Local camping suggestions

Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Local camping suggestions

Post by Crazy Horse »

Looking for camping locations in the Kelowna area. I normally camp at Okanagan Lake Provincial Park or Bear Creek, but am looking at options this summer. I really like the relative size and privacy of Provincial Campgrounds, but are there other sites out there that you might recommend? I have a small trailer and prefer not to be shoe-horned into cramped site.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: Local camping suggestions

Post by 1nick »

Fintry,big sites,great hiking and local history tour.
mrsocial

Post by mrsocial »

Anywhere in Valhalla Provincial Park. The most pristine wilderness you ll ever experience. Your welcome.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Mable Lake Provincial park. Two hours from Kelowna . Kelowna to Vernon, then hwy 6 to Lumby, turn North at the sign directing you to Mable Lake Provincial Park then 25 Kms to the park. (last 4 kms is very good gravel road) I believe some of the sites are now reservable. A nice Sunday drive to go check it out.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

There's tons of great camping areas NOT in Kelowna as are being suggested, aside from Fintry, that was a good idea. I too would wonder if there are others in and around Kelowna. I don't think so is my understanding. Beer creek and Fintry is pretty close to all there are as far as I know.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
tamarrash

Post by tamarrash »

Mmmm, beer creek... :D
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

tamarrash wrote:Mmmm, beer creek... :D

of course, its camping....i thought that was the name.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

This will give you tons of suggestions.
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

Thanks for the replies, I am familiar with all the Provincial Parks, just wondering if there is anything else. I can search campgrounds on the net, but I find a lot of private sites are really cramped. Just wondering if anyone out there has some suggestions on somewhere they have stayed that is not so well known
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Depending if you will go off asphalt, there are tons of high mountain lakes in this area The Beaver ,Dee chain out of Winfield comes to mind.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

James Lake Forest Service Campsite 20 minutes from Kelowna up Goudie Rd, and James Lake rd, used to be good camping and fishing. Might still be this year, depending if the mud boggers have ruined the road in, or if the 20 year olds are up there shooting their shot guns!

Postill Lake Forest Service Campsite, Beaver Lake Forest Service Campsite, Beaver Lake Lodge Camping, Lambly/Bear Lake Campsite, Ideal Lake Forest Service Campsite, McCullough Lake Forest Service Campsite, Brown Lake Forest Service Campsite. Kettle River Provincial Campsite (Hwy 33) is big and many private sites. Rock Creek many private camping areas.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would recommend to pick up a Backroads Mapbook of our area. http://www.backroadmapbooks.org/index.p ... cts_id=188 There are camping areas to be found all over the place in our area.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Kelownah
Fledgling

Post by Kelownah »

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Ellison Provincial Park, accessed from Vernon South of Okanagan Landing. Has one of the most beautiful coves on Okanagan Lake. We were swimming there one May long weekend.
Waste not
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

A few nice places in Christian Valley as well........
Does any one know what fishing lakes are open and easy to get to right now? ie: Hidden, McCulloch ????

Return to “Central Okanagan”