We saw a couple of sturgeon in Kal lake back in 07
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Ogopogo????

Post by normaM »

some threads are just better than others
Maybe Castanet can get an underwater drone
I hate to boast.. but ogopogo is now renting my suite.. he's quiet. Tidy.
Place smells a bit fishy, like my story
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
OgopogoO
Board Meister

Post by OgopogoO »

charliebean wrote:Hasn't been any stories about anyone seeing the Ogopogo for awhile. Is she still around? Anyone see her lately?

Wuz up? I'm a dude, btw.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Never been any reports of sturgeon cought or being in the lake ever.
A sturgeon it is not.
I don't rule out the possibility of there being something big down there though.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

We see Ogopogo whenever we head across the bridge. Will try to get a picture next time.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

i am unaware of a sturgeon ever having been in lake Okanagan.

ten ore more years ago a friend and I were fishing on the big lake and he hooked and landed what could only have been a sturgeon based on the fact that it was in my boat and we both know what they look like.

It was maybe ten pounds.

sturgeon.JPG

What seems to be apparent is that they are rare but certainly not gone. The species in Lake Okanagan are called White Sturgeon and the picture I have attached is what we pulled into our boat. Yes, we released it.

The source is env.gov.bc.ca.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

ten ore more years ago a friend and I were fishing on the big lake and he hooked and landed what could only have been a sturgeon based on the fact that it was in my boat and we both know what they look like.

It was maybe ten pounds.

sturgeon.JPG

What seems to be apparent is that they are rare but certainly not gone. The species in Lake Okanagan are called White Sturgeon and the picture I have attached is what we pulled into our boat. Yes, we released it.

The source is env.gov.bc.ca.[/quote]

Best fishing story ever.
Maybe a burbot, or a whitefish.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Pretty hard to mistake a sturgeon for a whitie or a burbot . There are sturgeon in these lakes .
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

i am unaware of a sturgeon ever having been in lake Okanagan.

mexicalidreamer wrote:ten ore more years ago a friend and I were fishing on the big lake and he hooked and landed what could only have been a sturgeon based on the fact that it was in my boat and we both know what they look like.

It was maybe ten pounds.

sturgeon.JPG

The source is env.gov.bc.ca.

...then you probably should have informed Fisheries/Min. of Environment...I posted the link on page 1 to their site: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57859#p1689500
and if you read to the end of it, page 30, they mention no evidence of sturgeon in OK Lake...

There has been only anecdotal evidence of sturgeon sunning
themselves on Skaha and Okanagan Lakes however there is
no fishery accounts or has there ever been a wash-up of a
carcass.

Reports of the sturgeon persist from Okanagan Lake but these
have not been verified.

No records recent in the Okanagan Region
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Ogopogo?

Post by mexi cali »

Don't know what to tell you. There are examples every day of animals thought to be either extinct or diminished to a break point because they are seen infrequently but it doesn't mean they aren't there.

We caught a sturgeon. Simple.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Edited to read; the reports are one in the same. It says that it is possible that Sturgeon are or have inhabited the lake and I give you that it also says "anecdotal evidence" but the report does not say it is impossible and I stand by my experience.

If they had never been seen or caught here, they wouldn't list the lake as being a possible habitat.

Maybe somebody dumped it here. Don't know, don't care. Had it in my hands and released it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 17th, 2014, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I recall reading an article a few years back that said they had conducted some sort of research project, I believe in the 50's. They never caught any sturgeon from what I remember but personally I believe that you guys caught one, why wouldn't they exist? Maybe sightings are down because the population has been diminished due to less than ideal water quality over the years?
Sure do love Rutland!!
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Swoop wrote:
[i]There has been only anecdotal evidence of sturgeon sunning
themselves
on Skaha and Okanagan Lakes however there is
no fishery accounts or has there ever been a wash-up of a
carcass.

That is exactly what we saw in 07 . Staying at a buds place just up off of Kal Lake , even zoomed in on them with a hi powered telescope . There was no doubt from anyone that was there , that it was a couple very very large sturgeon . I grew up fishing the Fraser , I am well aware what they look like .
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

wacky bennett introduced mysis to the lake.

i have seen many non native carp in the lake, and dead on the shore.

i will suggest if a sturgeon was caught, by yourself and your friend, that it was put there by someone else and was not native.

given the numerous expeditions to find ogopogo, and decades of underwater exploration by people with photography equipment, someone would have managed to get a picture of one by now. that is if there ever actually was a population in the lake.

the size you specify would mean there is a breeding population in the lake, if it wasn't dropped in.
i would think that if there were mature sturgeon in the lake, someone would have seen one in a creek over the years,but that has not occurred either.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Central Okanagan”