Cherry Blossom Triathlon - Traffic Notice

JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Cherry Blossom Triathlon - Traffic Notice

Post by JayPeeWhy »

Hi Guys.

Just giving everyone a heads up that there is a new triathlon event happening on Sunday, May 4th. Traffic disruption should be very minimal. Athletes will be on the roads from approx. 8:15am to 10:45am

It is based out of the H2O and both the bike and run route were carefully selected to require zero road closures. That said, it may be worth factoring in another 5 or 10 minutes to your journey just to be safe.

The bike portion will run on Gordon from the H2O to Casorso. The riders will turn right onto Casorso to the roundabout, then right onto Swamp to the next roundabout, continuing on Swamp all the way to DeHart and then back onto Gordon to complete the loop.

Traffic Adjustment:

NB: At intersections affected by lane changes RCMP will be present. At all traffic adjustment areas official flaggers will be present. Race volunteers will be present throughout.

One of the two Northbound lanes on Gordon will be closed to traffic from just South of the H2O all the way to Casorso.
Vehicles heading North turning right onto Casorso will do so from the left lane. It will be obvious. The right lane will be coned allowing bikes a safe path turning from Gordon to Casorso. Vehicles will just follow that path but on the other side of the cones.
Casorso meets Swamp at the roundabout just after the Mission Greenway bridge. At this point both lanes of public traffic will be shifted over by approx. 1 metre to allow lanes for both runners and bikers. There will still be two lanes for public traffic, they will just have been moved. This is only for about 300m until the runners head down by the back entrance to Michaelbrook Golf Course, allowing the riders to regain use of the bike lane.
At the traffic lights where DeHart meets Gordon one lane will be closed to public traffic. Public vehicles will be able to turn right onto Gordon, but they will not be allowing in the right hand turn lane, which will be coned off for rider safety. Vehicles wanting to turn right will simply use the 'straight over' lane and follow the cones round.
Anyone wanting access to CNC should do so through Lequime. The alternate entrance up by H2O will be closed.

As I stated previously, no roads will be closed. A map of the bike course is attached.

To contact the organizers please go through the website: kelownatriathlonclub.org

Thanks in advance for your patience.

BIKE COURSE MAP

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Cherry Blossom Triathlon - Traffic Notice

Post by Lady tehMa »

Appreciate the heads up.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

funny thing is that someone is gonna complain again anyways that it closed the front of their house for a couple of hours or they didnt hear anything about it..lol
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

ermegerd but i use those roads all the time. they're public property how dare they be used for a private event. my tax dollars! zomg!

/sarcasm off :) happy friday
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Thanks for the heads up,make sure it get back on this Page the two weeks before the event..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

I will, hopefully bump it up a month out and then again closer to the time. We'll have posters up on those roads in the lead up and also we will be contacting the local businesses / churches etc to ensure they can pass the info on. We'll do what we can and appreciate everyone's patience.

We should be almost done and cleared by midday.
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

Just a thought. Do you think the naked cyclist would want to register?
terb

Post by terb »

Where can we find more details on this triathlon? Is the registration still open?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

How about a whole group of nekkid cyclists..?
.. Maybe the Triathaknobs will show up for the inaugural event....
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:How about a whole group of nekkid cyclists..?

lmao...I've known you for a long time, but your posts are getting goofier and goofier..
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:How about a whole group of nekkid cyclists..?

I'm thinking you might have a valid point. When you think the average participant would have less then 15% fat, it might be worth standing around to watch the may be some sexy ladies!
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

Ken7 wrote:When you think the average participant would have less then 15% fat

I think you'd be surprised at the variety of people who do triathlons. It's a pretty inclusive sport, with all types training and getting involved. It's more about personal bests and goals than coming first, all weight ranges, all ages - we have some 70+. If anyone is interested in getting involved let me know.
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

Just giving this thread a timely bump.

The Fresh Air Kelowna Cherry Blossom Triathlon is happening on May 4th. Not this weekend coming, the weekend after.

There are no road closures. There are a couple of lane closures (Gordon by the CNC / H2O and also the right hand turn lane from Dehart back onto Gordon).

RCMP and Flaggers will be present. Please be aware of athletes on the road and give yourself an extra minute or two if journeying in that area.

Return to “Central Okanagan”