Distracted driving

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Distracted driving

Post by Ken7 »

james-d wrote:Lisetning to every one on here complaining about distracted drivers, I laugh. The ONLY possible way to have teeth put into the laws regarding texting and driving, Is if everyone writes thousands of e-mails to ICBC, the communist people who govern ALL the driving laws in BC If you do not believe this, Remember all the crap fed to us from icbc about how speed kills. lol they never cared, other wise they would have increased the fines for speeders to where it made people think twice .Fines in BC are a joke.As long as icky bicky rules we will have no changes.

I disagree with you on one aspect of your comments. About 2 % of the driving population, raising the fine would not change their driving habits of speeding. The rest, it is a positive reminder, as many just wish to live and they tend to slow down. Most people wish to follow the law and make a conscious attempt to do so.

It is no different then stop smoking campaign, just because you see the ill effects you don't but out. In time, there is a percentage that do quit as a result of the campaign and also for their own health reasons.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Poindexter wrote:
If speed the limits they set made any sense I'd agree with you but let's face it, most don't. Last time I was pulled over for speeding I was doing 67 in a 60 zone. Now one else on the road but me and the cop, was I driving a speed that ultimately kills? Not even close , I was exceeding the speed limit by the pace of someone walking. The penalties for speeding are sufficient enough.

On the other hand, taking your eyes off the road and staring at your lap does ultimately kill. Glad to see one gets 3 points and a fine for texting or talking on cell phone. Now they just need to enforce it better to strike some fear in drivers and make them think twice before they reach for the phone.

You're not suggesting you got a ticket... if so I call BS. Most speedometers are not accurate, when you consider winter tires, to summer tires if the size is changed at all.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Ken7 wrote:You're not suggesting you got a ticket... if so I call BS. Most speedometers are not accurate, when you consider winter tires, to summer tires if the size is changed at all.

I did receive a ticket. It was about 10 years ago, driving down Harvey at about 11pm with family in car coming back from the coast. Like I said, just me and the cruiser on the road. I passed her as the light she was stopped at turned green. She was following me when the lights came on. I was floored, in fact I got out of my and walked toward her cruiser because I didn't want my son to hear what I had to say. The officer immediately told me to be back in my car just as a unleashed a rant, "are you stupid or bored" kept asking her. Then she said if I don't get back in my car I'd be charged with disturbing the peace or something moronic like this, so I responded, "thanks for answering my question, your stupid." In hind-site she may have let me off with a warning but I was tired after long day and my rant probably solidified the ticket.

Only ticket I've ever faught but she didn't show up to court. Because of her not showing 3 of us got off, tax dollars hard a work keeping us safe.

Either way, back to topic, I do t have an issue with the way they deal with speeders, think the way young driver are on probation for the first few years has done wonders to slow the majority of offenders which are typically young men. But when it come to addressing texting while driving, like it said before, not even sure what a texting trap would look like since Ive never seen one. It's time they started to instill a little fear in drivers so they think twice before reaching for phone.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Ken7 wrote:You're not suggesting you got a ticket... if so I call BS. Most speedometers are not accurate, when you consider winter tires, to summer tires if the size is changed at all.

Poindexter wrote:I did receive a ticket. It was about 10 years ago, driving down Harvey at about 11pm with family in car coming back from the coast. Like I said, just me and the cruiser on the road. I passed her as the light she was stopped at turned green. She was following me when the lights came on. I was floored, in fact I got out of my and walked toward her cruiser because I didn't want my son to hear what I had to say. The officer immediately told me to be back in my car just as a unleashed a rant, "are you stupid or bored" kept asking her. Then she said if I don't get back in my car I'd be charged with disturbing the peace or something moronic like this, so I responded, "thanks for answering my question, your stupid." In hind-site she may have let me off with a warning but I was tired after long day and my rant probably solidified the ticket.

Bingo...We have a winner!

By your own admission you were in excess of the speed limit. Any discretion the member may have exercised to issue you a warning went right out the window with your behaviour. Not something you should be blaming or criticizing the member.

If it was something you didn't want your son to hear, you probably shouldn't have said it.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Poindexter wrote:Either way, back to topic, I do t have an issue with the way they deal with speeders, think the way young driver are on probation for the first few years has done wonders to slow the majority of offenders which are typically young men. But when it come to addressing texting while driving, like it said before, not even sure what a texting trap would look like since Ive never seen one. It's time they started to instill a little fear in drivers so they think twice before reaching for phone.

Where do you get your information from as to the proportions?

In my experience I have actually found that the majority of people who I have stopped for speeding have been women. The majority of people who I have stopped for doing the more dangerous and reckless acts are young males.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I agree with KL3. It seems to be the younger female drivers are most prevalent that go flying by me on the road.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
CloisteredDrone
Fledgling

Post by CloisteredDrone »

KL3-Something wrote:
Like I said a few pages ago, a start would be for ICBC to start applying penalty points to electronic device tickets. It's the #3 cause of injury and fatal collisions in BC. ICBC needs to actually take it seriously, remove the political hesitation that came with the implementation of the legislation and start applying penalty points.

My guess is ICBC brass and the politicians like using smartphones while behind the wheel like everybody else. The stigma attached to penalty points is just a little more than they can stomach. Fines are easy for these folks to pay, though.

And so, we get a law that's simply window dressing.
That was 'Can You Dig It' by Georgie Wood.
And now we'd like to do 'Hark The Angels Come.'
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Kl3, I'm glad you separate wreckless driving and speeding because IMO they aren't the same thing either. I wasnt aware women have become champs of the lead foot. I also find they are the ones most likely to be texting.

Btw, I wasnt proud of my actions that night, embarrassing to loose my temper in front of my wife and son. I also knew that by telling that story I'd have a bunch of posters riding in on thier high horse. But to pull someone over for doing 7 k over the speed limit is not using the best judgement either.

So back to topic, kl3, what does a texting/cell phone trap look like and have you personally been involved in one? And are we more likely to see this addressed in the future?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Oh and one comment for drone, by your own admission you've been let off a more than once which tells me you like to speed. Did your mama also teach you that? I've been pulled over for speeding just that one time in 30 years. So maybe you should get down off your pulpit and slow down a bit.
CloisteredDrone
Fledgling

Post by CloisteredDrone »

Poindexter wrote:Oh and one comment for drone, by your own admission you've been let off a more than once which tells me you like to speed. Did your mama also teach you that? I've been pulled over for speeding just that one time in 30 years. So maybe you should get down off your pulpit and slow down a bit.

I'd never claim to to be holier than thou when it comes to driving. And I'd certainly never preach from a pulpit given my own record.

Just saying that it pays to be polite, and if someone somehow manages to get a ticket for going 4mph(!) over the limit, maybe the cop isn't the problem.
That was 'Can You Dig It' by Georgie Wood.
And now we'd like to do 'Hark The Angels Come.'
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Today at 11:30 a.m. I'm travelling from Peachland to Kelowana. As I'm travelling up Drought Hill there is this younger blonde female in a black Matrix, BC LIC:120 RL_ tailing me. I had already observed her on two occasions breaking rapidly to avoid running into me. Finally she passes me on the double lane and off she goes, I'm doing the speed limit which must have been too slow for her as she dances to the music on channel K96.3.

As I get into Westbank, there she is again I had caught up to her even though I slowed right down in the 50 zone. As I continue we both hit several red lights. She on two was delayed in following the flow of traffic when the light turned green. We continue and as we approach the bridge traffic slows. Her breaks come on rapidly on several occasions as she comes too close to a large truck hauling lumber. As we make the final turn to the bridge, she on two occasions crosses into my lane the slow lane. The light fluffy snow is causing poor visibility in this zone. As the big truck slows, I proceed past her on the low portion of the bridge. I had on many occasions noted in signs which were no different then a typical impaired driver ( on alcohol ), crossing centre on no less then three occasions, rapid breaking, following too close, and failing to start when lights turn green, and exceeding the posted speed limit to name a few.

As I proceed by her, I have the opportunity to look into her vehicle, surprise she's focusing on her crotch. Obviously preoccupied texting and that was why she drives like she's drunk!

Truly she on three occasions nearly rear ended other vehicles, including me which caused me to pay more attention to her $hitty driving ability!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ken7 wrote: surprise she's focusing on her crotch. Obviously preoccupied texting and that was why she drives like she's drunk!

Maybe she's focusing on her paginis?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Dizzy1 wrote:Maybe she's focusing on her paginis?

You might be correct, either way it would have made a ugly guy also. I do believe it was her I-Phone. Hope someone she knows kicks her in the butt before she's the next one upsidedownandsidewaystoo!

Sadly she could be a mother and they won't take her child away, no learning disability, just stupid!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Ken, I've seen a mother with child in a car seat texting. In that case I actually honked my horn and pointed to her back seat giving her the dreaded head shake. She didn't miss a beat and continued on with impunity.

Not that I'm singling out women and once again my numbers may be wrong but they do seem to be represented disproportionately. Not sure why they just can't stop chatting/texting on the cell when thier children's well being is on the line but it reminds me of an old joke. "Why to men fart more than women?" "Because women can't shut thier yap long enough for the pressure to build." :)
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Poindexter wrote:Ken, I've seen a mother with child in a car seat texting. In that case I actually honked my horn and pointed to her back seat giving her the dreaded head shake. She didn't miss a beat and continued on with impunity.

Not that I'm singling out women and once again my numbers may be wrong but they do seem to be represented disproportionately. Not sure why they just can't stop chatting/texting on the cell when thier children's well being is on the line but it reminds me of an old joke. "Why to men fart more than women?" "Because women can't shut thier yap long enough for the pressure to build." :)

I wonder how Social Services would look at that one, sadly she will raise her child to do the same thing!! Some people do not deserve to have children. Kid might be better off without that mother.

Return to “Central Okanagan”