Raccoons! What can I do?

prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Raccoons! What can I do?

Post by prairieflower »

They could be roof rats too, yet another reason to kill the buggers!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Set a humane trap in the yard as someone suggested. Get a friend to help you with the retrieval of the babies, place them in the cage together and move them to somewhere more natural.

Fix the facia or soffit and get on with your life.

If any of this sounds unappealing, then sorry to say you're stuck with them until the babies mature and they move on to better places to eat and raise the wee uns.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

TJ05 wrote:I think that it is BS that conservation does not look after this and I am left dealing with the problem. What good are they? In their minds it is a pest so let the public deal with it. Not right in my opinion.

Why should the taxpayers be on the hook for a home maintenance problem you have? If you had a mouse, would you expect the taxpayers to fund the COs to remove it for you? Raccoons are just like mice, only bigger. Kill them or get Pete Wise from Vernon to remove them for you - it's YOUR responsibility to maintain your property, not ours.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

When do Conservation Officers respond?
Conservation Officers respond to conflicts with dangerous wildlife where there is a risk to public safety. Examples of these situations include responding to attacks, bears breaking into buildings, repeated dangerous wildlife encounters at or near public locations, and situations where dangerous wildlife has become habituated (no longer afraid of humans) or food conditioned (dependent upon human provided foods) and now presents a risk to public safety.
Conservation Officers do not respond to routine sightings, normal wildlife behaviour, such as wildlife transiting through greenbelts or forested areas, nuisance conflicts or conflicts that do not pose a risk to public safety, or to situations where the complainant can take simple measures to address the problem, such as securing garbage, removing bird seed, or properly managing compost.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/info/wildl ... index.html

All mama raccoon wants to do is get her babies up and running. They will leave and give ample opportunity to plug the entrance/exit and she will move on.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

They have moved into my place a couple of times. They couldn't hurt much where they were but the noise was annoying. I left them alone. I watched the female come out with the three babies, There is not much cuter than a potatoe sized baby racoon, I wish I could have taken pictures.
Black Dogs Matter
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

TJ05 wrote: I wont do that but I think that is crap that I will have to pay for this.

If you had any pest or rodent infestation, you'd have to pay for it. It's your problem, your house.

I wouldn't poison them, but I'd still have to pay for the solution
drpepper

Post by drpepper »

Okay, okay...I will add my two bits to this.

Yes, it is the homeowners responsibility to remove or deter them. I am in the pest industry and suggest one thing the homeowner can try. Open up your attic hatch, plug in one or two flood lights and light up the attic void. The mama raccoon will pack up the family one by one and remove them from this location. Raccoons are not a fan of bright lights.

After they are gone go around the house and fix your holes you have, you may have to get on the roof to inspected it but as a homeowner you have to do what needs to be done.

That is all.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

drpepper wrote:Okay, okay...I will add my two bits to this.

Yes, it is the homeowners responsibility to remove or deter them. I am in the pest industry and suggest one thing the homeowner can try. Open up your attic hatch, plug in one or two flood lights and light up the attic void. The mama raccoon will pack up the family one by one and remove them from this location. Raccoons are not a fan of bright lights.

After they are gone go around the house and fix your holes you have, you may have to get on the roof to inspected it but as a homeowner you have to do what needs to be done.

That is all.

Super and thanks for the info (which is exactly what the OP was looking for)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Brilliant suggestion!!
drpepper

Post by drpepper »

Fancy wrote:Brilliant suggestion!!

What can I say, I am good at what I do.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I hope you don't get the drug team kicking in your door when someone reports the lights in your attic.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Just make sure the cat food, dog food and Doritos are locked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXbfpP2vDM
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Nice kitty
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Draw them out with some leftovers in the backyard, maybe a pot of stew. Yeah they can get evil when cornered.

Return to “Central Okanagan”