the last time you felt compelled to trespass to take pictures of an old rail car.

Gee, I should be locked up for life for doing that. Do you seriously think they would have arrested me for taking some photos? At the very most they would have told me to get lost. They sure didn't arrest the transients for completely trashing the place, cutting holes in the fence, doing drugs and leaving their used needles behind, etc. I felt pretty good about what I did when I took those pictures. I also trespassed on the railway line many other times to take more pictures. Funny how you seem to think that my "trespassing" down there is much worse than the vandalism the drug addicts are doing. What would happen if some young kids went there to explore and got into the biohazardous trash that was left behind by the transients? Or worse, what if one of them got pricked by a needle?

Complain about the people that use the old railway line to walk their dogs too. I most certainly was trespassing when I took the photos, but so are they. So are people that cut across the tracks at anywhere but a crossing.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Cumungala wrote:Gee, I should be locked up for life for doing that.

And miss the opportunity to have you leave town once the railway pulls out? Why mess with a good thing?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

cv23 wrote:
I'll bet what the hold up is that while the bike riders want a riding trail they have very limited resources to pay for it.
Within the Kelowna City limits the municipality has had their eyes on the rail corridor for a very long time. Not for a bike trail but for a highway bypass. Lake Country doesn't need a bypass but Vernon could make good use of the rail corridor for a roadway.

And Kelowna could use it as a truck corridor as well.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Central Okanagan”