New Police Building Gets Green Light

Steve-O
Übergod

Re: New Police Building Gets Green Light

Post by Steve-O »

So if the total building cost "x" amount of dollars and contains "y" amount of cells and by dividing x by y gives you $55,000 (is that the number being thrown around here?) then yes. on the surface it looks like every cell is crazy expensive. But a reasonable person is going to understand that 55g was not the actual cost of each cell.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

City counsel made the statement of the 200 grand per cell figure. It would be good to believe what they tell us. It seems to me that tax payers do not realize that this is their and their childrens money. This issue should be one of need not want.... This is a simple case of - greed and supremecy.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

BelieveNothing wrote:City counsel made the statement of the 200 grand per cell figure. It would be good to believe what they tell us. It seems to me that tax payers do not realize that this is their and their childrens money. This issue should be one of need not want.... This is a simple case of - greed and supremecy.

I disagree - a new police station is needed in Kelowna. They are too split up in various locations and getting all the police services under one roof would make their jobs more convenient and more efficient.

It stands to reason a building for police services would need different construction requirements than any other kind of building. That means more money than building for commercial or residential purposes. I have no problem having a first class RCMP building with up to the minute technology for solving and processing crimes and criminals.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

There is a line Granny , between what is enough and what is just plain stoopid...

I think most people agree with , and welcome a new HQ however , a vast majority of those most people expect AND deserve some sort of fiscal responsibility... I am one of those people

We just don't want to get gouged just because it's a cop shop and they say they need what they only want ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I agree, Mike.

I wasn't thinking of a great free for all whoopee spending spree. They don't need a Taj Mahal or any other fancy architecture. KISS applies here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

grammafreddy wrote:I agree, Mike.

I wasn't thinking of a great free for all whoopee spending spree. They don't need a Taj Mahal or any other fancy architecture. KISS applies here.

Cop basher ........
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:I agree, Mike.

MAPearce wrote:Cop basher ........

What?? What did I say to warrant that?

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Sarcasm Granny.....

But around here ANY questions of the RCMP result in the one asking being given that label....

Don't take it seriously.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

There may be a need for a new RCMP detachment however there is No NEED to build an RCMP detachment that costs 48 million dollars. This is a fact.

There are human beings who live in our community who have no home, why is it more important to spend 48 million on policing than housing for human beings?

No one said it is more important that housing? The fruits of the city and tax payers say it is more important than our brothers and sisters who for whatever reasons have no roof over their head or the gift of feeling secure behind a locked door.

I guess all of you that are supportive of forking out 48 million of your tax dollars to the RCMP detachment care more about your own security from thugs than you do about those that do not have the blessings that you have by going home every night and sleeping in your warm, secure bed.

..... of course you don't even care about your own children's future

More power and money for the RCMP - Simply not what we need.

Again... there is ZERO NEED for the price tag on the detachment.
Last edited by BelieveNothing on Apr 27th, 2014, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

So...Local police office can't get a new building until we have no homeless people?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

BelieveNothing wrote:

I\m with you all the way, but just for the others, can you post your numbers for building that size, built to code and suitable for their rather unique needs? 2x4 and drywall ain't gonna cut it are they?
On a different forum
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

BelieveNothing wrote:There may be a need for a new RCMP detachment however there is No NEED to build an RCMP detachment that costs 48 million dollars. This is a fact. ...got a source to those facts you're willing to share?...

There are human beings who live in our community who have no home, why is it more important to spend 48 million on policing than housing for human beings?

No one said it is more important that housing? The fruits of the city and tax payers say it is more important than our brothers and sisters who for whatever reasons have no roof over their head or the gift of feeling secure behind a locked door.

I guess all of you that are supportive of forking out 48 million of your tax dollars to the RCMP detachment care more about your own security from thugs that you do about those that do not have the blessings that you do by going home every night and sleeping in your warm, secure bed. ...in a word - "yes"...

...why stop there - surely your brothers and sisters need 3 square meals a day too - so do away with the foodbank too before we spend on law enforcement and security...heck, why not make sure there are no unemployed in our area too - no RCMP upgrades until everyone has steady income...what about the single parent that can't afford day care - better cover them too...oh, don't forget about the squeegee kids that can't make ends meet - surely that's a much bigger priority than ensuring law enforcement has some cushy new digs...heck, if you're going to go all in - go all in - no further municipal expenditures until world hunger is solved...cancer too...that's it - no more unecessary frivolous spending until all the world's problems are solved...btw - I do care more about my security, which I work damn hard and pay taxes to support through efficient law enforcement so I can enjoy the blessings which I also work damn hard for...and yes, I do give to local charities which support the homeless and those less fortunate...
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Homelessness is a concern as is safety, food, jobs etc.

There has been no assertion that a new RCMP detachment is not needed, you might consider reading what is written.

The point is that the price tag is extravagant, this is foolish and greedy spending.

An excellent and suitable RCMP detachment can be built for a fraction of this price tag, wisdom would cut a share to all human concerns within our community.

The MOST BASIC of human NEEDS are being left unattended by our community, does anyone know what the BC government spends on homeless and hungry each year?

How about on jobs?.... mmm... they seem to be disappearing, oh but wait... the pipelines are coming... :)

The RCMP are building their empire whether you see it or not, perhaps they need a new garage for their military tank for all the hostage taking that occurs in Kelowna.... so glad they will be working out of such fine new digs (sarcasm)

Selfishness trumps all!
Last edited by BelieveNothing on Apr 27th, 2014, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

BelieveNothing wrote:Homelessness is a concern as is safety, food, jobs etc. ...the safety of the masses trumps the homelessness of the few - sorry - but that's life...

There has been no assertion that a new RCMP detaching is not needed, you might consider reading what is written. ...what expertise do you have to claim the costs are excessive?...

The point is that the price tag is extravagant, this is foolish and greedy spending. ...your opinion - based on what?...

An excellent and suitable RCMP detachment can be built for a fraction of this price tag, wisdom would cut a share to all human concerns within our community....according to who/what facts?...

The MOST BASIC of human NEEDS are being left unattended by our community, does anyone know what the BC government spends on homeless and hungry each year? what's that got to do with policing?...

How about on jobs?.... mmm... they seem to be disappearing, oh but wait... the pipelines are coming... :) what's that got to do with policing?...

The RCMP are building their empire whether you see it or not, perhaps they need a new garage for their military tank for all the hostage taking that occurs in Kelowna ...the unit you speak of is simply based here - available for the entire Southern Interior....... so glad they will be working out of such fine new digs (sarcasm)

Selfishness trumps all! ...you're putting the needs of a few homeless over the security of many can be deemed just as selfish...
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Ignorance, fear and selfishness of the masses trumps common sense, love and compassion (especially so on these forums.
Sad but true.

Logic and Reason

Logic and Reason

Logic & Wisdom

The excessive money being allocated to the detachment could be used to help other serious issues, such as homelessness, that is what these issues have to do with policing - the RCMP are depriving this community of resources it needs and will continue to need in order that they can work like kings.

The price tag could be 20 million rather than 48 million, maybe 1 million could house some human beings, maybe another million could feed a few hungry ones, maybe 1 million ... you know exactly what I am saying.

A few homeless - how ignorant

My points are about the Greed and Extravagance of the RCMP not about homelessness, though homelessness among other things could be decreased if not for the greed of some and complete ignornance of others.

Return to “Central Okanagan”