More handicap parking abuse

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: More handicap parking abuse

Post by Symbonite »

quite funny that everyone really doesnt do much for handicapped people like donating money or time for them but hey....if I cant use that parking spot infront of the place of business unless your handicapped than no one can use it...and thats the only time they care.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Don't park in the handicap zone in Brazil.

Brazilians are getting tired of handicap parking abuse...

... littering - not so much.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

sobrohusfat wrote:Don't park in the handicap zone in Brazil.

Brazilians are getting tired of handicap parking abuse...

... littering - not so much.

Looks like the cop got a real kick out of it. Even snapped a photo including the front plate. I wonder if he got a ticket in the mail???
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Perhaps people should start to be guided by the INTENT of the Handicapped Parking Spaces rather than whether or not to use one of them ??

The intent is that handicapped people should be able to park near the door of a business they want to use. More able bodied people are able to walk further.

In addition handicapped spaces are wider, allowing for their equipment to be placed in and out of their vehicle.

If there is only one or two handicapped spaces for a business or service I do not use a handicapped space but if there are eight or ten handicapped spaces and all or most of them are vacant I will flagrantly break the law and use one of them to load my groceries or jugs of water. If I get a ticket it is my own fault but, IMO, not against the purpose of the law.

People using "handicapped" permits when there is no handicapped person in the vehicle, or fraudulently gaining and using a handicapped sticker is another issue for another time.
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

One has to provide proof of exceptional needs to the City in order to obtain a disability parking permit - They are not simply 'handed out'...If someone is using the permit other than the individual with a disability, the permit holder risks losing the permit, perhaps permanently. If the permit has been stolen, one has to report it as each permit has its own id and such.

One should never assume an individual does not have a disability because looks can most definitely be deceiving :D
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Donald G wrote:
If there is only one or two handicapped spaces for a business or service I do not use a handicapped space but if there are eight or ten handicapped spaces and all or most of them are vacant I will flagrantly break the law and use one of them to load my groceries or jugs of water.

Somehow coming from you this doesn't surprise me at all.

Having needed one of these passes (temporarily) a few years ago while recovering from a medical issue I feel there is no excuse for an able person to use a Handicap parking spot. Whether there are some unused or not it doesn't matter. They are not for your use! Shame on those who do.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I had a handicapped (medical) permit for quite some while but gave it up. Just being stubborn.

As someone said a few comments back. Things are not always as they appear.

"Carry weight" limited to 12 pounds can make a lot of trips necessary.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I hear you but that's why they invented shopping carts. You could also use one of those little pull behind ones or just succeed to the fact you need a handicap permit.

I think it would be more appropriate to have an Ol Farts parking spot rather than a Mom with kids. They are still young enough to walk a little...just kidding.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mae
Fledgling

Post by mae »

I suspect someone was trying to send me a message a couple of days ago when I was parked in a Handicap spot. I had forgotten to place my Mothers sign on the mirror. I sometimes will just place it on the dash as I only use it when my Mother is with me. Well, I now have two nice long scratches on the passenger and drivers side doors. Five hundred dollars deductible on my insurance......so thank you sooooo much for this expense that I can ill afford. You know I get peeved when I see a vehicle in a handicap spot that may not belong there, but to damage a persons property would never enter my mind. Who am I to pass judgement when I may not know the situation. Jeez.....
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm a bit stubborn also.
I'm certainly eligible for a quad parking sign because of my foot issue, but I feel that getting one is admitting defeat.
I've been getting by with getting buff young men to carry my parcels for me.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Tell you what - those parents w/ kids spots are worth their weight in gold.

My 5mnth old and i did a run to home depot the other week. Between him and everything else i carted out with me, it was a busy day, so definitely was a convenience being able use that parking.

Was also amusing, getting the dirty eyes as i pull in and get out. Its only when i sling the puke rag over my shoulder and grab the baby that the forgiving smiles start.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Puke rag? How many cats do you have?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

monroe wrote:Tell you what - those parents w/ kids spots are worth their weight in gold.

My 5mnth old and i did a run to home depot the other week. Between him and everything else i carted out with me, it was a busy day, so definitely was a convenience being able use that parking.

Was also amusing, getting the dirty eyes as i pull in and get out. Its only when i sling the puke rag over my shoulder and grab the baby that the forgiving smiles start.

Those spots are ridiculous, you have a child not cancer. Humans are getting so useless.
mwalsh

Post by mwalsh »

Pookybear wrote:Those spots are ridiculous, you have a child not cancer. Humans are getting so useless.

I have 3 kids 4 and under. I use those parking spaces not because I consider my children a cancer, but given how dangerous a parking lot is for children to be walking in, and the inability of drivers to see my children when entering and exiting parking stalls due to their small stature, it's just purely safety driven the use. The shorter the distance my kids have to maneuver through a parking lot, the safer they are.

That said, never in my life would I consider taking a handicapped parking stall, no matter what the case.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

We didn't have those spots when I was a kid. My parents just told us not to walk in front of moving cars. That worked just fine.

Return to “Central Okanagan”