Do you shop local?

voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Do you shop local?

Post by voice of reason »

i would love to buy local and support the local economy but thanks to walmart there isnt a lot of local stores left.i try to buy my fishing licence and tackle at the hymart and buy tires at hughes tire store but im not going to go spend 50 bucks on a pair of jeans when walmart has them for 14.99. i would rather not spend my money there but its not really a choice sometimes.i boycotted walmart for the first 10 years they were in canada but back then there was zellers as an alternative.i do a lot of online shopping which is the furthest thing from buying local but i only have so much money and i have to make it go as far as i can.there comes a point where if you can get a 399.00 camera at london drugs or get the exact same one online for 189.00 its not really a choice at all.i do enjoy buying local produce from the fruitstands in lakeview heights but that is seasonal.it would be nice it save on and safeway sold local apples but they can get the for dirt cheap from washington.if things are equal price and equal quality i will buy local every time but i am not paying double for something just because of where it comes from
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

The last decent TV I bought was from "Good guys" on Main Street Westbank. Unfortunately they went under. They didn't last long after the arrival of the big dogs. Now I can buy a head of cabbage and a 50 inch TV from the same shop from some nameless whoever that makes 10 bucks an hour and really doesn't care if I am happy with my purchase. Sad.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

But don't you have farm produce markets in Westbank? Cabbage from them maybe?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i try to first
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Yes. One has popped up in the parking lot of a nearly dead strip mall in Westbank. Lordco is one of the big names that keeps that place open. A pet store , a pharmacy.... Trying to think of them because I never shop at any of them. Wait.... There is a library in there also! Crazy , I know. A library !
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

logman wrote:Yes. One has popped up in the parking lot of a nearly dead strip mall in Westbank. Lordco is one of the big names that keeps that place open. A pet store , a pharmacy.... Trying to think of them because I never shop at any of them. Wait.... There is a library in there also! Crazy , I know. A library !

Chinese and Italian restaurants, water bottling depot.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I try and shop local to whichever area I'm working in. I'm all over BC and Alberta and try to always pick up as many local items as I can.

However, I've created monsters back home in Ontario. You send them one bottle of Whitewater salad dressing and all of a sudden Kraft doesn't cut it anymore. My last trip home had 8 glass bottles of dressing plus some local wine.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Comfort Walk (shoe store), Curves, Connect Hearing (Audiologists, Hearing Aids) new toy/building block (going by signage) store, Ultimate Hockey
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I have noticed the Italian restaurant. How the heck do they stay open? Do they turn a profit or maybe it's just a hobby? Dead empty every time I have noticed they are even there. Who pays 15 bucks for a bowl of pasta that you can make at home for 1$? It's not like the location or the atmosphere is making the place worth the visit.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

one place that does receive a lot of local support is dolicious donuts in westbank.they seem to be fairly busy and are probably doing better than when they were tucked away up in the old lakeview heights mall
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 24th, 2015, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try to stay on topic. Thanks.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 24th, 2015, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

I refuse to use any of the stores in Westbank like Walmart, Canadian Tire, Work Wear World or any of the shops in those malls for two major reasons. 1. Can Tire has never got the car parts I need, Work Wear World never has sizes, Walmart quality sucks and I blame them all for the traffic chaos they have created. They came and killed all the mom and pop shops and then wanted a light at Butt. They should have been made to put in an overpass but that is my opinion.
I will be honest and say I go to the states 2 times a year and get my clothes. Buying clothes in the Okanagan is a pain in the butt. No sizes, no selection and I am not going to pay $80 for a pair of jeans or sweater. Even with the lousy exchange still cheaper in the states. I hate shopping! I hate the games and hate going here for this and here for that. Just let me go in and pick what I want and I am out.
T-roy
Fledgling

Post by T-roy »

shop local for what? myself I buy all my food and such. local. from the store, if you mean buying things online. yes I buy a lot online, I cant support a local place that has huge mark up. here are to examples. 1st a Harley dealer I priced out some part from the dealer.$3200! I buy online for $800, local polaris dealer bought a box for atv $300 go home look it up on line $89. why support my locals if this is how it works. my kids shoes $100-150 or online $45.no brainer.
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

T-roy wrote:shop local for what? myself I buy all my food and such. local. from the store, if you mean buying things online. yes I buy a lot online, I cant support a local place that has huge mark up. here are to examples. 1st a Harley dealer I priced out some part from the dealer.$3200! I buy online for $800, local polaris dealer bought a box for atv $300 go home look it up on line $89. why support my locals if this is how it works. my kids shoes $100-150 or online $45.no brainer.

Exactly! If we were not robbed blind I would shop local as well. ATV parts, Jeep parts, hunting stuff, electronics, all way cheaper on line and 10 times more selection and you don't have to deal with store staff that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Return to “Central Okanagan”