Idling in parking lot with dog in car, no driver

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Idling in parking lot with dog in car, no driver

Post by Grandan »

Today while I visited that great Canadian store that sells everything as well tires, I noticed a truck parked in the parking lot, dog in the passenger seat, engine at high idle and no driver present. I thought it was illegal to leave your vehicle running while unattended and also illegal to idle your vehicle for more than a few minutes? Is this buddy's answer to not leaving your dog in a hot car? Besides being incredibly stupid, any thief could smash a window and be gone in seconds or the dog could knock it into gear or something equally bizarre. Since hardly anyone ever sets a parking brake anymore it boggles the mind that anyone would consider this safe.
This not the first time I have seen this, is this a new trend? Is this an Alberta resident thing since I see it more often with Alberta plates? Too hot here to leave your car in the parking lot for 1/2 hour?
Waste not
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Idling in the Parking Lot with Dog in car, no driver

Post by Omnitheo »

Maybe the dog was waiting to pick someone up or something.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

I do agree it is stupid to leave a vehicle running, but don't worry about it being stolen or accidentally put into gear, security systems for vehicles will automatically turn off the vehicle if the brake is touched, it is put into gear, etc... when the remote key is not in the cab. Besides wasting gas at least the dog was cool and hopefully entertained with some hip music.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

So let me get this straight you think this persons dog is gonna reach down step on the brake and put the truck in gear that sounds completely plausible to me, some folk have to much time on there hands. Had he left his dog in the truck with the windows down or in the back of his truck you will cry that someone might get bit so he should just leave his dog at home pretty much cant win with some people its his truck if he wants to leave it running that's up to him ....
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

People should start minding their own business.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Jeezus. Just can't make no one happy. Damd if u do, damd if you dont.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Funny, I saw the same thing last weekend at a beach. Car running, windows open a crack and the ac on I would think. Owner came back and did a check then went back to the beach. Dog looked pretty happy though. Can't remember if it was alberta plates or not.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

there is no "no idling" bylaw here in town...if there was...well the bylaw officer would have a field day at the tims drive through
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I went through a lot of fuel last week idling keeping my dog cool and entertained. This week seems things should cool off.If you have to leave it running unattended you could use a "Club" on the steering wheel.

Illegal? What about remote starters for winter?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Grandan wrote:Today while I visited that great Canadian store that sells everything as well tires, I noticed a truck parked in the parking lot, dog in the passenger seat, engine at high idle and no driver present. I thought it was illegal to leave your vehicle running while unattended and also illegal to idle your vehicle for more than a few minutes? Is this buddy's answer to not leaving your dog in a hot car? Besides being incredibly stupid, any thief could smash a window and be gone in seconds or the dog could knock it into gear or something equally bizarre. Since hardly anyone ever sets a parking brake anymore it boggles the mind that anyone would consider this safe.
This not the first time I have seen this, is this a new trend? Is this an Alberta resident thing since I see it more often with Alberta plates? Too hot here to leave your car in the parking lot for 1/2 hour?

First off, the Alberta plates more than likely here on vacation and need to fix something that has worn out on the trip here. Can't leave the dog at your hosts place, can't leave the dog locked up in the trailer or camper etc., can't leave the dog tied to the trailer/camper or whatever 'cause someone will either steal it or complain about it so let's take it along and leave the A/C on for it. Kudos to this person for caring enough about their dog to waste gas and money to ensure the dog is not compromised.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Most likely an Albertan I'd say, wasting fuel to keep the oil fields busy! LOL My dad was in the pulp and paper industry back in the day, he'd tell us to use lots of paper towels! LOL

Seriously tho' good on this guy for caring about his pooch! Now move along, nothing to see here .
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Because of the cold, lots of us "Albertans" have what is called a REMOTE STARTER........ There is no way the car can be driven away at all. If i need to take my dog, i will leave her in the vehicle and start the car with the remote starter........when it times out, i can restart it. Isn't it amazing what modern technology can do...........OP, you should check them out.......
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Somebody is trying to do what's right for the dog.
The dog cannot drive the vehicle away.
If the dog is worth having no one will break into the car.
Life is so simple if you take time to figure it out.
Black Dogs Matter
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

call a bylaw officer next time. albertans figure they aren't polluting enough with extraction, they have to burn fuels beyond reason too.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Mind your own business.

Return to “Central Okanagan”