New hotel off to council for approval

TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: New hotel off to council for approval

Post by TimmyE »

There's nothing Joe Citizen could have done about it. We might as well get used to it as you can't fight city hall.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

I disagree. What I think we're seeing is that only the vocal minority has any interest in stopping development in the city, and that when they eventually realize the majority disagree, they will finally stop complaining. All this means is that if the majority speaks up more often, we can stop the complaining before it gets out of hand.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

hope it doesn't end up like the building on sunset. Cant imagine what tourists would think of that.
interesting read from the daily courier on all kelownas failed high rises
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... f6878.html
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

TimmyE wrote:There's nothing Joe Citizen could have done about it.

Yes, if Joe Citizen is against the project but the general public in general is overwhelmingly supporting it, there's nothing Joe Citizen can do about it. And that's a good thing - majority rules!
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Aug 27th, 2014, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Lerfy wrote:I disagree. What I think we're seeing is that only the vocal minority has any interest in stopping development in the city, and that when they eventually realize the majority disagree, they will finally stop complaining. All this means is that if the majority speaks up more often, we can stop the complaining before it gets out of hand.

Is that why Wally &Co got turfed out of office over the CD21 proposal?
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

This hotel was a done deal back when Westcorp was awarded the public pier. The West end of Queensway (between the new round about and Kerry Park) was already designed and out for tender with the 15-20 parking stalls removed before this hotel was even put to public hearing. Nobody spends the money they spent on a design that is contingent on buying a public street without having an agreement to buy a public street. You will probably find the redesigned West end of Queensway by the city falls right in place with the designed front entrance of the hotel
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

drex1999 wrote:This hotel was a done deal back when Westcorp was awarded the public pier. The West end of Queensway (between the new round about and Kerry Park) was already designed and out for tender with the 15-20 parking stalls removed before this hotel was even put to public hearing. Nobody spends the money they spent on a design that is contingent on buying a public street without having an agreement to buy a public street

So why the roundabout then? If you go up Queensway, you will only go a block, if you go down Queensway you will only go a block, if that. Kind of a useless roundabout.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

The round about is for ease of getting the busses onto/off of Water street. It falls in with the bus depot overhaul.
neroas
Fledgling

Post by neroas »

Ah, I don't care if the downtown looks like crap. I avoid it anyways. Enjoy the crap jobs it brings that don't pay well.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

drex1999 wrote:The round about is for ease of getting the busses onto/off of Water street. It falls in with the bus depot overhaul.

A traffic light would have made it easier for the busses.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
canucksfan17

Post by canucksfan17 »

Lerfy wrote:I disagree. What I think we're seeing is that only the vocal minority has any interest in stopping development in the city, and that when they eventually realize the majority disagree, they will finally stop complaining. All this means is that if the majority speaks up more often, we can stop the complaining before it gets out of hand.

You sir have perfectly said what I was just about to say.

This is what I say to the people of which are opposed to highrise development.

For those who are worried about "saving the environment" - Building up not only preserves the environment and saves space by building taller rather than building outward, but all new buildings are being built to be environmentally friendly and many utilize sustainable energy, heating, cooling, etc.

For those who live downtown - Have you not noticed, downtown Kelowna is literally a sh*t hole. I cannot walk down Leon or Lawrence at anytime of day or night and feel safe. Not only is downtown ghetto and dirty, but it is not well enough populated. It is pretty much dead unless it is a weekend, then all the college kids are out clubbing. If council would further allow more high rise development, it would not only make our downtown look cleaner and more modern, but it would bring more people downtown which would be beneficial to the businesses downtown. Furthermore, having a higher population downtown would make it safer, as more people would be out and about and more police officers would be working downtown directly because of the population increase.

For those rich and famous people who have a lake view - How badly will a few tall buildings impede your view? Would not the city lights look even better if we had a skyline? From driving up in some of those areas, it doesn't seem likely to me that one's lake view would be totally blocked by a few tall buildings.

For those who want to preserve the Kelowna of the 50's - Well times sure change, we cannot undo what has been done. Kelowna is not a small town. I think that certain aspects of our great heritage and history of our city must be preserved, but building a few tall buildings will not have any affect on heritage sites. What looks better, a parking lot, or this new building? If you keep encouraging a small town atmosphere it just makes the city less appealing for young people and young families to work and live here. Would suggest getting out of doge and moving to a small town such as enderby.

For those who want to see the economy of the city suffer - Well I would suggest that you also leave town. Buildings such as these ones provide hundreds of jobs, both temporary and permanent.

For the Delta Grand owners/operators - Well it looks like you guys are going to have competition once this hotel gets built, maybe you should start charging a little less :)

The more than 200-suite boutique hotel will feature street level retail shops, a restaurant, parkade, coffee shop and conference centre. Like what is there not to like about this?
As I said before, I will never repeat myself again.
Change is good, but dollars are better.
Polish people and the Calgary Flames, two different things, but so similar.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

canucksfan17 wrote:The more than 200-suite boutique hotel will feature street level retail shops, a restaurant, parkade, coffee shop and conference centre. Like what is there not to like about this?

You might want to look up the definition of boutique hotel. If it were an actual boutique hotel, I would have supported it.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I really don't think that this Hotel will be any cheaper than the Delta Grand, considering they "own" (for the next 20yrs) that new fancy pier and have no problem charging $5 for a 15 minute drop off....nice score for Westcorp, they now own a public street to go with their public pier..it's also great that they are asking us residents to help name it...how wonderful...
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

canucksfan17 wrote:For the Delta Grand owners/operators - Well it looks like you guys are going to have competition once this hotel gets built, maybe you should start charging a little less :)

Hear hear! I think it's terrific that those looking to plan conventions in Kelowna will now have a choice of venues.

The Grand has been holding a monopoly on this for some time, and I think the $19 bowl of granola and yogurt breakfast will have to be rationalized to something a bit more reasonable.

Also, I think with choice and competition, more people will book conventions here, and that is a huge boost for Kelowna's economy.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

why would this Hotel be any cheaper than The Grand ?? sure $19 a bowl for some cereal and yogurt sounds like alot...BUT just remember someone has to pay for those hundreds of "high paying" jobs this is going to create...or maybe they will be able to charge way less if they employ lots of min wage part time employees ?? and the Grand is not the only place to hold a convention in this town...I truly doubt this Hotel will be charging less than the rest ...infact I wouldn't doubt if it will the highest priced place to patronize..you really don't think Westcorp isn't going to make customers pay for the "view" and location ??

Return to “Central Okanagan”