Dain Phillips

overfifty

Dain Phillips

Post by overfifty »

Please enlighten me. As I understand it Mr. Phillips accompanied his sons to mediate a long standing dispute. They were unarmed as the purpose of the meeting was to resolve the dispute through meaningful dialogue. Known members of an organization acknowledged as a criminal organization characterized by intimidation and violence arrived armed. These antagonists were fully prepared to inflict maximum injury and accept any resulting ramifications to their credit within the organization. My question is - how is this just manslaughter and not second degree murder, or is this what results from a plea bargain? If I follow this skewed logic am I correct in concluding that admitting to the crime somehow diminishes the severity of the crime? Presumably this lame reasoning applies to anyone being charged with a crime. Thank you.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Dain Phillips

Post by LANDM »

Plea bargains have existed for a long time. The crown looks at the risk of not achieving a guilty verdict through trial for the more serious charge vs taking the scumbags off the street with a guilty plea on a lesser charge. Lousy situation but your understanding is correct.
You and 71 others Like this post
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

If there was a video of the event, captured in good quality, I am sure it would have been a second degree murder charge, and quite possibly with the same jail time.
Pretty brave "HA" Norman is, he resorted to using a hammer to injure Mr. Phillips.
That is, when he came back the second time with the Calvary.
The first time he would have got his butt kicked, but instead he ran like a little school girl!
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

let me get this straight,, there was some kind of altercation where dain chased after a hells angel then he shows up at this other event to "negotiate" do I understand that correctly?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

The tragedy is that this started off as a petty high school dispute that the Hells Angles had absolutely no business getting involved in. Norman Cocks was friends with a slimy piece of garbage named Daniel McRae. When you look at the picture of the two brothers Daniel and Matthew McRae, they look like scrawny preppy sleazebags. It's no wonder a petty sleazebag like Norm Cocks was close to them.

The McRae brothers didn't get along with Dain Philips' two sons. It's no wonder why. Dain's sons were wholesome, the McRae's were not. So Daniel sleazebag goes and brings his friend Norm Cocks into the dispute. "Don't screw with me, my friends are Hells Angels." A childish thing for anyone to say even a high school student. Well that's exactly what happened. Daniel brought Norm Cocks to intimidate one of the Philips brothers. Norm who is short but much stockier than Dain's son in High School punched Dain's son in the cheek and told him to tell his brother he was looking for him. Norman pointed to his Hells Angels tattoo and used the gang affiliation scare tactic.

No doubt Dain was upset a grown man in his thirties punched his son in the head over a trivial school yard spat. Dain went out looking for Norman and chased him in his car. Norman ran away from Dain. He was scared of him. Dain could have easily taken Norm one on one.

Suffice it to say Norm ran away from Dain and came back with Robert Thomas. He was supposed to meet Dain with the McRaes but didn't show up. He needed reinforcements. In the statement of agreed facts it said that Norman lived with his father and with Robert Thomas. Thomas' lawyer assured the court they were just friends and that it was more of a big brother type relationship. They weren't living common law. Norm called Thomas and asked if he was home. No was the reply. He then swore and said he needed him right now.

So after running away from Dain and after not showing up to meet Dain with the McRaes he finally showed up with Robert Thomas along with his father, baseball bats, hammers and the loser brothers. Thomas gets out of the truck holding up a baseball bat and a hammer and repeats three times to Dain So you want to F with the Hells Angels? Dain raises his hands in submission and Thomas cracks him in the leg with the bat. Dain stood strong. Then Thomas hit him again in the leg then in the head with the baseball bat. As Dain goes down, little rat bag weasel Norm Cocks jumps out of the car and hits Dain in the back of the head with a hammer. That's when all the other sorry misfits jump in and kick him to death. Jumping in to kick a guy when he's down is pathetic.

They say circumstances don't make the man they reveal him to himself. This circumstance has revealed Norm Cocks to be a sleazebag weasel. History has recorded that forever not just 15 years. That mark he will carry with himself for the rest of eternities into the after life.

http://gangstersout.blogspot.ca/2014/02 ... d-rob.html
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Trial+ ... story.html

Phillips, 51, was trying to resolve the conflict when he met with Thomas, Cocks and the four HA associates on McCurdy Road outside Kelowna at 6:40 p.m. June 12, Bellows said.

He said Thomas got out of his truck and "started skipping towards Dain Phillips yelling 'You want to f--- with the Hells Angels?' "

Phillips raised his arms above his shoulders in surrender, saying 'I'm not here to fight. I'm here to talk this out,' Bellows told Justice Mark McEwan.

Before striking Phillips the first time with a bat, Thomas said: "It doesn't matter, big man. You're getting it," according to the Crown.

Seconds later, Thomas hit Phillips twice in the leg with a baseball bat, but the former semi-pro hockey player didn't fall.

"Using both hands [Thomas] delivered a forceful blow to the top of Phillips's head with a baseball bat," Bellows said.

Cocks then got out of a truck and joined in, striking Phillips "on the top of the head with a ball-peen hammer. Phillips then collapsed on the road."

When Cocks, 33, and Thomas, 49, pleaded guilty to manslaughter last week for their role in the slaying, it was the first time in B.C. that Hells Angels have been convicted of killing someone. They will be sentenced Wednesday.

Bellows said Cocks's dad Robert, the McRae brothers and Schell began to kick Phillips after he collapsed onto the ground from the force of the blows to his head.

He said Phillips and his sons Kody and Kaylin were unarmed during the attack, but had agreed to meet after Daniel McRae called the brothers to work things out.

Earlier on June 12, Kaylin Phillips had run into Daniel McRae and Norm Cocks while he and his girlfriend were at a local recycling depot.

Cocks mistakenly called Kaylin "Kody," Bellows said.

When Kaylin corrected the Hells Angel, "Cocks pointed to a tattoo on his forearm and said 'Do you see this tattoo?' Cocks punched Phillips in the left cheek with a closed fist," Bellows said. "The tattoo Cocks showed Phillips was a tattoo of Hells Angels colours consisting of the death-head logo with the words 'British Columbia' under it."

Bellows said Cocks also told Kaylin to warn his little brother that "the HAs are looking for him."

When the two groups met later in the day, both had extra people with them. Kaylin and Kody, as well as others who were with the accused but not involved in the attack, are expected to testify at the judge-alone trial, Bellows said.

At the time of the killing, Norm Cocks was the target of a separate police investigation that involved both remote surveillance and wiretaps, Bellows said.

An officer turned on a camera set up outside Cocks's house about 6:25 p.m. on June 12 and began to watch what was unfolding from another location, Bellows said.

The Mountie saw Thomas put a baseball bat in his truck. At 6:35, six young males — including some of the accused — got into another vehicle and left. Cocks then joined Thomas in his truck and also left, Bellows said.

Thomas and Norm Cocks and his dad Robert were seen returning to the house about 6:45 p.m., Bellows said.

The fatal beating took place half a kilometre from Cocks's house and lasted just three minutes.

Bellows said all of the accused were wearing gloves at the time of the attack. Dain Phillips's DNA was found on the handle of a hammer located in Cocks's garage.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Hells+ ... z2stBGDrTl
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

So he chases down a hells angel then meets in a secluded spot to "sort this out'? It is beginning to sound more like natural selection to me.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

wow is that how you honestly see it, all i see is 7 goofs killing 1 guy.real solid guys in your books are they.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

read up on the facts...Dain Phillips didn't know Cocks or Thomas...all he knew was some guy punched his kid , so he did what any (or most) fathers' would do was go ask the goof why ??? it was Cocks that backed off and apparently he made it "personal" as to how dare a regular guy would even consider standing up to a little skid wearing a patch and having a tattoo...and remember this was all over a Facebook Comment... also Phillips didn't know he was facing a posse of psycho's when he went to that meeting on McCurdy Rd...your comment comes off like Phillips deserved what he got and that is very ignorant in my opinion...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

too many ha wannabees and ha brown nosers in this town.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

The guys identifies himself as hells angel and punches dains kid,,, the kid tells dain and dain chases the guy down.. do i have that right?

Dain shows up in a remote spot with these guys and you don't think natural selection is in play?

How many of you are dumb enough to do what dain did?
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

Dain shows up in a remote spot with these guys and you don't think natural selection is in play?

How many of you are dumb enough to do what dain did?[/quote][/quote]

Dumb enough? He didn't chase any one down, he was brave and dedicated enough to try and sort this out and spare his son's from unwanted aggravation. His error was thinking that he was dealing with "real men",something that Cutter 7 is surely not, if natural selection is in play I hope he is still single.
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

cutter7 wrote:So he chases down a hells angel then meets in a secluded spot to "sort this out'? It is beginning to sound more like natural selection to me.

You appear to sound "biased" for some reason.
How about this, why are the Hells Angels and Throttle Lockers showing up to a meeting where "high school" aged kids are present?

Norman was friends with his buddy (McRae)at RSS, then the strait shooting Phillips boys couldn't keep quiet about what was going on with the McRae boys, and Norman decided he was going to enlighten the Phillips boys for knowing too much. Norman learned that Mr. Dain Phillips wanted to get to the bottom of the dispute, but Norman figured "it was none of his business", even though he was the father of a son who had been punched in the face.

Also, why would a 30 year old be such good friends with a high school kid (McRae)?
Norman's connection to the McRae boy must have been, purely for business.

Norman was also being monitored by RCMP for other reasons, because the RCMP have a habit of watching new "full patch" members, when they have a chance, as to become a full patch member, you have to do things one wouldn't normally do.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Obviously there is much more to this tragic story than the Facebook version(s) we are reading here. The Philips family has paid dearly and any discussion regarding their involvement would just add to the pain. You don't have conflicts with this crowd by attending church.
More information may become public during the upcoming trials of the remaining accused including the Mccrae brothers.
Please do not interpret this as defending any of the accused.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

No, I am not biased, as a matter of fact if a grown man punched my kid I would have reacted the same way dain did and chase the guy down.

I would not show up at a remote spot once I realize who I was messing with though..

Return to “Central Okanagan”