Legal to break window when dogs left in hot car?

Should it be legal to break window to help suffering animal?

Yes
39%
No
39%
I don't care, I'd break it anyways
22%

Total votes: 49

Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Legal to break window when dogs left in hot car?

Post by Bunnyhop »

And what happens when someone overreacts and breaks a window, and the now panicked dog escapes and gets hit by a car, or bites the person reaching in to "save" it?

How would that help the dog?
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

Hard call on it. If it's an animal call the authorities, but if it's a child I say break it. Saving a life is worth a charge of mischief I think. We hear all the time about kids who die in heated cars because the parents left them just for a few minutes. This woman came out of the Walmart with a shopping cart full proving she had been in a while in a nice cool store. How many people go in for one item and come out with lots in their carts. A short errand can turn into death pretty fast in the heat. This week we are going to 42 they say now. She should face the law on this one. Vigilanty is a harsh word. Everyone has feelings about things, people can get very emotional over animals. Hey, take a look at the idiots out there still who have dogs in the back of pick up trucks not tied in while driving, or the ones still talking on cell phones and who try to hide them against their heads by leaning against a window, or using them down below the steering wheels at a stop light.

If people aren't going to obey the laws on endangering lives than they need to be charged.
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

I would call the RCMP immediately and note the license plate (in case the owner came before they arrived). If the dog appeared to be distressed and the RCMP weren't responding quickly, I would! If there was a child left in a car (other than a teen left with keys to keep the AC going), I would break the window, call the cops, and call child protective services in that order.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Bunnyhop wrote:And what happens when someone overreacts and breaks a window, and the now panicked dog escapes and gets hit by a car, or bites the person reaching in to "save" it?

You're right, better off to let it bake to death.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Bunnyhop wrote:And what happens when someone overreacts and breaks a window, and the now panicked dog escapes and gets hit by a car, or bites the person reaching in to "save" it?

Or maybe it escapes and helps lead you to find Timmy trapped in a well.

You've just killed Timmy.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

do you keep your pet in a hot car in the summer???
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:do you keep your pet in a hot car in the summer???

Bunnyhop does have a valid point, some people do overreact. You can't just go around breaking windows everytime you see a dog in car without first knowing its in distress. Its obvious that a cars inside temp will climb quickly in the summer months and people who leave their pets in a hot car should be charged with animal cruelty, but just going around smashing windows as soon as you see a pet in a car is not smart, you don't know how warm the inside of the car is yet, it might still be relatively cool and the owner is on the way back as you smash the window in.

Don't get me wrong, I think windows should be smashed in when it comes to the point of the animals well being, but there has to be some level of common sense involved first.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Dizzy, unfortunately common sense isn't common.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hmmm wrote:Dizzy, unfortunately common sense isn't common.

Yeah, I know.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Story on Castanet today says people just aren't getting it. Woman at Wally World Westbank (go figure) leaves dog and kid in car, shops, comes out and is greeted by the animal cruelty officer and the RCMP. Apparently the ensuing conversation didn't go well as she sounds like a Beyotch.

The answer is easy. The grace period for this type of offence bringing on a warning is OVER.

Fine the crap out of these hillbillys and end the problem.

Guaranteed it will not continue to be an issue when people are having to sell property, borrow from friends and family or get a second job to pay a fine for demonstrating that they are among the DUMBEST people on the planet.

Unpaid fines may cause hardship when applying for loans or credit cards so maybe this will smarten the eff up these walking Neanderthals.

It's a good thing for folks like this that you don't have to pass an intelligence test in order to procreate or purchase animals because................................................................Actually, that's not a bad idea.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

we all know in this hot temp leaveing a small child in a hot car like that could kill a child fast,so why not charge this person with attempted murder or man slaughter---why not ?????
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

The Castanet story says the child was 5 or 6. I'm not exactly gifted, but when I was 5 or 6 I knew how to open a car door if it was getting too hot inside.

How do we know the kid wasn't outside most of the time walking the dog? Many large holes is this story, which is how it usually is.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

What idiot leaves a 5 or 6 year old child unattended in their car in a mall parking lot?

You're correct though, I too could open a car door at that age (quite an accomplishment) which this child also could likely do.

"Hey kid, open the door so I can pet your dog".

Yah, that'd be great.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

^^

When I was 5 or 6, I was riding my bike all over the place unattended. Even to some parking lots. The kid was probably more traumatized by all of the attention, than anything else.

The story presents one side. We don't know what really happened.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

phasyluck wrote: Responsible owners know their dog and know better.....so once again NO it should not be legal!! Vehicles are property.

Yet there continues to be a rash of such events so how do you explain that?

The latest one I read about on the West Side had the woman even displaying major indignation, this after leaving not only her dog, but a five to six year old child as well, in the car on a day with 32°C temperatures.

She came back to the car with a "full" shopping cart according to the story, and anyone who's ever shopped knows that takes far more than 5-10 minutes to obtain, pay for, and get back to the vehicle.

I'm just astonished at how many brain dead twerps we have in this area.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”