Big dogs always loose

Big dogs always loose

Postby grizz » Jul 18th, 2014, 10:01 am

So our neighbor has 2 rotti's who are always getting loose. The other day a quadrapalegic in a wheelchair was going by with his little dog walking next to him, on a leash. Suddenly these two rottis came running out towards this man in wheelchair and his dog. The little dog was so scared he ran up road and under a fence, rotti right behind it. Both rottis running around, owner comes out and tried to call dogs back. Finally got them back. These dogs are always getting out. Its not the dogs fault its the owners. I cannot image how this guy in wheelchair felt. He sped off down the road and haven't seen him since.
grizz
Fledgling

Liked in: 14 posts

Re: Big dogs always loose

Postby goalie » Jul 18th, 2014, 10:20 am

is this on rutland rd?
goalie
Übergod

Liked in: 281 posts

Postby Triple 6 » Jul 18th, 2014, 10:27 am

did you report it to the RDCO?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings

Catri likes this post.
Triple 6

Liked in: 3710 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jul 18th, 2014, 10:38 am

If the little dog was on leash how did he run up the road and under a fence? Story does not make sense. Needless to say whichever dogs were running around loose whether big or small the penalty should be the same. I'm glad apparently no dogs were hurt.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2401 posts

Postby grizz » Jul 18th, 2014, 11:22 am

Silverstarqueen wrote:If the little dog was on leash how did he run up the road and under a fence? Story does not make sense. Needless to say whichever dogs were running around loose whether big or small the penalty should be the same. I'm glad apparently no dogs were hurt.

Dog slipped out of his leash and was terrified. No on rutland rd but close.
grizz
Fledgling

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby Deacon » Jul 18th, 2014, 11:41 am

My wife went for her daily walk and was challenged by a pit bull in the middle of the intersection. Terrified she made it back home without being bitten. I dialed 911 and said a pit bull was on the loose in our area then got in the car and went looking for it. We drove a couple of streets and laneways and within minutes there was the pound truck at a home of the intersection. Spoke with them and they rounded the dog up and took it away. About an hour later we hear shouts of HUNTER, HUNTER and I guess it was mister pit bull owner searching for his dog. Haven't seen the dog since so either it's inside or destroyed!!

the truth likes this post.
Deacon

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby Dented » Jul 18th, 2014, 12:07 pm

People got to realize to that dogs can sense your fear = hunt time that means getting bit.

I used to be scared of dogs till I realized if you stay calm don't acknowledge them when they follow or come towards you and carry on your way if you got a dog well be prepared for extra caution and common sense.
Dented

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jul 18th, 2014, 12:11 pm

grizz wrote:quote="Silverstarqueen"If the little dog was on leash how did he run up the road and under a fence? Story does not make sense. Needless to say whichever dogs were running around loose whether big or small the penalty should be the same. I'm glad apparently no dogs were hurt./quote

Dog slipped out of his leash and was terrified. No on rutland rd but close.

Oops, Rotties "got loose", oops, little dog "got loose". Slipping out of their house or yard, slipping out of collar, same difference it seems.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jul 18th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Dented wrote:People got to realize to that dogs can sense your fear = hunt time that means getting bit.

I used to be scared of dogs till I realized if you stay calm don't acknowledge them when they follow or come towards you and carry on your way if you got a dog well be prepared for extra caution and common sense.

Yes, how you behave does affect how the dog behaves (in 99% of cases), but people don't want to take that responsability. Mysteriously, having jogged, biked with a dog, walked dogs all over the countryside, for many years I was never bitten. Except once when I trespassed as a kid to fetch my rabbit from a yard that had a guard dog. But then I knew he would bite me. Stuff happens.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 18th, 2014, 12:15 pm

I'd cut my small dog loose too and give it a fighting chance to hide if bigger more dangerous dogs were on it's way.
You don't have to be in a wheelchair to be intimidated by two loose Rottweillers
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2415 posts

Postby davis123 » Jul 18th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:
Oops, Rotties "got loose", oops, little dog "got loose". Slipping out of their house or yard, slipping out of collar, same difference it seems.

This does not sound like the same difference to me at all, the two rotties are running towards the guy in a wheelchair, the leash probably just slipped off of whatever it was hooked to when the little dog was terrified and bolted. Probably better the little guy took off instead of jumping up on the owners lap and having those two big dogs going at him on the man in the wheelchair.

A few years back the kids and I were taking our Pomeranian for a walk (on a leash), outta nowhere comes this bigger dog who tackled my pom, instantly grabbing him by the neck... at that exact moment they both rolled over and WHAM ..a truck was passing right then and they both hit the back tire. My dog stood up and ran like a bat outta hell ..the big dog was injured very badly by the tire of the truck, and later got put down that day. When I finally caught up to my pom I noticed that when the dog attacked him, he actually grabbed him by the collar and ended up breaking it free and that is ultimately what helped him not end up under the tire as well.

Imagine if that was my kid being rolled under the tire instead of my pom! People need to learn how to secure their pets in their yard so *bleep* like this isn't happening.

5 people like this post.
davis123
Board Meister

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby Xia33 » Jul 18th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Postby Deacon

My wife went for her daily walk and was challenged by a pit bull in the middle of the intersection. Terrified she made it back home without being bitten. I dialed 911 and said a pit bull was on the loose in our area then got in the car and went looking for it. We drove a couple of streets and laneways and within minutes there was the pound truck at a home of the intersection. Spoke with them and they rounded the dog up and took it away. About an hour later we hear shouts of HUNTER, HUNTER and I guess it was mister pit bull owner searching for his dog. Haven't seen the dog since so either it's inside or destroyed!!

destroyed for being loose "challenging"? ....in what way...stopping and looking at her? wishful thinking at best I would hope! Seriously, this city has one H*** of an attitude and HUGE fears

Dizzy1 likes this post.
Xia33
Übergod

Liked in: 567 posts

Postby davis123 » Jul 18th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Xia33 wrote:destroyed for being loose "challenging"? ....in what way...stopping and looking at her? wishful thinking at best I would hope! Seriously, this city has one H*** of an attitude and HUGE fears

Are you just trying to stir the pot here, why are you interrogating what the other person said and making assumptions that they are lying?
Huge fears pffft ..ya try being in the same situation that I just wrote about and not having some fears, how do you think my kids feel about big dogs now as well?!
davis123
Board Meister

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jul 18th, 2014, 1:15 pm

davis123 wrote:quote="Xia33"
destroyed for being loose "challenging"? ....in what way...stopping and looking at her? wishful thinking at best I would hope! Seriously, this city has one H*** of an attitude and HUGE fears/quote

Are you just trying to stir the pot here, why are you interrogating what the other person said and making assumptions that they are lying?
Huge fears pffft ..ya try being in the same situation that I just wrote about and not having some fears, how do you think my kids feel about big dogs now as well?!

"Challenging" was an odd term, most people would say growling, or barking, or something the dog actually did. "Challenging" is an interpretation of the person, not what the dog was doing.

What about all the people who are terrified of little dogs? Shouldn't all dogs be required to be under control. Now we have people who would deliberately turn their dog loose, but that's okay. Suppose that little dog then attacks another dog, or bites someone in his terror? A loose dog is a loose dog, big or small. Little dogs attack people and dogs too.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Xia33 » Jul 18th, 2014, 1:26 pm

definitely not trying to stir the pot and not "interrogating" anything. Perception varies and, if there is fear, then perception can be a little warped, do you not agree? No dogs should be loose but, unless the animal actually threatens, if one keeps walking normally there isn't an issue. And, yes, there are huge fears of loose dogs thanks to the media...especially where certain breeds are concerned.
The only reason I responded is that it would seem that you pretty much wished for the dog to be destroyed ... reported and picked up...by all means...destroyed? I would hope not...and this is where we differ.
Xia33
Übergod

Liked in: 567 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan