Does Kelowna need the Gospel Mission?

squirt10

Does Kelowna need the Gospel Mission?

Post by squirt10 »

Do kelownians need this service? Do we need a soup kitchen? Is the location a eyesore for the downtown core?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Does Kelowna needthe gospel mission?

Post by oneh2obabe »

squirt10 wrote:Do kelownians need this service? The people who use it need this service.
Do we need a soup kitchen? Apparently we do if the number of people receiving meals or having a bed when needed is any indication.
Is the location a eyesore for the downtown core? Where would you suggest putting it? If you're concerned about it being an eyesore why not offer your service to help paint or spruce it up?
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jun 6th, 2014, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, I do like soup...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
pssts

Post by pssts »

No.
PSSTS
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

pssts wrote:No.

Obviously someone has ever gone hungry or had to wonder how they would survive a night outside in sub zero temperature.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Then you can open your doors to the homeless and hungry!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Re: Does Kelowna need the gospel mission?

Post by vinnied »

The beds are full and they're having to lay out mats on the floor. I'm guessing its needed, and well used.
And as the price of everything keeps going up, and more and more people end up homeless, well probably need another one in town.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

squirt10 wrote:Do kelownians need this service? Do we need a soup kitchen? Is the location a eyesore for the downtown core?

Perhaps if you were kind enough to volunteer you would understand the need.
kelownawriter
Fledgling

Post by kelownawriter »

My family needed the mission two summers ago when my mother's tooth needed to be pulled and there was no way we could afford dental. Too poor for dental, not quite rotting and infected enough for medical to cover removal at ER. It was hardly a comfortable experience, but a big relief. Yes they are needed.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

YES...it most certainly is needed!
In fact, there are several shelters in town...and all are needed.

I volunteered at Inn From The Cold before I moved to the west side.....and anyone who thinks they are an eyesore that are not necessary, needs to do the same.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Oh, really? Do you mean that you don't need it or Kelowna doesn't need it? Or is it that you just don't care whether or not anyone needs it? Possibly, it's that you're uncomfortable that there are people who need it? Is there something, perhaps more trendy and upscale, that you would like to see in that location?

By all means, share your ideas with us.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

squirt10 wrote:Do kelownians need this service? Do we need a soup kitchen? Is the location a eyesore for the downtown core?

Are you *removed* serious? And who is this "we" who may or may not need a soup kitchen?

I know working people who are getting by on fewer and fewer resources. One pay day the payroll was screwed up and there were many worried people concerned about several things, not the least of which was that their account would be dinged with charges for going below a certain level and the fat Banks would get more of their money.

The Gospel Mission has to put out information packages constantly due to *removed* people *removed* putting them down as "not needed."

Did you know the GM helps people get homes? Get clothing? Get household goods? Helps with employment training and placements?

Are they needed?

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jun 7th, 2014, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate remarks
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Unfortunately yes.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

vinnied wrote:The beds are full and they're having to lay out mats on the floor. I'm guessing its needed, and well used.
And as the price of everything keeps going up, and more and more people end up homeless, well probably need another one in town.

Not to mention, the addiction and mental health issues that cause many of our homeless to end up that way, aren't going away anytime soon.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
okanagan_sports
Fledgling

Post by okanagan_sports »

One of the main benefits of this Castanet discussion forum is, it's a kind of a social thermometer to guage the amount of disdain and/or lack of compassion for the Okanagan's poor or so called "lower middle class."

It reveals a darker side to many of you, after you scrape away the pseudo friendliness and the alledged good weather of this area. What is left is an inherrent nastiness about people here and therefore, "screw unto others."

From what we have seen, so far, some Okanagan residents are apparently quite uncomfortable with the fact that the poor really do exist at all and therefore, steps are taken to a) pretend that the matter doesn't exist or b) strip away all social services, altogether, and get tougher on crime, by throwing all poor people in jail. LOL

That Stephen Harper slash Victor Toews philosophy is clearly b.s. and is the main reason why a change in government is perhaps needed in 2015.

You don't really improve social conditions by throwing the entire lower class in jail. Instead, to permanently conquer poverty and hunger, we must tackle the real roots of poverty, which is to create a higher standard of living and also, training the population to realistic careers where the community badly needs workers in certain areas.

In other words, no point in training to be widget makers, if there is an innate shortage of health care workers in this area, which there is.

Since many of you who oppose social programs for the poor are frequently supporters of the Conservative Party of Canada, I find this arrogance about you right winged people towards social injustice and poor people in general.

So yeah, instead of taking that extended out of town trip to Vegas or Palm Springs, maybe also consider volunteering a few hours at the local food bank or women's shelter while you still happen to live here ?

That doesn't require money, but just a small donation or your time and you'll feel better doing it.
In the battle between the Lion and the Wolf, the Lion shall kick the Wolf's *bleep* !

Return to “Central Okanagan”