Farmers Market Members Vote No to Move to Clement

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Farmers Market Members Vote No to Move to Clement

Post by Anonymous123 »

monroe wrote:As i said, theyve been struggling to find a way to make that land pay.

Being a bit cheeky about it still doesnt mean it wont be a good attraction. :-)

Isnt this the same family that had that raunchy little cattle yard out on Harvey? The owners were trying to get it removed from the ALR so they could develop it. City said no, so the owners vowed to make the place an eyesore until the ALR restrictions were lifted.

Not the same people. If it were the same people there would be a feedlot there until the property was re zoned.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Castanet reporter Wayne Moore, quoting Wolf Wesle wrote:"It's a very unruly group - I'm sure you've heard about that. There was too much controversy."

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#113429

Given the nature of some of the remarks that have been posted in this thread, I'd say that's the understatement of the month. LOL

I think the prognosis is for some further posturing and entertainment to be on the horizon.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
joemak

Post by joemak »

I can't figure out why the vendors think the current location is so great. It's the main reason I stay away. The parking and location are just not user friendly. I was one person who was looking forward to the move. Lots of parking and indoors. What more could they ask for? If someone thinks Clement Ave isn't in the centre of town they should check out a city map.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

joemak wrote:If someone thinks Clement Ave isn't in the centre of town they should check out a city map.

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well, who is it that's deciding where the center of the city is?

Seems to be a matter of perspective for the most part, probably chosen by the camp that reasons Orchard Park is the largest mall, hence must be the centre of Kelowna. LOL

If one is taking into consideration the whole consumer base of the area, then Clement is just as centralized as the present location.

I have some acquaintances that are market regulars, and coming from Lake Country, Clement would be less hassle for them than Orchard Park Mall.
bluebay13

Post by bluebay13 »

I talked with many venders today.......most were visibly upset by the latest meeting. I understand that many naysayers to the move were unable to control their emotions, resorting to name calling and vulgarity. I started this forum with the hope that the theme of common sense would prevail with those directly involved. In my opinion this has not happened. I will personally continue to support those venders who have approached this controversy with common sense and goodwill.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

bluebay13 wrote:I talked with many venders today.......most were visibly upset by the latest meeting. I understand that many naysayers to the move were unable to control their emotions, resorting to name calling and vulgarity. I started this forum with the hope that the theme of common sense would prevail with those directly involved. In my opinion this has not happened. I will personally continue to support those venders who have approached this controversy with common sense and goodwill.

I admire your intentions, but it's been apparent from the start, that those who are against a move dug in their heels and refuse to budge.

Concerns they raised about the Clement site, and used to argue against a move, they effectively ignored in regards to the Benvoulin site, which has some of the same issues, to an even greater degree.

Some of the conduct, certainly appears to be that more associated with spoiled children, than mature business people.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

To me it appears they have other motives..
Won't much matter soon... Will have 2 or three markets soon.... Better for the buyers..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I don't know how you can argue that the north end is central. The mall area is the centre of the city geographically and demographically. That's why the big retailers that are only putting in one location cluster in that area. It's not perspective, it's fact. Even for Glenmore (or by extension, Lake Country via Glenmore Rd.) it's only marginally closer. It's 5.2km from the Tim's on Kane Rd to Orchard Park and 4.9km from the same Tim's to the fruit store on Clement. You could argue there's less congestion heading that way, which might be true for now, but will probably even out with development in the area.

I don't think the vendors who don't want to move are being petulant, I think they truly believe that the new location is not going to work as well for them and the area they're already in has proven to be a good one.

I know this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know what will happen with the fruit store that's currently on Clement? Are they opening in another location in Kelowna, or is that the end of the retail sales for them?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Store is moving a block behind, new sign was up but it's down now, probably to paint over the old.

We have shoppers from Westside as well, that puts Clement close to central unless you ignore the Westside.
Don't know how much driving you do here, but coming into K town downtown, backroad from Winfield or Reids Corner, is the easy less stress way..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Store is moving a block behind, new sign was up but it's down now, probably to paint over the old.

We have shoppers from Westside as well, that puts Clement close to central unless you ignore the Westside.
Don't know how much driving you do here, but coming into K town downtown, backroad from Winfield or Reids Corner, is the easy less stress way..

Clement is almost as far West as you can go within Kelowna City limits. It's 2 minutes from the Lake. It's no where near central to Rutland or the Mission. Have a look on Google Maps, it's just no where near central Kelowna no matter how much you want it to be.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

We need a more liberal community market, not a politically driven dictatorship that the current "Market" has become. We need to support local without outdated bylaws and nonsensical policies.
The Farmers Market is not a welcoming environment for vendors and has not been for a very long time. It is dying a slow death with other vendors and vendors not welcomed by their rules going elsewhere.
If you think people sleeping in their vehicles to try and find a spot is welcoming (or safe for that matter) only to find out that they are out of luck then you too have no idea to organize a simple weekly event!
All for the change and welcome the opportunity to be a part of a more liberal and community minded group....
Watching this very closely and hopefully IF the "Farmers" market is allowed to join in to the new venue they do so like in Penticton where the Farmers market and Community market cohab side by side every week supporting small biz in the City and surrounding area without nepotism or favoritism....
Lets hope they do not end up having any direct control over the whole market, only over their own little corner (empire!)
The meeting out of control... what a laugh.... the whole group is out of control!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

goatboy wrote:Clement is almost as far West as you can go within Kelowna City limits. It's 2 minutes from the Lake. It's no where near central to Rutland or the Mission. Have a look on Google Maps, it's just no where near central Kelowna no matter how much you want it to be.

I think we're more talking about the business drawing area in general, not just greater Kelowna.

For someone going from Rutland yes it would be a little further, but then for someone coming from Westbank or Peachland it would be just a tad more convenient.

For those in the Mission it makes little difference, as driving up Benvoulin on an angle, versus going straight down Gordon to the Clement location works out to six or half a dozen of the other pack.

The Market isn't just catering to Mission residents, and I'd be suspect as to how many it gets from Rutland year round.

omisimaw wrote:Lets hope they do not end up having any direct control over the whole market, only over their own little corner (empire!)
The meeting out of control... what a laugh.... the whole group is out of control!

Given the antics of some that I've noted on here, I have to say they aren't doing much to endear me toward considering becoming a client, quite the opposite in fact, and I doubt I'm the only one feeling that way.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

and it makes far more sense to be in the new area as that is a larger hub for tourists.....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

That's the main thing I thought was positive, given the tourists are all down in that area at one point or another.
tabanner

Post by tabanner »

Would downtown not also be the most densely populated area of the city with more developments currently under construction?

Also, it wouldn't just be an indoor market. There would be tons of room for outside vendors as well.

The fact of the matter is no one but the Board as a whole would have the most up to date and accurate, relevant facts and information available to them to make an informed decision on behalf of the vendors.

Return to “Central Okanagan”