A case for dash cams

monroe
Übergod

Re: A case for dash cams

Post by monroe »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
My guess is he was charged as he was because the officers at the scene, one of whom was Bob Charron who has a great deal of experience and no history of just letting things slide, decided that this was the appropriate charge.

It looks to me like possibly the driver mistakenly believed the truck was making a right turn. Mistakes and accidents happen to the best of us. I doubt there is a single person on the road who hasn't made a handful of mistakes.

In civilized nations, we try to make the punishment fit the crime. I'm sure there are some nations out there that would have stoned this driver in the town square; you probably wouldn't want to live in one of those nations. Because they suck.

I dont buy it. On any given day, Failure to yield would probably be best choice - but being there is footage of the collision and it is clear the truck raced the oncoming traffic just to get accross, that seems like Dangerous Driving to me.

not to beat a dead horse but watch the last second before the truck is hit... you can see the truck was trying to squeeze through as the inertia from the guys turn accross the intersection had his truck leaning right over.

for the record, I agree with those who have no prblem with this intersection. If a qualified driver cant negotiate an uncontrolled left turn, they shouldnt be driving.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

westbankkid wrote:I just ordered a dashcam from China yesterday. Complete with mount cost me 17 bucks US delivered to my door. It has it's own power supply as well as plugs into the power port in the car. Also has a slot for an sd card and it says it is infrared.

Remember: You get what you pay for.

The one I am look at putting in my vehicle is in the $150 range.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

KL3-Something wrote:
Remember: You get what you pay for.

I'll let you know how it is when I get it...Might be surprised...If it's half decent it might be something more people can afford. Sure make life easier for you guys if more people have them.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

For those of you who pay ICBC for insurance , and who pay taxes , try adding up how much $$ this DB just cost us. Don't forget to factor in what BC Medical pays out to the hospital that treated the victims. If any of them have any significant injury , there could also be hundreds of thousands more in legal fees and settlements.
This was without any doubt dangerous driving , and there were injuries , so........

Even if ICBC tripled the cost of his insurance for the rest of his life , they would not come close to recovering what he cost the rest of us.

As for the lady driving the truck , it seems from the video that she was traveling the same speed as everyone else. Her brake lights came on almost instantly , so probably not texting either.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Apr 14th, 2014, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic, personal attack
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Right at the start of the video it looks like the black truck is moving from the center lane to the right lane. If that happened it's possible that the SUV driver thought the truck was going to turn right and went for the turn, bad choice. Hope everyone is OK.
Black Dogs Matter
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Dash cams are great! ICBC should cut people a break for those who have one.

Though not necessarily the case here.
When driving through intersections people should be more aware or alert of someone pulling a move like that whether a vehicle or a dumb pedestrian . To often most have their head too far up their a** to even get to tap the brake a little.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

westbankkid wrote:I just ordered a dashcam from China yesterday. Complete with mount cost me 17 bucks US delivered to my door. It has it's own power supply as well as plugs into the power port in the car. Also has a slot for an sd card and it says it is infrared.

KL3-Something wrote:Remember: You get what you pay for.

Yup. The cheap Chinese ones are unreliable. Read http://www.carcamcentral.com/ and http://dashcamtalk.com/ before you buy.

Also, the quality of the TF memory card matters, with Samsung making to best ones. Dash cams from DoD are good, and this one is excellent for the money. (As well as very small.)

http://www.amazon.ca/ojocam-G-sensor-in ... rds=ojocam
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I purchased this one a few weeks ago, but haven't installed it as I'm getting a new car tomorrow.

As someone who drive about 70,000km a year it's a pretty solid investment. *Knock on wood* I've never been involved in a traffic accident, but even if it helps another driver in some capacity, it's paid for itself in my mind.

It got some really great reviews for its price-point.

My favourite feature: The included G-sensor activates the camera when a crash occurs to record exceptional detail about the event, making it a great choice for road tests as well as true emergencies.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Genius-Car-Das ... sc_content
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

People are stupid...... Or just can't seem to loose the "ME FIRST " attitude in this town.

They're cleaning up another one there as of noon today.....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Can't believe it happened again at the same spot literally 2 days later. Unreal. How blind are people??

It's right outside my work's door so I get to see it first-hand.. no accidents in 5 months and then 2 in 2 days. What the heck.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

westbankkid wrote:
I'll let you know how it is when I get it...Might be surprised...If it's half decent it might be something more people can afford. Sure make life easier for you guys if more people have them.

Most electronics are now coming out of China. Yes, they are just like digital cameras different prices and of course quality. Check out this link, anything you want. I even found a lawn tractor which has the "H" on it, they are now being mass produced and imported as it is more cost effective.

GARMIN has one out, $245.00 which also has the GPS included. I will sit back and see before buying, in hopes of getting a decent one at a reasonable price. But a good investment which may save you paying for someone's stupidity.

http://www.made-in-china.com/
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#113082

The driver of the pick-up says he thought he saw the driver of the SUV signaling to turn onto Hardy, but when they did not turn it was too late, and he was unable to stop to avoid a collision.

Routley says charges of Failing to Yield are pending against the driver of the pick-up.

"We cant really blame the intersection, it's inattentive drivers. Pay attention, even if you see a signal light you still need to yield to oncoming traffic."

The same "excuse" many seemed to use about the weekend's rollover.

Just because you think someone is turning right, don't take the liberty of making a left-hand turn without ensuring the path is safe. Seriously, how many extra seconds would one have to wait for that other vehicle to turn/not turn.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Seriously, how many extra seconds would one have to wait for that other vehicle to turn/not turn.

This is Kelowna......

That train of thought doesn't mix very well with the " ME FIRST" attitude .....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

about 1 second longer. just another kelowna goof driver
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”