Remember those oak trees @ Orchard Plaza II? Look again.

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Remember those oak trees @ Orchard Plaza II? Look again.

Post by kgcayenne »

*shrugs* I didn't realize it until now, but since they cut the trees down, we have been shopping more at Save-On and/or Urban Fare in the mission. (Save-On in the mission still has a few shade trees.)
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

... and how many trees are there outside Urban Fare?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

None that's why I didn't say anything about trees in the UF lot, silly. Edited to say: I was wrong, there are six nice, green trees in the parking lot between UF & Starbucks.

It's just something that happened, and wonder if the razing of the mature trees has contributed to Orchard Plaza's drop in appeal to us. Maybe others have noticed a shift in their shopping habits. Hey, our patterns may return to original once the construction has completed, but until then, it's not worth the hassle. So is it the destruction of beautiful trees, or the inconvenience of the construction that has pulled us away? Time will tell.

Heaven forbid trees mar the beauty of manmade concrete and paving stones placed by precision artisans in the craft. Oxygen is overrated, anyway.[/sarcasm off]
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Catri wrote:They've already started replacing the trees. I haven't looked closely but the new ones looked like locust to me, which will do much better than the oaks in a parking lot environment. I say good on them for replanting, it's definitely an improvement to the aesthetics of the place.

Drove thru their today and yes they are placing new young tree's, shade trees will be back once they grow.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Anyone notice how they've been butchering the remaining trees on the south side of Orchard Park Mall along Springfield Road?

They've been working on it for at least three days now, and all I can say is they've turned what was beautiful trees into something ghastly. :200:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Old Techie wrote:Anyone notice how they've been butchering the remaining trees on the south side of Orchard Park Mall along Springfield Road?

They've been working on it for at least three days now, and all I can say is they've turned what was beautiful trees into something ghastly. :200:

I mentioned this very issue in another thread recently:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74576&p=2241659&hilit=asplundh#p2241659

Why anyone of reasonable intelligence (one would expect that to be a requirement of anyone holding a position in a city planning and development office) would not question the planting of trees that reach upwards of 40-50' - directly under power lines on city boulevards approximately every 40 ' apart. Take a look at the trees on the opposite side of the street and their size (not requiring regular topping/pruning). They're massive - and just scream "plant me under power lines!" Not. Totally agree that the trimming makes for some truly hideous trees, and won't even touch on the cost of this dog and pony show that it costs us good old tax payers. Well done city of Kelowna Planning and Development officers. Unbelievable.

Btw: traveled Springfield an hour ago - and they're now almost down to Springfield and Spall. The power lines change sides of the road at the Springfield and Burtch intersection.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Sing along gang....

"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot....yo yo..hey..hey "

Joni Mitchell

:-X
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

WalterWhite wrote:Btw: traveled Springfield an hour ago - and they're now almost down to Springfield and Spall. The power lines change sides of the road at the Springfield and Burtch intersection.

I just went down Springfield too and I have to say whatever they call that it sure isn't my definition of pruning.

They lopped off two thirds of the trees canopy and they now look more like umbrella trees than maples.

I mean I agree putting them under power lines was more than questionable in the first place, but since they are there, and need to be kept in check, can't they prune them in such a way that they still retain some semblance of being a tree, and appeal to the eye symmetrically?

This looks like nothing more than a butcher job anyone owning a saw could do.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
manuel1

Post by manuel1 »

Pics would help if anyone can snap some.

My hypothesis is that contractors get paid by the hour, not the piece. So they more they "prune", the more they get paid.

Thoughts anyone?

Return to “Central Okanagan”