Gas $143.9

A potpourri of off-topics.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by Partmanpartfish »

bob vernon wrote:Like Ricky said, it's just a matter of supply and command. BigOil controls the supply and they command that you pay whatever they want.
The folks who complain the loudest about gasoline prices are the same ones who are the biggest fans of capitalism. In Canada, not only do we allow the big oil corporations to fix the price in collusion with each other, we give them subsidies for being good enough to come to Canada and drill for oil. Isn't it great when you turn over control of your government to BigOil?

{{Clutching pearls}} Eeeek! I hope you're not suggesting Mr. Harper has some allegiance to Big Oil and favours the industry over the good of common Canadians.

It's interesting that "the biggest fans of capitalism" are also the ones that want to turn the city over to an inexperienced nincompoop with a 40 ft. head who is in the pocket of developers.

Go figure.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Phoenix Within wrote:Yep, looked up prices and the lowest prices in van vary from 1.18 to 1.21. Still lower than here. Doesn't metro Van also have like a 10 cent fuel surcharge? How again is the price not fixed around here?

the truth wrote:correct, and that tells you all you need to know about the gas station owners in this town

Something does smell fishy

Terminal price out of Kamloops is .736 per/litre
Terminal price out of Vancouver is .713 per/litre

Only difference would be transportation costs from Kamloops to Kelowna, wonder who pocketing extra. Well, it's not oil companies there costs & profit are in the terminal price.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
greenmile

Re: Gas $ 143.9

Post by greenmile »

Bsuds wrote:The gas companies are so predictable...filled up the day before.

These gas companies in the okanagan love screwing us Abostsford is now at 108.9 per litre
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Gas $ 143.9

Post by Glacier »

greenmile wrote:These gas companies in the okanagan love screwing us Abostsford is now at 108.9 per litre

Why do you always compare Kelowna to better places. It's like saying Kelowna sucks because Ottawa always has lower crime while completely ignoring the crime rates of Prince George.

BTW, Prince George has a refinery, and they still aren't cheaper than Kelowna.

Whiners always compare Kelowna prices to the cheapest possible location in BC, but they never compare Kelowna prices to the most expensive, nor even an average priced location. If you look at the gas price map, Kelowna looks pretty average for BC. You wouldn't know that by reading this thread.

gasprices.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Blast

Post by Blast »

Today's Phoenix newspaper:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/bu ... /17896523/

Today’s prices in Kelowna converted to US gallon is $ 4.7658.

Gas prices have dropped nearly 30 cents per gallon(.34 cents Cdn) in recent weeks, pushing regular gasoline at some Phoenix-area gas stations below $2.70 or approx $3.03 Cdn, and experts predict prices will continue to drop for several weeks more.

The falling prices, which are at their lowest in nearly four years, are estimated to be saving metro-Phoenix motorists more than $1 million a day.

The average price nationwide is at a 45-month low. The statewide average, which is higher than Phoenix prices, is expected to drop below $3 per gallon to a low not seen since February 2011.
"We are not seeing anything in the short term that could interrupt the price decreases we've seen," said Stephanie Dembowski, an AAA Arizona spokeswoman.

Arizona's overall average price for a gallon of regular fuel was $3.04 ($3.42 Cdn) on Friday, down 27 cents (.30 cents Cdn) in the past month, according to AAA Arizona and the Oil Price Information Service.

The last time it hit $3.04 was January 2013.

Metro Phoenix residents buy more than 4million gallons of fuel per day, according to the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures, so the 29-cent decrease in Phoenix prices seen in the past month means that every day people in the area spend $1.2 million less on fuel than they did a month ago.

The average price of gasoline in Phoenix finally dropped below $3 Wednesday, when the price averaged $2.99 per gallon of regular, according to AAA and the Oil Price Information Service. By Friday it was down to $2.96. The East Valley average was even better, $2.93 per gallon.

There is a wide spread among stations, with several in the area still selling regular fuel for more than $3.00 per gallon.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration attributes the low gas prices to the recent drop in the price of crude oil on global markets. The agency thinks gas will continue to decline into December.
The EIA also expects customers on average to pay less for fuel throughout 2015 than they did either this year or last.

Arizona's prices are right in the mid-range of the country. The most expensive gas in the U.S. is in Hawaii, at $4.07 a gallon. The cheapest gas in the U.S. is in Tennessee, where the average price is $2.82.

Gas prices follow oil, and weak global demand has sent oil prices lower. Increased U.S. production has helped to moderate oil prices as well. The EIA predicts that U.S. oil production in 2015 will be at its highest level since 1970.

Oil prices saw a small increase earlier this week but remain at about $85 per barrel, compared with more than $100 per barrel during the summer. Patrick DeHaan, an analyst with Chicago-based GasBuddy, expects continued drops despite the small bump this week.

"There has been a lot of volatility in the market, especially with the Dow," he said. "I don't think the brief upward trend in oil will continue. Arizona and Phoenix will not see (gas price) increases, just the decreases will slow down."

DeHaan said the average price in Phoenix could get as low as $2.90 or even $2.80, which would mean drivers could find stations selling gas well below that price.

Several stations already are offering fuel in that range.

The price was $2.92 per gallon for regular fuel Tuesday at the Quik Trip at 27th Avenue and Thomas Road in Phoenix, where Georgia Totress of Phoenix was filling up for a trip to Flagstaff.

"I've noticed the drop in prices," she said as she filled her Jeep Patriot. "Every time I go by here I look at the price, and that's why I came in today."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Blast wrote:Today's Phoenix newspaper:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/bu ... /17896523/

Blast wrote:There is a wide spread among stations,

Blast wrote:DeHaan said the average price in Phoenix could get as low as $2.90 or even $2.80, which would mean drivers could find stations selling gas well below that price.

Blast wrote:Several stations already are offering fuel in that range.

I think that part of the story blows my mind more than the price of oil.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

For those of us who are unfortunate enough to require hi-test gas, you might be interested to know that the "surcharge" for 91 octane over the regular price is normally 17 cents, whereas Chevron, who has four grades of gas, has a surcharge of only 14 cents. Their top grade, 94 octane, is quite a bit higher.
Bumblebuns
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

bumblebuns wrote:For those of us who are unfortunate enough to require hi-test gas, you might be interested to know that the "surcharge" for 91 octane over the regular price is normally 17 cents, whereas Chevron, who has four grades of gas, has a surcharge of only 14 cents. Their top grade, 94 octane, is quite a bit higher.

Most people who "think" they need high-octane gas usually don't. Does your vehicle manual actually state you need it, or do you just think you do?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

36Drew wrote:
Most people who "think" they need high-octane gas usually don't. Does your vehicle manual actually state you need it, or do you just think you do?

Strange gratuitous comment. This thread is about the price of gas, not the mental acuity of people. Yes, you'll be delighted to know that my manual does indeed state that 91 octane or higher is required.
Bumblebuns
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

bumblebuns wrote:Strange gratuitous comment. This thread is about the price of gas, not the mental acuity of people. Yes, you'll be delighted to know that my manual does indeed state that 91 octane or higher is required.

Not really a strange gratuitous comment,when taken in the context that this a thread about gas prices and knowing that 91 octane is that much more expensive.

I have one vehicle that requires 91 octane. It's a motorcycle. The engine is high-compression. The other two vehicles that I have are just regular street cars that are not high-compression and are well-served with 87 octane.

There are a lot of people that will drop in 91 octane only because they somehow think that there's a performance improvement or an improvement to their car's mileage when there's really none to be had Those people are simply wasting money on gas.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

bumblebuns wrote:For those of us who are unfortunate enough to require hi-test gas, you might be interested to know that the "surcharge" for 91 octane over the regular price is normally 17 cents, whereas Chevron, who has four grades of gas, has a surcharge of only 14 cents. Their top grade, 94 octane, is quite a bit higher.

I think some Chevron's have 3 grades as I remember the truck at one that was filling the station was carrying 2 grades of gas and when I asked how they fill the middle grade gas, I was told they mix the high and low octane, which seemed to leave room for error.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

102 here today in Edmondump
Sure do love Rutland!!
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Gas is $118.9 in coquitlam and they have the RAV tax. Talk about gouging. C'mon PC's and Lib's time to do something. Ohhhhh wait. Harper is in bed with the oil companies..
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

zzontar wrote:I think some Chevron's have 3 grades as I remember the truck at one that was filling the station was carrying 2 grades of gas and when I asked how they fill the middle grade gas, I was told they mix the high and low octane, which seemed to leave room for error.

Chevron Supreme Plus
Octane rating of 94 recommended for cars where the utmost in performance and cleaning power is required.

Chevron Supreme
Octane rating of 91 recommended for cars where the manufacturer recommends use of premium grade gasoline.

Chevron Plus
Octane rating of 89 recommended for higher-performance cars and engines prone to knocking on lower octane levels.

Chevron Regular
Octane rating of 87 recommended for most gasoline-powered passenger cars and trucks.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^ 94 octane recommended for those who are convinced their beat up Civic is a high performance sports car ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Grab Bag”