50km/h on the Pelmewash Parkway

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: 50km/h on the Pelmewash Parkway

Post by Donald G »

To katzenjammer ...

According to some of the people posting you already have the speed factor, You just need the formula 1 cars.

The first time I went there after the new road was built I thought it was an area set aside for people trying to get their learners permits to practice driving. Scary area.
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

Changing the topic somewhat....
LCD has great vision for future public use of the Pelmewash corridor, as I attended a couple open houses, and I wonder if the vision will change, if the railroad right of way becomes a public corridor in the future, after gov't bodies decide who and what to do with it. It may take years before the MOT, gives the old highway to the municipality. In some regards, I would like to see it stay just the way it is, and let province take care of the old highway. It would be cheaper for our tax payers. A lot of money was spent on consultants, regarding park plans, enviro-scraping, and everything else. I don't think that money should have been spent until we officially had control Of the highway.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Myrna ...

Were those hired friends of your "spendthrift" Mayor by any chance?
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

You mean, were the consultants friends of the mayor? How should I know?
Do you know something that I don't? It doesnt matter who she was(consultant.)
It's not what you know, it's who you know.it wouldn't surprise me if they knew each other.
And do we know if there was a bidding process for hiring the consultant? Probably not. That would make too much sense.
Having a pelewash plan in place before local election seemed like the right thing to do, eh??
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Myrna ...

Your sensible quote regarding ways to keep taxes in check in DLC will not be accepted from what I have seen of their spending choices and habits. You may be forced to move to a more "taxation sensible" area.

P.S. Please bring some of those little Pelmewashes if you choose to come here. Great tourist item if sold in a nicely decorated can with instructions inside that explain how you let the invisible little guy escape when you opened it.
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

Ya, well I know DLC is cheap when it comes to getting their building cleaned.
They had to take the cheapest, lowliest bid when the cleaning contract came up for tender, it was an insult to me, but the poor business that got sucked in, (bid) to do it, is the real loser. My guess is, will the company stay on for the life of the contract? Ha!
Oops, got off topic here.
Did you read the latest on the Pelmewash highway takeover?
This thing will be tied up for years. I say, let the province keep it, if this district and residents know what's good for them.
It will be the go-to road in the future, when chaos and multi vehicle accidents happen up top.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Myrna wrote:It will be the go-to road in the future, when chaos and multi vehicle accidents happen up top

You mean like Oyama Lake Rd to Winfield used to be like when there was an accident on 97?
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

Yes, like oyama rd.
One redirect for a day, to oyama rd, was like two years of regular traffic use.
Imagine if redirect went to the old highway, with all the public use, walkers, bikes, etc.
I suppose the partitioned lanes up top will help with reducing total closures of upper racetrack accidents.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Thought it might be worthwhile to ressurrect this topic seeing DLC has turned the thing into their version of paradise.

After driving it the full length yesterday the only thought that kept popping into my mind was what kind of idiot(s) came up with the design?

The end result is a road in spots barely wide enough for a regular pickup, and at least one curve so tight and short, that you can't help but cross the center line going through it, unless you're driving a bike or Smart car.

Concrete curbing placed in some areas looks like it was done by a grade school class.

All in all I felt it was among the worst designs I've ever seen.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Some areas the pavement is, ever so slightl,y cracking already
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I haven't driven this stretch since the new one was opened, no plans to ever drive it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

What a great drive . We use it any time we go north..

it's flat and we don't smell the "Q" burning up as we go up nor do we smell brake going down .

We gladly add 10 extra minutes to the trip to take that road to save gas , the abuse on the QX4 and to slow down and take in the view .

What's the rush ??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

A drunk with a sharpie and a napkin squiggled out a road design and
the idealist twits ate it up, signed off and wasted a pizz-pot full
of cash to build it.
A real joke..I ain't laughin'

It's bumpy as all get out, narrow, trees encroaching the lanes.

Not one stretch of curbing or delineator has been spared from sidewall scrubbing.

Pathetic !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Perfect! Its a parkway, designed for slow moving local traffic
I'm glad so many hate it and spread the story
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^It also has to accommodate commercial traffic to serve local industry.
Transit buses also have the chore of navigation on this bad joke of asphalt.

Then throw in the yahoos with their recreational vehicles of all configuration,
some of whom park and camp in the narrow pull-outs. They can't even get off
the roadway enough to clear the travel lanes.

Not everybody is retired or on holiday. As hard as it is to believe there are
people that actually work for a living and depend on this route as part of that.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”