Diner En Blanc 2014

okcitizen
Fledgling

Diner En Blanc 2014

Post by okcitizen »

Did anyone go to this? What did you think? This year it was at Father Pandosy. Last year it was in City Park.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/11 ... Blanc-2014
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Diner En Blanc 2014

Post by JayByrd »

I didn't go, but I know a few people who attended this year as well as last year.

They said overall, the organization was better. Transportation went smoother, and the location was a surprise to everyone (at least on their bus) until they arrived. They appreciated not having to walk (carrying all their stuff) as far from the bus to the site this year. As this is only the second official year of the event, it makes sense that organizers would learn and improve from year to year.

The one negative (I don't think I would have cared, but they did) was that a number of people were not following the "en blanc" theme...not dressed completely in white, or wearing non-elegant stuff like baseball caps.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

We went again and it was great. The theme was well adhered to, the setting was great, it was well organized and.....the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.....there was a "dance-off". Sort of like a combination Saturday Night Fever meets Michael Jackson for middle aged guys, throwin' it down with ladies stepping in to keep it going. No I did not take part but it was entertaining to watch.
A nice evening overall.
You and 71 others Like this post
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I wonder why thet don't call that 'Dinner in white'. After all, this is Canada.

Anyone knows how to pronounce 'blanc' properly?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

They don't call it "Dinner in White" because all the racists would complain.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Bman wrote:They don't call it "Dinner in White" because all the racists would complain.

Tsss, it's not a dinner of whites, but a dinner in white. Anyways, we don't say 'diner', we say 'souper'.

'Souper en Blanc'. Here ya go.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Like I said.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

It's because it sounds pretentious, just like the foodies who go to it:)
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

They should have served 'Spaghetti italien avec boulettes de viande' lol.

Eat with a fork and spoon, like the French.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

goalie wrote:It's because it sounds pretentious, just like the foodies who go to it:)

So, it's not your 'thing', is what you are trying to say?

Keloha is not my 'thing'.

I'd have liked to try going to this, but an article I read makes it seem as though it requires an invite/sponsorship or is a secret squirrel thing, which is disappointing.

Why does liking a modicum of decorum require a hall pass into the right circles? Geeez people, it's not like we've got a Vancouver Club here.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

From what I understand from the radio ads and other marketing materials, the "invitation" is obtained by registering online. I just went to their webpage and it's pretty obvious that it is open to the public, and not simply to "inner circles". The use of the word "invitation" just helps to boost the impression of classiness that they are aiming for at the event. It's definitely not my thing, but I can see people from all walks of life enjoying an event like this. I have friends who have gone to it for the last two years and they have enjoyed it very much.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

matai wrote:Anyone knows how to pronounce 'blanc' properly?

Probably better than the Quebecers ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

goalie wrote:It's because it sounds pretentious, just like the foodies who go to it:)

Sounds as though it was great fun. We have several friends who went and we hope to make it next year.
I'm sure that some pretentious people were there, but then they can be found anywhere if you choose to look. I prefer to notice all the fun and real people, everywhere
okcitizen
Fledgling

Post by okcitizen »

The Dîner en Blanc was started buy a man named François Pasquier in Paris, who invited a few friends to the Bois de Boulogne one day in June. To find each other in the park, they all wore white. The dinner was such a success that they decided the next year, each person would invite some other friends and the event grew organically into the 10000+ dinner it is today. What started 25 years ago by 10 friends who wanted to dine in a forbidden spot, grew into an annual communion of 15,000 guests and a worldwide phenomenon. Any city that does this, has to follow strict rules and guidelines. The whole idea is to create a spectacle to viewers who suddenly see a mass of people in white spreading out and setting up for dinner. It is supposed to be in a populated area to create the spectacle. I have heard the Father Pandosy was not as fun as last year, because nobody was around to see them setting up and dining.
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

matai wrote:They should have served 'Spaghetti italien avec boulettes de viande' lol.

Eat with a fork and spoon, like the French.

If you're eating spaghetti "avec boulettes de viande" with a spoon and fork, you're not going to be dressed all in white for very long.
Bumblebuns

Return to “Central Okanagan”