Does Kelowna need the Gospel Mission?

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Does Kelowna need the gospel mission?

Post by mexi cali »

Not sure what the numbers are today, but four or five years ago, there were somewhere between 250 and 300 homeless living in and around the Leon/Lawrence/Park area.

Lets ask this. If the GM isn't there, where do these folks go?

The GM has approximately 65-70 beds. The majority are in a communal area and there is a section that is separate that has something around 10 beds in it for those who are paying to stay there. These folks pay about 350.00 a month for their room and board.

When you arrive at the gm, you have one week, if there is a bed, to stay where the ministry pays for that week. After that, you either come up with the money to stay longer or you have to move on.

They have counsellors on staff who are skilled and who care about people. They know what these folks are going through.

While it is a good place to have available if you find yourself up against the wall for whatever reason, it isn't a place where most would wish to be. But again, if it's not there, where do they go?

Pretty sure that if the mission closed, homelessness would not miraculously disappear.

They offer access to medical and dental care. My daughter has volunteered with local dentists who donate their time to assist those who need emergency dental care. Imagine an abscessed tooth and no where to have it treated?

Hot coffee and snacks in the morning. Lunch, dinner, breakfast because if there was no access to food from the mission, these folks would simply hop on a bus and head down to Dennys.

And there are rules, Strict rules that must be adhered too. It aint no free ride. Recipients also will volunteer to clean or cook or whatever else is needed to keep the place up. If you don't make yourself useful, you may be asked to leave.

Move them to the industrial area? Sure, where there is little to no transit access. No medical help. Miles from the hospital, no access to employment assistance with Employment Canada or the ministry.

Yes, lots of these folks are chomping at the bit to work. Most in fact so lets take them away from the opportunity to do so.

Remember, no car.

Some of these individuals are up to no good for sure. There are predators but most are not.

The people who run the mission know who they are. They know who is in true need and who is there just to feed off others and there are ways to deal with those folks.

Yes, we need the Mission. It is sad that we do but thank god it's there.

It may not be in the most convenient spot for some with delicate sensibilities but oh well. Sucks to be them I would suspect in their own faultless lives.

Next time you're down in that neck o the woods, say hi to a few. Amazingly, they will say hi back. And some can even tell a tourist how to get to a certain spot in the core because that is home for them.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Kelowner
Fledgling

Re: Does Kelowna need the Gospel Mission?

Post by Kelowner »

I can't believe this thread exists, its like OP joined Castanet to come spout an *removed* opinion without researching it.

Every single Fall, and Winter, and especially Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc, the front page of Castanet is covered with articles about the Gospel Mission helping out the homeless and people in need. OP, are you blind, or just blinded by entitlement?
Last edited by Merry on Jun 9th, 2014, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Provocative language
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Kelowna needs the Gospel Mission....

The gospel Mission needs an open ended cheque...

No one else will do what they do ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

squirt10 wrote:Do kelownians need this service? Do we need a soup kitchen? Is the location a eyesore for the downtown core?

Yes, squirt10, the Gospel Mission is a much needed resource in Kelowna. Whenever patients with "no fixed address" are discharged from the hospital, I breathe a little sigh of relief that they have a temporary address at the GM. It is heartening to know that the GM staff and volunteers are there to assist them.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

squirt10 wrote:Do kelownians need this service? Do we need a soup kitchen? Is the location a eyesore for the downtown core?

Yes, Yes and not so much of an eyesore as a source of major concern.
The issue for most is not the GM itself but it's present location.
Jaide_d
Fledgling

Re: Does Kelowna need the gospel mission?

Post by Jaide_d »

the truth wrote:i am all for helping the needy mental health ,yes
someone down on there luck ,yes
junkie and junkie drugdealers, hanging around places like the gospel mission praying on people down on there luck NO

However, when staying at the gospel mission, you are not allowed to be all drugged up on whatever your fix is. They do drug tests quite frequently from what I understand. It is a place where people can potentially escape the drug life (assuming they actually want to quit their addiction - of course, the system can be manipulated just as any system can be).
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Further evidence that Kelowna needs the Gospel Mission:

Mission responds to rising temps

Soaring temperatures are a signal for many of us to head to the beach, the park, the playground or our favourite golf course.

As temperatures reach the low to mid 30s a different set of problems surface for the homeless and those at risk.

For people who spend most of the day outside, hot weather increases the risk of exposure-related illnesses, such as heat stroke, heat exhaustion, cramping and more seriously hyperthermia, when the body's core temperature rises too high. Heat related illnesses result when a person cannot cool off properly.

When the temperature reaches 30'C or more Kelowna's Gospel Mission (air conditioned) will be open extended hours to make sure there is a safe, cool place for clients to go. Front Line and Outreach Staff are keeping a close eye on our patrons to make sure everyone is healthy and well hydrated.

“The Mission always strives to be a beacon of hope, whether that is helping to find permanent housing for the homeless, provide food and shelter to those displaced or in this case open our doors all day to keep people safe from the extreme heat," says Executive Director, Randy Benson.

"I have directed our Outreach Team to be extra diligent this week as they go out into the community looking for those who are in need, as these temperatures can have dire consequences.”

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And to think mose only think of those in need during plummeting temperatures.

Good to remind us of this fact Daria.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Something about that bothers me. Since they are not working they have all day to lay on the grass in the park, in the shade of the trees. They also are just a couple minutes walk to the water.
When I worked on a paving crew in Kelowna I would have loved to have had those options.
Black Dogs Matter
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Hate to be politically incorrect but perhaps it's not a bad option during tourist season. Why not let them stay cool inside instead of killing time around the downtown and park?

I agree with the poster above that said I can't believe this thread even exists. Hopefully it's just a test and the op secretly works works there. :)

But it has created dialogue around something we usually try to sweep under the rug.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
SLX2007
Fledgling

Post by SLX2007 »

Some people in Kelowna are just brutal.

There for the grace of God, as they say.

Have some humility and empathy.
Okanagan & the oil patch
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

please enough with the god card,this has nothing to do with GOD
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

the truth wrote:please enough with the god card,this has nothing to do with GOD

o.O You have a real hate-on for the less fortunate. I hope the circumstances in your life are always peachy-keen and you never face the same challenges.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

please.i come from low income as a child ,I had to go to work as a 13 year old to help my family, so stop thinking you know everything about everyone.i think the mission gospel is great for the truly needy not the small time drugdealers hanging around there taking advantage of a free ride.

Return to “Central Okanagan”