Thefts from vehicles

GenesisGT
Guru

Re: Thefts from vehicles

Post by GenesisGT »

crime has been falling for the last 25 years in Canada. And we've accomplished this without sticking nearly one percent of our population in prison like the Americans.

Always have a hard time with this argument when it comes to property crime. First time my vehicle was broken into, phoned the police, got a file number, police never responded, realized that if I called my insurance company it would only go against my record for further insurance. Next time my vehicle was broken into, fixed the window and continued on.

Police didn't respond to the first time, why waste my time and theirs reporting it again. Property crime goes down.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

james-d wrote:In my humble opinion I think the US system is not all that great but it is FAR!!! better then ours...

Yeah, it's really great. A nation of jailers. Seven times our incarceration rate. A homicide rate 300% higher. Weekly mass shootings. A system of private prisons screwing taxpayers blind.

Please, Mr Harper. Let's bring this wonderful American system to Canada before my car gets broken into!
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Simply locking your car doesn't work anymore.

http://lifehacker.com/5586261/program-a ... tiple-cars

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/multi-code-remote.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Frequen ... 0693472510

For a few bucks, people can make/buy a car FOB that will unlock multiple car brands. They unlock your door, sit inside for a second to rifle through it and leave. Not many people would notice, if they even did it around witnesses.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Ive had my vehicles broken into a couple times. Trying to stop it is not worth the money or the hassle. Remove any valuables, and dont lock your door. Maybe leave some hobo change. If they want in bad enough, they will get in locked or not, save yourself a broken window. These days I just wake up to an open glove box, and rifled papers, with no damage done. Crackhead gets some change, and were all happy.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

It is very rare to have a vehicle broken into unless there is something of value in plain view.

Carry a small gym bag, put thing of value into it, make that a travel bag. Even quality sunglasses left behind could cost you a window. Use your head, keep your vehicle clean of valuables!
Kelowner
Fledgling

Post by Kelowner »

Are you guys serious, you think a thief/crackhead will sue you if you beat him up for stealing your property? Hilarious.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Kelowner wrote:Are you guys serious, you think a thief/crackhead will sue you if you beat him up for stealing your property? Hilarious.

Maybe he wouldn't...but legally he could. Is it really worth the risk?
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I was doing a little research on something else, and in the MVA, I came across this:

Leaving parked vehicle
(1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with a lock or other device to prevent the unauthorized use of the motor vehicle.
(2) A driver must not permit a motor vehicle to stand unattended or parked unless the driver has
    (a) locked it or made it secure in a manner that prevents its unauthorized use, and
    (b) if the motor vehicle is standing on a grade, turned the front wheels of the vehicle to the curb or side of the highway

So, there you have it. If you park your car and walk away leaving it unlocked, you are in violation of the MVA.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

kgcayenne wrote:I was doing a little research on something else, and in the MVA, I came across this:

Leaving parked vehicle
(1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with a lock or other device to prevent the unauthorized use of the motor vehicle.
(2) A driver must not permit a motor vehicle to stand unattended or parked unless the driver has
    (a) locked it or made it secure in a manner that prevents its unauthorized use, and
    (b) if the motor vehicle is standing on a grade, turned the front wheels of the vehicle to the curb or side of the highway

So, there you have it. If you park your car and walk away leaving it unlocked, you are in violation of the MVA.

I think that reference to the MVA is pertaining to the "USE" of the vehicle. It doesn't cover, "theft FROM vehicle".
Bring back the LIKE button.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It’s pretty clear to me “(a) locked it or...”

Lock your cars.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

kgcayenne wrote:It’s pretty clear to me “(a) locked it or...”

Lock your cars.

Unfortunately locks only detours lazy/honest thieves, anyone with slim-jim can get into almost any vehicle.
Thin piece of flexible stainless steel.... tricky part is cutting out the notches needed.

Best advice don't leave items visible from the windows of your vehicle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Kyoddie56

Post by Kyoddie56 »

Solution to the thieving idiots....
Chop their dam hands off,
that will put a stop to the thieves :swear:
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

kgcayenne wrote:It’s pretty clear to me “(a) locked it or...”

Lock your cars.

no youre wrong shutting it off and taking your keys out and with you prevents unauthorized use it has nothing to do with locked doors otherwise every jeep and convertible wouldn't be covered and be in violation of the mva
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Good point. Not in contravention of the MVA, just risky to leave the car unlocked. My daughter leaves her wallet in her car. I gave her hell for it. Really. WTH
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote: My daughter leaves her wallet in her car. I gave her hell for it. Really. WTH

My son does this as well! Really dumb idea.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”