Aquatic - In the park again?

ferencv

Re: Aquatic - In the park again?

Post by ferencv »

The original "Aquatic" was quite simply a dump. it was ugly, and poorly maintained at best.
What a surprise it burnt down.
Looked like hell from the street, a big green paint peeling, warped plywood lettered box.
Just to be clear, it was NOT an actual enclosed swimming pool, it was the lake with a dock around it.
You had to pay 25c (25 late '60's cents) to go in and then you got to swim in the same water you could have swum in for free.
No amenities to speak of.
It was the right decision by the Council and planners of the time to build the Parkinson center, far more valuable and useable.
All the activities that are being spoken of can be done as the park exists now.
The facilities are already in place, and, there is nothing blocking the view.
Buidling another Aquatic is total "back to the future" nostalgia.
=======================
Simply my 2-Sense
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

So how many Aquacades, Lady of the Lake pageants,concerts and Hydroplane races have they had at Parkinsons?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I have to agree it was a dud theres a reason it never got rebuilt much better ways to spend our tax dollars and it was a little small for hydroplane races lol
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Between Hotsands. And Coldsands beaches.. Large grassy patch there, with a wide concrete strip along the water.

The City sure destroyed Coldsands when they got rid of the natural beach.

Look past the pool and breakwater to see the original beach. This is how it should be rehabilitated to look:

Making it into this ugly seawall that renders the beachfront unusable was a stupid, stupid idea:

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
ferencv

Post by ferencv »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:So how many Aquacades, Lady of the Lake pageants,concerts and Hydroplane races have they had at Parkinsons?

Easy answer, NONE.
Which is the same amount that a NEW Aquatic, or for that matter, the OLD Aquatic, Is, Was, or Would be necessary for.
The nostalgic past is just that, and should be left on the old postcard or news clipping that inspired it.
=======================
Simply my 2-Sense
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I don't think people will pay to swim in the lake. 50 years ago there was no alternative, now there are 3. Also, I kinda like the seawall.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Catri wrote:I don't think people will pay to swim in the lake. 50 years ago there was no alternative, now there are 3. Also, I kinda like the seawall.

If they continue to sell off the shoreline for private docks, and marinas. You might have to have a pool on the lake where you pay to swim, that or rent a boat if you don't have one. Even the Westbank FN won't let you on their private beach. Not sure how that works..
fromph

Post by fromph »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think it's time the citizens give serious thought to getting City Park more back to the way it was.
We had a large oval track. With grandstands, a covered bowl for performers, and concert, dance capabilities in the Aquatic center.. We still have the track and an uncovered performing area.
Today our current city and council thinks, that a 800,000.00 toilet and a tourist info center, are suitable enhancements. And to add insult they proposed moving the bike and maybe walking path away from the lake, near the former Aquatic.
Let's get away from that school of thought.......and stop that madness.. Time for some change.

why not going to Europe and see how things are down,there you want to go to the lake,not here.In Europe there are restaurants,nice walkways cafes.If you take visitors to the the lake here,they ask you is this it?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Catri wrote:I don't think people will pay to swim in the lake. 50 years ago there was no alternative, now there are 3. Also, I kinda like the seawall.

Who says there would be a fee?

I never paid a dime to jump off Athens Tower when I was a kid.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I dont remember paying either..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

ZUD_DAARTZ wrote:You had to pay 25c (25 late '60's cents) to go in and then you got to swim in the same water you could have swum in for free.

I'm too young (I almost never get to say that anymore) to remember it myself so was just going by what I read here. Wouldn't there have to be some kind of fee to cover maintenance in the present day?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I never remember paying 25¢ for anything. I never did, I'm sure of it. We just biked down to City Park and hopped in the water.

We paid a few bucks for swimming lessons, but I'd expect to do that wherever an instructor needs to be hired.

Return to “Central Okanagan”