Thefts from vehicles

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Thefts from vehicles

Post by Bsuds »

A good size Rat trap would work without removing any fingers. They would surely regret sticking their hands where they don't belong!

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Under Common Law if a thief is injured during the commission of a crime due to what can be seen as negligence on the part of the Property Owner, the thief may have grounds to sue (albeit from jail).

The logic used is that the fact the person was injured during the commission of a crime is irrelevant, because someone who had legitimate grounds to be there could potentially have been injured in a similar manner. Therefore the Property Owner is deemed to have been negligent.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Merry wrote:The logic used is that the fact the person was injured during the commission of a crime is irrelevant, because someone who had legitimate grounds to be there could potentially have been injured in a similar manner. Therefore the Property Owner is deemed to have been negligent.

So I he's hit on the side of the head with a shovel it's OK because there is no neglect involved as it's intentional.
I doubt I would hit someone who is legitimately in my house or car intentionally.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

You are only allowed to use "reasonable" force to deal with an intruder. So, unless you could persuade a judge otherwise, hitting somebody over the head with a shovel could very well not be considered "reasonable".
It all depends on the circumstances. For example, if you were a tiny weakling facing a 6 foot muscle man the use of the shovel might be considered "reasonable" but if it were the other way round and the perpetrator was the tiny weakling, then the use of the shovel would likely be considered "unreasonable".
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

In this country we are all mall cops (observe & report) when it comes to protecting your property. Best you can do for yourself is make things less appealing and maybe get a yappy dog.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

There is no one out there who feels as strongly as I do that anyone that tries to take from me what is mine or threatens my family deserves great pain at the very least.

The law deals with broad spectrum situations though where more than just the delivery of "justice" to the perpetrator has to be taken into consideration.

The example of negligence in the case of the gopher trap or any other such deterrent is actually reasonable. I think you have to ask yourself, what if my wife is the one who gets her fingers cut off because she didn't know I had laid the trap? Or my kid?

I remember a story where a home owner who was being targeted by an individual for some reason who was entering his house through windows that the thief seemed to be very adept at breaching, glued glass shards onto the window sills.

The guy tried to gain entry, cut himself badly and bled to death on the lawn. The home owner was charged but I can't recall what the charges were.

Not fair? Obviously if you're the property owner no but the potential for innocent individuals to suffer the same injuries is there so the law says no.

I feel helpless when I look at what I believe my rights are when it comes to protecting what is mine but in all honesty? Apart from setting booby traps which sound great but have the potential for unwanted outcomes, if I find someone in my car or breaking into my home, I will be asking for forgiveness. Not permission.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Let me get this straight. You want to maim, mutilate and disfigure what will likely be a kid over some change in your ashtray?
You are one sick individual not worthy of living in a civilized society.

I can't believe I have Neanderthal barbaric displaying neighbours....
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Volvotrucker wrote:I can't get over the mentality of some people. " This is highly illegal" or "it's your fault for leaving something locked in YOUR car on Your property". What is wrong with people? I have no mercy for anyone in or on my property who is trying to take something that belongs to me. Call it vigilante or call it justice but I have no faith in the justice system and it would not bother me in the least if they lost every one of their putrid little fingers.

Might not bother you, but it would when they sued you for damages and you went to jail.

Don't think it would happen? You are 100% incorrect.

Just like you cannot set booby traps in your house for burglars, you cannot rig your car with hurtful devices either.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm sure there are better ways to vent out your frustration besides setting up traps and possible injuring people.

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jun 14th, 2014, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate remark
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jun 14th, 2014, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

KL3-Something wrote:I think some of you need to have a gander at section 247 of the Criminal Code and ask yourself if it's really worth it or not.

the truth wrote:it really is assbackwards that we can get in trouble for protecting are property, it takes some of us years to save and buy things and they come by and steal it in seconds, the law needs to change

No it isn't assbackwards. You have the ability to protect your property. By securing it and not keeping it in your vehicle unattended. Not by setting a trap intended to inflict bodily harm on another individual who may or may not be committing an offence at the time.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

KL3-Something wrote:I think some of you need to have a gander at section 247 of the Criminal Code and ask yourself if it's really worth it or not.
LTD wrote: you need to give your head a shake you have the right to protect YOUR property and its not illegal to hunt gophers !

You need to give your head a shake if you think that setting a trap intended to inflict bodily harm is an appropriate manner in which to protect property.

Oh, and by the way, it is illegal to hunt or trap "gophers" around here except in very specific circumstances.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

ya I am the problem not the scumbag crackheads breaking into cars and homes ya I think my way will provide better results than that of the courts and cops but hey keep tellin them that was wrong don't do it again good luck with that
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

LTD wrote:ya I am the problem not the scumbag crackheads breaking into cars and homes ya I think my way will provide better results than that of the courts and cops but hey keep tellin them that was wrong don't do it again good luck with that

Wow. Are you familiar with "punctuation"?

No. You aren't the root problem. Those who feel the need to break into cars and steal other people's stuff in order to feed their habit are the problem. I agree.

But one cannot justify inflicting permanent bodily harm on another person by saying that you are protecting your things from being taken.

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well if these losers stop stealing then no one will get hurt
funny how the law works , if the losers steal my stuff, and get caught good chance they do not even go to jail
but if we stop them from stealing are stuff we go to jail?????
Last edited by the truth on Jun 14th, 2014, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”