Respecting Our Paramedics

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Respecting Our Paramedics

Post by Catz »

Removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Aug 11th, 2014, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Contact admin. via pm. Do not derail the thread.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Aug 11th, 2014, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: check your pm.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Yeup......

Paramedics settled for LESS that the BCTF .... Go figure .

More work , More gore and less thanks .....for less money.

Anyone know what the difference between a teacher and a paramedic is ? ...

The paramedic KNOWS they're NOT a teacher....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

As someone pointed out to me via PM, this is a good thread and should not be derailed. I agree, but let's be very clear on what is and what isn't a derailment:

Posting your on-topic opinion (popular or not) is not derailing the thread.

Posting a hysterical rant at another member for having a different opinion than your own IS derailing the thread.

Keep it together, people. Post an attack on another member's opinion, but don't make it personal. If a member is too upsetting for you to handle, ignore them.
ThirstyDeer
Fledgling

Post by ThirstyDeer »

MAPearce wrote:Yeup......

Paramedics didn't settle for anything. They were legislated back to work right after VANOC told the government to do so or risk losing the games due to no planned medical coverage.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

MAPearce wrote:Yeup......

ThirstyDeer wrote:Paramedics didn't settle for anything. They were legislated back to work right after VANOC told the government to do so or risk losing the games due to no planned medical coverage.

Teachers are getting dangerously close to the same result! Just another example of employees putting themselves out there as more important than what they are.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

ThirstyDeer wrote:Omisimaw,

You say a paramedic's job is "first and foremost" to transport patients (actually you say we shouldn't call them patients) to real medical care at the hospital. That the real work (the life saving and advanced medical skills) takes place at the hospital by nurses, Doctors, etc.

By your logic, a police officer's job is "first and foremost" to transport criminals (neglecting the fact they're trained in enforcing the law, protecting the peace, assisting people in various ways) to the jail and courts where the true professions (in this case judges) protect society from lawbreakers because they're the ones with the legal expertise and knowledge to make the final call.

Do you call your neighbourhood police officer a police car driver?

Actually there are some of those fellows on the job! Ye ole paddy wagon driver FI....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

MAPearce wrote:We live , for lack of better words, AT KGH.....

Everyday , BCAS ambulance helicopters fly so low over our house , it shakes enough to knock pictures off the walls and end tables....

When they do that , we don't complain..... We PRAY... For EVERY soul on board.

God Bless you BCAS..And thank you .

You do realize that you can hire them personally to transport you. Not every lift is for an accident or life and death event.

But I suppose if you are praying for every soul on board you do the same for every aircraft that crosses over your home.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Bibbs wrote:Again please if you are going to make statements get some facts. I do live in BC and hold both licences in both provinces. Do a little google searching and you will find services that run dual roles. I dont need to tell you where I work.
You sure seem to put yourself on a pedestal and know it all. What are your qualifications.
Where in any of your posts did you say you respected ambulance drivers. In your family--boy they must be proud of the bashing you did of them. I tried putting general info on the forum and you turn it into something else.
I agree I dont like to be around anyone who loud mouths and pats themselves on the back either.
I also dont like forum trolls that bad mouth others (family members), have wrong info, make wrong statements and are forum wrecking trolls.
Im afraid I can no longer provide you with info and play your little game. I have tried to present info to you nicely but as I said in a previous statement---"you cant reason with stupid"
Do have a nice day trolling and hope you dont try and ruin someones day

Registration and license in BC is transferable to AB so why you would duplicate that which is acceptable both ways BC/AB or AB/BC seems like overkill and a waste of money. But then when working in the oil patch some employers want the AB certification and the employer might be anal enough to not understand the process.
The dual positions state that firefighting is the main position with medic / first aid secondary.
Lots of jobs out there for those who have the firefighting background and lots with the dual role as well and you do not have to be a senior level medic to get hired...
Bet they pay well too.... so maybe the $2/hr whiners might want to throw a resume into the pile and get their dreams fulfilled of earning a real wage doing what they love to do.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

omisimaw wrote:
Registration and license in BC is transferable to AB so why you would duplicate that which is acceptable both ways BC/AB or AB/BC seems like overkill and a waste of money. But then when working in the oil patch some employers want the AB certification and the employer might be anal enough to not understand the process.
The dual positions state that firefighting is the main position with medic / first aid secondary.
Lots of jobs out there for those who have the firefighting background and lots with the dual role as well and you do not have to be a senior level medic to get hired...
Bet they pay well too.... so maybe the $2/hr whiners might want to throw a resume into the pile and get their dreams fulfilled of earning a real wage doing what they love to do.

How on earth could you possibly think that people should go elsewhere to find work ? If the people that are covering those on call jobs all go to Alberta to work, who do think will cover those Ambulance shifts then ? You really need to learn a few more tons about the Ambulance service.
Black Dogs Matter
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

But I suppose if you are praying for every soul on board you do the same for every aircraft that crosses over your home.

Nope...Just those in the chopper..

Sadly the man who died in that rollover on a logging road didn't them.....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

First I would like to thank the people who sent me PMs.I really appreciate it. I know I said I was done posting but just have a couple comments. If there are other questions I can give my insight to I will. By no means do I think I know everything, just a view from the inside.
1-Again the comments above are wrong
2-This forum I beleive was not about me so please dont continue to try and make it that way.
3-I posted info for people to hopefully be more informed from a insiders view with years of experience about the sysytem and how it works, not me.
4-certainly if you would like more info about this and dont want to put it on the forum, you can PM me. Unfortunately I can not extend this to you O
5-I just ask before anyone makes judgement-get some facts and dont beleive what a certain poster has said as it is 95% wrong info
6-if interested more you can ask a paramedic on the street also. Most are more than happy to talk and share with you.
If you feel, give them a thank you for what they do and other professions also. It can make their day.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...for the record Bibbs - despite the overly negative opinion of a very select minority, please understand that the majority are greatly thankful for the work you do...
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Those were great posts Bibbs, But educating some people is not possible.
Since you work in Alberta, how do they staff remote posts that may only get 10-30 calls or so a year ?
Black Dogs Matter
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

Thanks for the last 2 posts.
I used to do some part time work on the side when I was working full time in the city. The rural area I worked ran the same as the city, at least one advanced care paramedic (just called paramedic in Ab) and one EMT. There are more remote areas of course that will run without a Paramedic. They will have 2 EMTs or one EMT and one EMR. Before the gov took over the city had almost 2 paramedics on each ambulance.
A while after leaving the City and going into the private sector the Province took over the system. Before Citys and towns ran there own with Gov funding. Certainly depends who you talk to if it made the system better or worse. Unfortunately what it did do to alot of smaller areas is it meant no longer could you run a dual service-Paramedic/firefighter. So employees had to choose if they wanted to be on fire side or ambulance side. Very sad as alot of employees chose the fire side as its a better quality of work. So of course that took alot of good Paramedics off the streets. They were mostly all Paramedics that were hired on for that skill and trained up as firefighters also. That is what happened in my case also in the private sector. A lot harder to get Paramedics than firefighters due to length of training.
Sorry bit of a long answer, hope that kind of answers your question.

Return to “Central Okanagan”