Has anyone attended Centre for Arts and Technology?

Nelalen

Has anyone attended Centre for Arts and Technology?

Post by Nelalen »

Hello, just hoping I can get some feedback or reviews on the school? Specifically on their Graphic Design and Web Development program. I've heard mixed reviews about it just hoping for something more recent.
Thanks!
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Has anyone attended Centre for Arts and Technology?

Post by mexi cali »

My daughter attended. Very expensive for what you ultimately get out of it.

Some great instructors but we had issues with the administration.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Since negative business reviews are not allowed, you can PM me if you'd like to hear how my experience there was.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I learn everything online. I can assure you that there is no software or technique that theres not a step by step tutorial to show you exactly how to do it. Youtube, Lynda dotcom are just two. You can also sign up for adobe cc and pay 49 a mnth and have access to $1000's worth of there best software.

What the companies need that would hire her/him after grad is not so much some degree but the skills to do great work.

Save your money and buy a great computer and the tools needed and spend the hours each day doing tutorials. This is what I do and did.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Charles Whitman II
Board Meister

Post by Charles Whitman II »

great program, awesome facilites.....

Know lots of graduates...

None of them work in the field (because they still live here)
None are even close to paying off the loan.
"If you're going to be crazy, find a way to get paid for it, or they're gonna lock you up." - HST
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

IMO what is a more important question to ask is, what is the employability of a person once they graduate from that school. At one point in my life I was interested in a particular diploma which was offered at two different colleges in the area I lived. Fortunately, I was advised to contact a few prospective employers to find out which group of graduates they preferred to hire. I was quickly convinced that one of the institutions had a better reputation for developing better skilled and knowledgeable workers when I received the same basic feedback from all those I contacted.

Good luck!
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Time on the tools is the old adage.
It's great that in this field the tools are readily available on-line.
This guy has invested a lot of time.
http://vimeo.com/89535265
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Lunar wrote:Since negative business reviews are not allowed, you can PM me if you'd like to hear how my experience there was.

I'm troubled with this, if the negatives could be presented possibly those in the negative might consider positive change to make their business better!

Also where is the right of free speech in Canada Gone??
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Here we go...
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

I know people that are currently or have previously attended CATO. Obviously there's two here that are willing to share their own views so I'll leave that alone.

That said, as somebody who works in an industry that heavily consumes the very skillset that CATO delivers, I can emphatically tell you the following:

- An education at any arts school may (and should, for the money you're spending) give you a foundation in skills and techniques. However, having a certificate from an arts school won't do anything to get you a job. Nobody cares (see below).

- If you already have arts skills, you don't need schooling at an arts school. If you want to extend that to web development, then you'll want to focus on programming technique. Anything related to web development and art can be picked up online and by just simply doing it with some mentoring, working on your portfolio.

- Programming, while an artform, isn't art. You'd be better picking up your javascript and "language-and-platform-du-jour" skills from a bonafide IT program. Nobody will hire a web developer based on any certification from an arts school/institute.

- If you are trying to break into media doing actual art, your degrees and certifications mean exactly zilch. You will need a portfolio, passion, and the ability to do an art test. If I asked you to give me a comp for a fast street-racing car in three days, and you can go away and do that and give it to me, then you already have all that you need to present to anybody in media that will actually pay attention to you.

- Additionally, connections, networking, and an online profile/portfolio that you can share with colleagues. A good LinkedIn profile. Go to events like Siggraph. Be prepared to move, because there's more students in the washroom at CATO than there are jobs to support them in the Okanagan. If you're trying to do 3D, environment art, rendering or VFX - all the real media companies are down here. There's some smaller gigs going on up your way, but they're somebody's hobby - and hobbies generally don't pay much.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Ken7 wrote:Also where is the right of free speech in Canada Gone??

1. Go here: http://www.rackforce.com/ or here http://www.canhost.ca. Rent a server and get a domain.
2. You can get the domain here:
2. Go here: https://www.phpbb.com/. Download and install the software on your server.
3. Go here: http://www.castanet.net/advertise/. Buy some advertising to draw people to your forum
4. Post your negative review.

If the government stops you from doing that, come back and tell us that your freedom of speech has been violated.

Freedom of speech means you can say something, not that others have to pay to let you say it. Welcome to the privately owned forum of castanet.net. No negative reviews.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

You may know more, and you may learn more ... but in the end, if you aren't "connected", the only ticket in to the "old boy's (and girls) club" is with a degree from a recognized university.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

delSol97 wrote:You may know more, and you may learn more ... but in the end, if you aren't "connected", the only ticket in to the "old boy's (and girls) club" is with a degree from a recognized university.

For a job in arts? Not a chance. Portfolio, the ability to do an arts test, and networking. Those are the three things that will get you a job in video, games, and media. Nobody will pay attention to your degree.
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

Post by blondewithbrains »

My daughter is currently in a Graphics Design program but chose not to go to CATO due to the cost and the length of the program. She as well hadnt heard too many positives about it so decided to look at other options. She had been advised by a well known graphic designer to register in a course that is no shorter than 2 yrs due to the amount of education that would be missed. If your child is currently in the public school system, get them to talk to their counselor to find out the schools in Canada who run these programs and also investigate the difference in the programs as they focus on different types of study so you have to figure out what is best for what they are interested in. My daughter ended up at Vancouver Island University, which is a 4 yr university Bachelor of Arts with the major in Graphic Design and it was cheaper for her to move there and pay for the schooling than the 18 months at CATO. She also has found when looking for summer work, there are more jobs wanting people who are currently enrolled in a design course or have finished one with a diploma or degree.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

blondewithbrains wrote:My daughter is currently in a Graphics Design program but chose not to go to CATO due to the cost and the length of the program. She as well hadnt heard too many positives about it so decided to look at other options. She had been advised by a well known graphic designer to register in a course that is no shorter than 2 yrs due to the amount of education that would be missed. If your child is currently in the public school system, get them to talk to their counselor to find out the schools in Canada who run these programs and also investigate the difference in the programs as they focus on different types of study so you have to figure out what is best for what they are interested in. My daughter ended up at Vancouver Island University, which is a 4 yr university Bachelor of Arts with the major in Graphic Design and it was cheaper for her to move there and pay for the schooling than the 18 months at CATO. She also has found when looking for summer work, there are more jobs wanting people who are currently enrolled in a design course or have finished one with a diploma or degree.

I work at a not-so-little games publisher in Burnaby. The department I work in deals with building and managing their web properties (ie., an internal digital agency). There's also a plethora of other folks around that do media related to the games (environment art, media assets, video, audio, etc.) I'm kinda in tune to what the industry wants and needs - and a diploma or a degree won't get you a job in media. Having skill, and being able to prove it with actual work samples and being able to perform (via an Art Test - aka, doing a comp) will.

Return to “Central Okanagan”