Kelowna Rail Closure

Re: Kelowna Rail Closure

Postby LTD » Dec 2nd, 2014, 7:22 am

sounds like this deal has ruffled some feathers with the first nations in coldstream area uh oh
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2198 posts

Postby Rwede » Dec 2nd, 2014, 8:37 am

Only municipal bureaucrats are stupid enough to get into an open-ended agreement, for an as-of-yet unknown price. Add to that natives with unresolved claims, and this promises to be very, very costly for taxpayers.

Why weren't the bureaucrats there to secure rail service for the many business which rely on it, businesses that provide the types of jobs that pay the bureaucrats' wages? What a complete and utter failure by those entrusted with taxpayers' money!

CN deal leaves taxpayer in dark

by Wayne Moore | Story: 127998 - Dec 2, 2014 / 6:00 am

Taxpayers in the Central and North Okanagan won't know for a few months just how much they will be paying for the purchase of the CN rail corridor announced Monday.

The purchase price for the nearly 50km of discontinued rail line between Kelowna and Mile 88 in Coldstream, announced Monday morning, is $22M in cash.

Because the lands have a value larger that $22M, CN Rail will receive a taxable donation receipt for the balance.

City of Kelowna Divisional Director, Doug Gilchrist, says the balance over $22M is still being determined, during what is being termed a 120-day due diligence period.

Also to be determined during that period is just how much each municipality including Kelowna, Lake Country, Coldstream and the North Okanagan Regional District, will pay.

"How it will be funded is still being determined," says Gilchrist.

A little less than a third of the track runs through the City of Kelowna.

It's also unclear at this time if the provincial and federal governments will contribute to the purchase.

In many scenarios such as these, senior levels of government will contribute up to one-third of the cost with the municipality or, in this case, municipalities, kicking in the rest.

Gilchrist does expect some clarity on financing by the time Kelowna's budget process begins in mid January.

And, after the purchase?

"After the land is acquired there is track removal and asset removal that CN is obligated to do. There is some environmental remediation that CN is also obligated to do which is not significant.

Then we will start talking about what gets constructed, by whom and when."

Gilchrist expects the Inter-Jurisdictional team to remain intact to determine the long term vision for the corridor.

"I would envision that we would land on a joint vision between the jurisdictions because this has been a joint exercise to date where all jurisdictions have worked well together," says Gilchrist.

"I expect it would likely move forward to the next phase as a joint exercise."

The only portion of the corridor not included in the acquisition agreement is about 1km of track which goes through IR7 around Duck Lake.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

2 people like this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5117 posts

Postby Cumungala » Dec 2nd, 2014, 10:42 am

Ultimate_R wrote:Personally I feel the ripping up of any rail line is very short sighted (unless it can be restored to its original purpose).

Short sighted is exactly what it is! Instead of thinking of the long term, the City of Kelowna especially is just trying to satisfy the upper class residents who do NOT want to have some "ghetto" freight train passing through their neighborhood. It doesnt matter if it was only once a day at the most, any train is too much for our world class city! I will be totally amazed if rail service is ever brought back to the Central Okanagan. Municipal Governments are trying to secure the corridor for future use which could involve a path, a road, or rail once again in the future. What they dont realize is probably 99.9999% of abandoned railway lines do not get rebuilt, why would Kelowna be any different.

Rwede likes this post.
Cumungala
Übergod

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby trapp » Dec 2nd, 2014, 11:23 am

Any kind of a rapid transit system in the future would most likely use a different type and gauge of track. The old railway tracks would be obsolete. As for the line once again becoming a rail freight corridor that is not going to happen.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
trapp
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 312 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 2nd, 2014, 3:40 pm

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Dec 3rd, 2014, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2664 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Dec 2nd, 2014, 3:50 pm

I hope they (we) make the bike/walking path that was discussed.

Phoenix Within likes this post.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2686 posts

Postby kimjohn » Dec 6th, 2014, 7:33 am

Cross country sking along the old rail bed in the winter?
kimjohn
Fledgling

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby the quadguy » Dec 6th, 2014, 8:53 am

Hope quadders will have a chance to use this rail bed as well, later on. Our tax dollars will be helping to pay for it to.
the quadguy
Fledgling

Liked in: 35 posts

Postby bob vernon » Dec 6th, 2014, 10:02 am

And dirt-bikers, too. A few places on the trail should have whoop-de-doos built in so that a true dirt bike experience is there.
bob vernon
Übergod

Liked in: 1005 posts

Postby the quadguy » Dec 6th, 2014, 11:11 am

Well i don't know about lop deloops for dirt bikers, But i do know of a lot of seniors that would love a leisurely ride along this rail bed, Some are unable to hike or ride their bicycles . It should after all be for everyones use ,Right?
the quadguy
Fledgling

Liked in: 35 posts

Postby monroe » Dec 6th, 2014, 11:34 am

Rwede wrote:

Grab yer ankles. The taxman cometh.

Some of us have been for a while now.

Not sure whos got the lead - fortis or the tx man.

...i think the adult entertainment industry has a term for it, called - the "DP"
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
monroe
Übergod

Liked in: 1228 posts

Postby kimjohn » Dec 6th, 2014, 1:12 pm

the quadguy wrote:Well i don't know about lop deloops for dirt bikers, But i do know of a lot of seniors that would love a leisurely ride along this rail bed, Some are unable to hike or ride their bicycles . It should after all be for everyones use ,Right?

|I agree it should be for everyone to use. Some sections would create great access/riding for quads/ rec-vehicles , bikes, electric scooters, some sections for walking and some section for possible sking in the winter.
lets say lake country decided to maintian the east side for cross country sking and it became utilized for a couple of months in the winter along the lake (IF there is ever enough snow). I agree something for everyone if possible! and it could change seasonally.
If there was ever enough snow a good marathon OR relay ski event in the winter from Kelowna to Vernon?
Each comunity could use this as an atraction for bussiness in diffrent ways.
I would love to mount a hopped up go cart onto the tracks and get that off my bucket list!
kimjohn
Fledgling

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Dec 6th, 2014, 4:11 pm

A part of it should be used as a drag strip too, so that the racing sector is not left out of the spoils. 8-P
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2648 posts

Postby bob vernon » Dec 7th, 2014, 8:17 am

A grandstand on a big barge could be on the lake. This would have been a perfect use for one of the big barges left over from the old floating bridge, but sadly it was on Okanagan Lake, not Kal. But another could be built. The grandstand could move to where the drag strip would be (at a wider spot of the shore) and then go to where the dirt bike racing would be.

There should be various kinds of activities along the trail besides the motor sports. It would be a great spot for a return of the old woman who lived in a shoe and various other kids of amusements like a strip of Disneyland. With an Ogopogo theme.
bob vernon
Übergod

Liked in: 1005 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 7th, 2014, 10:21 am

Here is a great example of what this trail way could be made into: http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com

danmartin likes this post.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 1916 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan