Kelowna minimum living wage now $18.42

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna minimum living wage now $18.42

Post by MAPearce »

Glacier wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 5:22 pm 7 years later and it's now 18.49, a mere 0.4% increase over 7 years.

The media really needs to stop with the doom and gloom.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... gan#350455

Yeah . They should ..

But You still can't earn a living wage working at McD's . Their starting wage is now 17.50 .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

MAPearce wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 6:01 pm But You still can't earn a living wage working at McD's . Their starting wage is now 17.50 .
You have to be a complete imbecile to still be making a starting wage there after a few months though.

It's hard not to find a job above $20/hour right now in Kelowna.

You have to be a complete brain-dead dummy if you're making min. wage or close to min. wage.
Last edited by Even Steven on Nov 2nd, 2021, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 5:22 pm 7 years later and it's now 18.49, a mere 0.4% increase over 7 years.

How many pain in the :swear: roommates are needed for this figure to work out. [icon_lol2.gif]
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 6:15 pm

How many pain in the :swear: roommates are needed for this figure to work out. [icon_lol2.gif]
4 .. IF you want to have a savings account
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

MAPearce wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 6:01 pm
Glacier wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 5:22 pm You still can't earn a living wage working at McD's . Their starting wage is now 17.50 .
I actually respect McDonald's for a couple things.
One being that they often promote their Loyal employees who stick with it even knowing there are better jobs out there.
Not going to list the other reasons now.

However I also respect most of their employees.

Which is something I can't say about some posters here :swear:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

stuphoto wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 7:57 pm
MAPearce wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 6:01 pm
I actually respect McDonald's for a couple things.
One being that they often promote their Loyal employees who stick with it even knowing there are better jobs out there.
Not going to list the other reasons now.

However I also respect most of their employees.

Which is something I can't say about some posters here :swear:
I get where you're going .. But NEVER since they upped their wages has it been harder to order a #9 with a large double double ...
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I really wish there was some place offering just a simple but yet still tasty breakfast sandwich plus good coffee.
I would honestly pay a buck or 2 more for it.

All the fast food restaurants offer something, however the eggs aren't up to my standards and I hate buns that taste like sawdust.

I like the idea of the McDonald's Big Breakfast, but don't know what their egg substitute even is.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I wonder how many people are still working for minimum wage after 7 years?
Or did some decide,
Hey, if I upgrade my skills/education I could land a well paying job!

If you're on minimum wage or close to it for any length of time, it's by choice or stupidity.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

stuphoto post_id wrote: I like the idea of the McDonald's Big Breakfast, but don't know what their egg substitute even is.
They have real eggs...
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

How much does an employee working for a painting contractor in Kelowna earn per hour ?
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Sparki,
They use some liquid in a milk container for their Big Breakfast, and the eggs they use in their sandwiches have little to no taste to them. I don't know what the liquid in the big breakfast is, but I doubt it's just eggs.

Triple O's probably has the best breakfast sandwich, at least their eggs have some taste to them.
one wheel wrote: Nov 3rd, 2021, 9:44 am How much does an employee working for a painting contractor in Kelowna earn per hour ?
I can only guess, 18 to 20.
There will be some better paying contractors, but they are the ones never looking for workers.
Also the ones you want for the best quality work.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

bb49 wrote: Nov 2nd, 2021, 9:32 pm

I wonder how many people are still working for minimum wage after 7 years?
Or did some decide,
Hey, if I upgrade my skills/education I could land a well paying job!

If you're on minimum wage or close to it for any length of time, it's by choice or stupidity.
Or do to circumstances. Some people work two jobs to put food on the table and provide for their families. If a family member needs support due to an accident or disability, it can lead to a disruption in peoples plans for the future.

Not everything is black and white.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

one wheel wrote: Nov 3rd, 2021, 9:44 am How much does an employee working for a painting contractor in Kelowna earn per hour ?
Depends on the skill, probably around $22-25 to start.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Sparki55 wrote: Nov 3rd, 2021, 7:14 am
stuphoto post_id wrote: I like the idea of the McDonald's Big Breakfast, but don't know what their egg substitute even is.
They have real eggs...
:laugh:

Or so they tell us.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: Kelowna Minimum Living Wage now $18.42

Post by common_sense_guy »

GordonH wrote: Aug 7th, 2014, 2:21 pm
Atomoa wrote: Oh I love these threads.

The 18 dollars a hour is to support 2 kids a stay and home parent.

"Lap of luxury".
At one time only 1 parent needed to bring in an income, while the other looked after home and was there for the kids.

In my opinion both jobs were important. Wonder were society would be if this was still the case.

Before any jump all over this post, it does not matter who's doing which job.
Yes. And when the government started taxing every aspect of Our Lives it forced families to have two working parents just to get by.
And people then wonder why the kids in society nowadays are little self-entitled buggers with no respect for elders or rules for the most part. Obviously not every kid but a much greater percentage than 20 years ago. When you pay to let other people raise your kids so you can go to work unfortunately it doesn't bode well for instilling values in kids
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “Central Okanagan”