Sign crash slows traffic

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Sign crash slows traffic

Post by Treblehook »

I have no idea where the reference to blaming an old person came from. I guess someone failed to understand the somewhat sarcastic comment intended to draw attention to the fact that people use an "old" excuse for going off road; ie: the mysterious dog, cat or gopher that they swerved to miss!
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Lore wrote:I do exactly what omisimaw does.
If I am going the speed limit (actually faster than the limit)...

Speedometers are often off by wild amounts, so you really have no idea what speed you are actually travelling.

You are just as bad as omisimaw, and one of those who causes accidents. It is not your job or duty to impede and regulate the flow of traffic. For all you know, the person trying to get around you may be trying to rush someone to hospital. For all you know, the bottleneck you create may be holding up emergency vehicles far behind you.

If it were up to me, both you and omisimaw would be riding the bus.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
Speedometers are often off by wild amounts, so you really have no idea what speed you are actually travelling.

You are just as bad as omisimaw, and one of those who causes accidents. It is not your job or duty to impede and regulate the flow of traffic. For all you know, the person trying to get around you may be trying to rush someone to hospital. For all you know, the bottleneck you create may be holding up emergency vehicles far behind you.

No,I do know I'm going faster than the limit and it is the person on my a** who causes the accident if they are unable to stop quickly and plows into me because they were to close to begin with.
I'm not impeding traffic, I'm going fast.No impeding here.
There has never been a bottleneck behind me either (except in your mind) usually just
one jerk in a car that could easily pass me on the left but would rather be a jerk and tail gait..
Maybe your one of those tail gaiters.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

^^

If the person is riding your tail to such a degree that it is creating a dangerous situation, it certainly would make a lot sense to move into the right lane if there is one, else pull over. Rather than fan the flames. Just for your own safety's sake.

But that's just me.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Partmanpartfish wrote:^^

If the person is riding your tail to such a degree that it is creating a dangerous situation, it certainly would make a lot sense to move into the right lane if there is one, else pull over. Rather than fan the flames. Just for your own safety's sake.

But that's just me.

I'm already in the right lane 95% of the time and the person could pass me on the left.
Also, you can't always find a place to pull over (again,not that I should have to).
I took a defensive driving course, have been driving for along time and have a clean driving record.
I'm not doing anything wrong so quit making out like I am.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Swoop wrote:
...as much as in your own mind you feel you are in the right - you couldn't be do anything more wrong...if it's that much of a bother, simply pull over and let them pass...otherwise, you're as much at fault for impeding traffic and increasing driver frustration...

If I am going the speed limit (actually faster than the limit) and there is some inpatient jerk on my tail and there is no where to pull over (not that I should have to) what would you have me do?
I'm not impeding traffic, I'm going faster than the limit.
Its the jerk behind me that needs to check himself and slow down.
If they will not slow themselves down then I will slow them down.
I drive alot for work and am faced with this happening alot and I'm
driving fast. How fast do these jerks expect you to drive?
Are they going to pay my speeding ticket?
Rant off.

...and away we go...I didn't say anything about speeding - in fact, of all people, I would expect omisimaw to most definitely be doing the speed limit, and therefore slowing down is impeding traffic, and yes, you can be ticketed for driving too slow and impeding traffic...ultimately, who decided omisimaw, or anyone driving in the same manner, has the right to dictate how someone else drives...we have police for that...if you actually would go to the extreme of slowing down in traffic to further infuriate a tail-gater, to the point of actually stopping and getting out to "speak" to them - please, do us all a favour and make sure you get it on video...
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Swoop wrote:
...and away we go...I didn't say anything about speeding - in fact, of all people, I would expect omisimaw to most definitely be doing the speed limit, and therefore slowing down is impeding traffic, and yes, you can be ticketed for driving too slow and impeding traffic...ultimately, who decided omisimaw, or anyone driving in the same manner, has the right to dictate how someone else drives...we have police for that...if you actually would go to the extreme of slowing down in traffic to further infuriate a tail-gater, to the point of actually stopping and getting out to "speak" to them - please, do us all a favour and make sure you get it on video...

I had mentioned speeding because even if your speeding there is someone on your a**.
I will only slow down briefly till they get off of my a** and then I will resume my speeding.
I don't need anyone tail gaiting me because if I needed to stop suddenly they would hit me.
Jerk inpatient and aggressive drivers are the ones who need to be ticketed and there is no
shortage of those in Kelowna.
I am not trying to dictate how someone else drives there is just no good reason for people
to be tail gaiting if the person in front is going a reasonable speed.
I would not be stopping to "speak" to the jerk behind me.
I'll leave that to omisimaw.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Bubalouie wrote:KC, you can't drive in that bike lane anymore, has had poles up there for quite some time.

You are right that there are poles at that intersection; however, they are on Springfield heading westbound. Silly people still use the northbound bike lane on Gordon (site of accident) as a right turn lane; I wish they'd install posts there as well.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GoStumpy wrote:Judging by the fact that it's a lowered 2 door BMW with nice aftermarket wheels, it was a younger person speeding to beat the light and didn't make the corner..

That's my guess!

That was my feeling as well looking at pictures.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Swoop wrote:

Lore wrote:I had mentioned speeding because even if your speeding there is someone on your a**.
I will only slow down briefly till they get off of my a** and then I will resume my speeding.
I don't need anyone tail gaiting me because if I needed to stop suddenly they would hit me.
Jerk inpatient and aggressive drivers are the ones who need to be ticketed and there is no
shortage of those in Kelowna.
I am not trying to dictate how someone else drives there is just no good reason for people
to be tail gaiting if the person in front is going a reasonable speed.
I would not be stopping to "speak" to the jerk behind me.
I'll leave that to omisimaw.

...the "speak to the driver" comment was directed to the poster that made it...
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

kgcayenne wrote:How did this vehicle take out the fire hydrant while heading north and then wind up pointed east at the sign? That must take some special talent.

The fire hydrant was struck in a separate incident, about 10 days ago.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Thank you, JayBird.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

oneh2obabe wrote:Where did you read they blame an old person? They said the excuse, if not medical, would be the "old avoiding a dog, cat or gopher".

omisimaw wrote:the highlighted part

oneh2obabe wrote:Which would mean the same old, same old excuse - not old people.

to you fair enough but not to me at the time!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Pookybear wrote:You are breaking the law by impeding traffic. People like you are why driving in this town is such a pain in the a$$, drive the speed limit or take a bus.

LOL bite me, I am special waving at you as you go by... tailgate and I will slow down, back off do the speed limit and drive in a safe manner or park and walk!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

If I am going the speed limit (actually faster than the limit)...

Partmanpartfish wrote:Speedometers are often off by wild amounts, so you really have no idea what speed you are actually travelling.

My speedometers are never OFF by wild amounts as they are maintained and tested regularly as all vehicles should be. So I do know what speed I am actually traveling and what speed I am supposed to be according to whatever speed limit is in place.

I have never caused an accident but I sure know I have stopped many a rear ender ... It is absolutely my job and duty to drive responsibly in accordance with the rules of the road and there is no rule that gives you or anyone else the privilege of tailgating at any speed! That actually is against the law...

If a person is trying to rush to a hospital they might want to try dialing 911 ... they have no magic freedom to try and become an ambulance or emergency vehicle...

And emergency vehicles have lights and sirens and there are driving rules around those vehicles as well, so there would not be a bumper in my rear view but a mass exodus of everyone pulling over...

Thankfully it is not up to you to protect me, it is up to me to protect me and so far I am doing a bang up job....

without a front bumper buried in the back end of my vehicle!

Return to “Central Okanagan”