Telephone scams: WARNING!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
westbankkid
Übergod

Telephone scams: WARNING!

Post by westbankkid »

I received a phone call stating to be from Westjet, that I had won a monetary amount on a future ticket. I hung up and checked Westjet's site. There is a warning from Westjet that it is a scam using their name. If you press 1 it takes you to a live operator that tries to sell you something.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Westjet Scam - WARNING!

Post by jimmy4321 »

With all the fear of fraud out there I doubt much anything legit happens over the phone anymore.

-but It's funny how banks constantly warn people of scams & fraud but I keep getting calls from my bank for surveys & credit, insurance etc. asking way too many questions. I ask for a contact and call them if interested.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

jimmy4321 wrote:With all the fear of fraud out there I doubt much anything legit happens over the phone anymore.

-but It's funny how banks constantly warn people of scams & fraud but I keep getting calls from my bank for surveys & credit, insurance etc. asking way too many questions. I ask for a contact and call them if interested.

Even the calls from the "bank" are not necessarily legit. I had calls supposedly related to my bank and credit card. When I asked the bank directly if they make these types of calls they said they don't. So someone was fishin' for information.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Good to know.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

If I answer and it is a recording I am out of there. If they need to tell me something a live voice will soon be in touch.Never happened yet and no drastic consequenses so far.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

The last free trip the phone call said I won just had some extra fees I had to cover, Those fees added up to more than the limit of the C.C. she was desperatly trying to get the number of.
What I find shocking is that people still fall prey to these obvious scams.
Going today, hear tommorow
Dented

Post by Dented »

I don't feel bad for the idiots what get scammed I laugh at those chumps why banks shouldn't let idiots have credit cards.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dented wrote:I don't feel bad for the idiots what get scammed I laugh at those chumps why banks shouldn't let idiots have credit cards.

Yup that's the second question on the application form.

1: Are you employed?

2: Are you an idiot?

lol

Don't forget if you are an idiot are you smart enough to even realize that fact?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Hasn't this telemarketing scam been around for years?
arcsparks

Telephone scams

Post by arcsparks »

Boy am I ever getting tired of these scammers, we were woke up this morning at 6;30 by the first caller, I politely asked to be removed from their list and hung up. Then the next one this morning was a fellow claiming to be from West Jet to inform me I have won a prize,I asked for more detailed info and spooked them cause they hung up.Now the third one today informs me they are from Marriot Hotels and have a vacation package for me , I again ask them to remove my # and they hang up.
The most disturbing problem is that they now can disguise the # they are calling from,the last 2 appeared to be calling from WK, I redialed the # and both were listed as not in service. So I called the Operator and was told to phone customer service,worse thing is getting charged from the Cell provider for an incoming call .
WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO ?????
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Telephone scams

Post by Hmmm »

Are these calls giving an auto message to you that asks you to press 1 or some other number? If you ever get a call from these with the automatic message that asks you to press something, DON'T you could be charged for a very expensive long distance call.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Another thing they do is spoof numbers already in their system. I have missed calls on my cell phone only to call them back and have the other party say they had not called me at all; well, the number was in my phone and all I did was tap to call-back. Then the other day someone called me and said "you called me?" and my phone hadn't called a damn soul, so I know for sure that there are scammers spoofing numbers. There really appears to be nothing that we can do about it either.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

I get these calls - not as often as I used to because the more of their time that you can waste the less likely they will call back.

Play dumb - hard of hearing - need to make them wait while you go get a pen and piece of paper while you write down the info they are telling you - your pen just ran out of ink - have to go and get another - my hearing aid battery just died - give me a minute (5) to change it - my credit card just got cancelled for lack of payment - where would I send cash instead.

Or when they ask if you are over 30 tell them yes there is someone here that is - wait a min or 2 and then slightly disguise your voice and say something along the line of "RCMP - Cyber Fraud investigation branch - how may I help you?"

The longer you can hold on to them the less likely they will call back.

They can be so much fun to play with and when you get them to swear at you - you really know that you have got them......

Enjoy - try not to sweat it.

NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I don't know if it works at all for these obvious scams but I put my number on the "Do Not Call List" It took a while to take effect but I'm rarely bothered by these calls now. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or it actually works but it's worth a try.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I'm on the Do Not Call registry as well and it works well to stop cold calls from legitimate sources, but the scam calls just keep on coming.

Return to “Social Concerns”