Do you shop local?

Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Do you shop local?

Post by Woodenhead »

I've never been to an outlet store. There's plenty of other options [mostly online] to get what you want for cheaper.
Your bias suits you.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I buy building materials, groceries, toiletries etc locally. Most things I buy local unless it just isn't available local. Kelowna is not a super shopping hub. 95% of all shopping here is food, clothing, and home stuff. I may buy hard to find items locally so long as they are a little competitive and not outrageously priced.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Here is what a local restaurateur has to say about buying local.

http://dine19.com/open-letter-19-okanag ... il-martens
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Woodenhead wrote:I've never been to an outlet store. There's plenty of other options [mostly online] to get what you want for cheaper.

Like spandex?

I buy so much second hand that it's difficult for me to think spending time shopping on line. For the handful of things I want, I want them new and I want to see what I'm getting in the here and now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Steve-O wrote:Here is what a local restaurateur has to say about buying local.

http://dine19.com/open-letter-19-okanag ... il-martens

Neil... I wish you luck , but honestly , you're doomed.Take a look at the average wage here in the valley ..

When summer is over and the rich tourists are gone , who's gonna afford "local" food , cooked by "local "chefs" , served by "local" wait staff and cleaned up by "local" dish pit doods?

Not me . No offence , but I . just . CAN'T .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Queen K wrote:Like spandex?

I buy so much second hand that it's difficult for me to think spending time shopping on line. For the handful of things I want, I want them new and I want to see what I'm getting in the here and now.

I suppose it depends on what exactly you're shopping for, and personal preference. I've never had any problems, really. But I tend to research the heck outta things before I buy. (I rarely buy clothes online, unless it's very specific/specialized backpacking gear, which I rarely find in town anyway.)

As for spandex: eww! And second hand spandex = Image
Your bias suits you.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I bought a couple spandex suits at a local thrift store and now I have an epic bedbug infestation.
Amazon and Walmart for me from now on.
If I survive the anaemia .
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Woodenhead wrote:As for spandex: eww! And second hand spandex = Image

Second hand spandex? Nasty...what heinous microscopic evil pests lurk within....feeling itchy???
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

MAPearce wrote:Neil... I wish you luck , but honestly , you're doomed.Take a look at the average wage here in the valley ..

When summer is over and the rich tourists are gone , who's gonna afford "local" food , cooked by "local "chefs" , served by "local" wait staff and cleaned up by "local" dish pit doods?

Not me . No offence , but I . just . CAN'T .

Well put MAPearce.......its almost getting to the point when I see the word "LOCAL", I run the other way. $8 -$10 for a glass of local wine.......we will stop on the way home and get a whole bottle thank you.

I also wish you well Neil........there certainly is a place for you in Kelowna but the cost of a night out at 19-Okanagan will allow us to cook several equally great meals at home for quite a few people.

A question for Neil would be "do you or your staff get upset if a group of customers come in and do not order ANY alcohol"? I have mentioned in other posts how several restaurants here have rushed our orders to get us out quicker in the hopes of having "drinkers" at the table.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

matai wrote: If so not, why not ....

I can't. It's a two day drive.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Snarf wrote:I shop at Costco and I am supporting the local staff there who have been employed for over 20 years...

True enough! Walking into the local Walmart with a friend and she started on about how it isn't a local business. I agreed but said that they do employ locals. She had the speechless expression, and yes, she went on to buy things in there with me.
I cannot say I would be able to buy totally local because not everything is made locally, but I do support the local shops as they source out getting items made elsewhere for me to buy locally.
~*~I do not see a gas refinery in my town, nor a tire making factory~*~

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Woodenhead wrote:I suppose it depends on what exactly you're shopping for, and personal preference. I've never had any problems, really. But I tend to research the heck outta things before I buy. (I rarely buy clothes online, unless it's very specific/specialized backpacking gear, which I rarely find in town anyway.)

As for spandex: eww! And second hand spandex = Image

Okay Okay, I was jamming you about Alfred2s claim that you're one of those spandex wearing cyclist out there. Of course the fits of laughter rising up from downtown were purely from picturing Woodenhead in spandex anything.

Of course wearing spandex never enters my head unless it's the bathing suit variety and new off a shelf. Ewww, how could anyone believe otherwise?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Damned straight - no spandex here. The closest I get is wearing a full latex bodysuit on Saturday nights. But that's an entirely different thread topic.
Your bias suits you.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I always shop local in terms of a local outlet.
I try to buy Canadian whenever possible if the price is reasonably comparative.
I buy locally grown produce, if possible, except for meat or liquor.

I always want to see what I am buying so never shop on the internet.
guardian74

Post by guardian74 »

I live on the West side. I don't cross the bridge unless I have to. That being said with a population of 30,000 that might not all be like minded it is very hard for stores to survive on the West side. Its a shame.

Return to “Central Okanagan”