How did Kelowna Mountain get approval?

vinnied
Lord of the Board

Re: How did Kelowna Mountain get approval?

Post by vinnied »

Symbonite wrote:another thing that would be nice up there is a big RV park. i dont know if he has the room left around that area but what we need is Family tourists and not old people from alberta playing golf all the time.

We lost alot of family oriented centers around here and RV Parks to condos and townhouses that are only used 2 weeks a year.

Anyways good for the guy AND investors to have a vision of family fun around here. I think we really need it...

No way an RV would make it up that hill. He'd have to but in a new road system with less of a grade, and a little wider me thinks
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

It doesn't matter which jurisdiction any developer has to answer to....they still have to adhere to proper procedure.
Do I admire those who follow rules, regulations and laws over those who feel they are above such trivial issues ? Damn straight...as anyone should.

How many years did he lie to anyone who asked - saying he needed no approval, consent or permits because the development was only going to be for his family and friends and was never for the public?
and then....big surprise...he goes public with statements that he had visions of grandeur for a large public development long before he purchased the property.

No hearsay needed...it's all a matter of public record

I spent a 40 year career in land development, in the past 25 years mainly gaining approvals for projects of all sizes from 1 up to 800 lots. What I have found is that the regulatory authorities seem to have a mindset dead against any project regardless of size. Working with a developer who spurned the rules was difficult at times because he bulldozed ahead regardless of the approval process. What I did learn was that if you did not start the project in some way and do the things that could be done, by the time you got an approval you were that much further behind. Kelowna Mountain build it first then sought approval, and they got it because many of the "approval" people do not share the vision, throw meaningless input into the project and generally bog you down. So, when the project is standing finished in front of you, all that is left is a bit of nit picking. The downside is, you run the risk of having to rework the project in some expensive way.
Once the Engineers are involved, as long as the project is properly engineered, there are few that would have something taken apart afterward, more likely some restrictions is applied in the use.
If Kelowna Mountain were to have waited for all the approvals, they likely would still be waiting to start it. And that is why developers bulldoze ahead, they are the visionaries, the approvals are for the insurance company.
Waste not
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

Grandan wrote:I spent a 40 year career in land development, in the past 25 years mainly gaining approvals for projects of all sizes from 1 up to 800 lots. What I have found is that the regulatory authorities seem to have a mindset dead against any project regardless of size. Working with a developer who spurned the rules was difficult at times because he bulldozed ahead regardless of the approval process. What I did learn was that if you did not start the project in some way and do the things that could be done, by the time you got an approval you were that much further behind. Kelowna Mountain build it first then sought approval, and they got it because many of the "approval" people do not share the vision, throw meaningless input into the project and generally bog you down. So, when the project is standing finished in front of you, all that is left is a bit of nit picking. The downside is, you run the risk of having to rework the project in some expensive way.
Once the Engineers are involved, as long as the project is properly engineered, there are few that would have something taken apart afterward, more likely some restrictions is applied in the use.
If Kelowna Mountain were to have waited for all the approvals, they likely would still be waiting to start it. And that is why developers bulldoze ahead, they are the visionaries, the approvals are for the insurance company.

That's disgusting and if that is how developers do business then the fines should be in the millions. Developers have this mindset they are above the rules that are in place and will destroy anything in their way for a few bucks. I remember a still in business developer that mowed down a school on Pandosy that was deemed a heritage building to do a development. He got a slap on the wrist and probably made a ton of money. That kind of business ethic should be fined so heavily and I do believe the couple behind Kelowna Mnt are in that category.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Personally I feel your disgust would be better directed at the process which is lacking, and officials who bog things down for no good reason, thus creating such situations.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Nevertheless, kudos for their website.

http://www.kelownamountainbridges.com/

And some very kind reviews on tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154933-d4541825-Reviews-Kelowna_Mountain_Bridges_Vineyards-Kelowna_Okanagan_Valley_British_Columbia.html

Their patrons seem to be equally as thoughtful, detailed, and articulate . . ..
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

I was up on Kelowna Mountain yesterday and it is ABSOLUTELY incredible. Breath taking views, amazing work, and something Kelowna seriously needed. I can see this becoming a landmark destination! It is incredible! The suspension bridges in Vancouver are huuuuge, and here Kelowna has the LONGEST walking suspension bridge in North America, plus three others. It's beautiful. Go up and see for yourself!
To be inspired.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Have weeds greened-up the gouged-out moonscape any? They were trying to peek through the last I saw.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

How do you like the first part of their development at the 90 degree turn on Chute Lake that was done a few short years ago?
How about the development that was done by the same developer across the lake? Any quality issues on either of those?

Hmmmmm......I wonder how the rest of Kelowna Mountain will turn out?
You and 71 others Like this post
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

what was done across the lake
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I liked what they've done there. Hopefully they'll build a better road going towards the top of the hill at some point ...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

To this day the "no" movement still exists...just accept that it happened and its going forward.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

LTD wrote:what was done across the lake

Cottages at Secret Cove.
Interesting quality.
Much like the quality of the homes at the bottom of Kelowna Mountain.

As for the "no" movement, don't lump me in with that. I just don't like developments that give the "no" people valid ammunition for always saying no. This developer is one who does that.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

LANDM wrote:Hmmmmm......I wonder how the rest of Kelowna Mountain will turn out?

I don't know, why do you ask?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I ask a somewhat rhetorical question because I am wondering about the future of a development based on the actual quality of other projects related to the same developer.
My crystal ball is no better than anyone else's so there is nobody to "ask" as to future events. However, past performance indicates future performance so my crystal ball suggests certain things. Other issues that have popped up on the financial end may also suggest a certain outcome.
So, my asking that question in the way that I did may suggest that I am predicting an outcome that I don't want to come right out and say, based on board rules.

Saying that, I hope it works for them.

Or did you ask that because your name is hmmmmm and I prefaced my question with that.....I just noticed.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

LANDM wrote:
Or did you ask that because your name is hmmmmm and I prefaced my question with that.....I just noticed.

yes, I did.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Central Okanagan”