Ugly deserted vehicles downtown

Snarf
Übergod

Ugly deserted vehicles downtown

Post by Snarf »

Does anyone on this forum have any information about the 9 cars that have been parked inside a chain-link fenced area on the corner of Water Street and Leon Ave?
These vehicles have been there now for several years, some have smashed windows and flat tires, and it looks like a tree has started to grow inside the area. If I remember correctly, there used to be a used car business across the street that I thought managed that small lot.

Not a very nice welcome to the downtown core. Who owns this piece of land?
Snarf
Übergod

Re: Ugly deserted vehicles downtown

Post by Snarf »

Here's the area
Attachments
rsz_dsc_0200.jpg
ferencv

Post by ferencv »

Are you reading my mind??.. :) I was just doing errands yesterday and drove by, having to slow down I as well again noticed the same thing. There is the lot across the street, but these vehicles haven't gone anywhere in a long time.
My Husband pointed it out some months back. They seem to have become the furniture at that corner ;)
=======================
Simply my 2-Sense
dconzatti
Fledgling

Post by dconzatti »

Perhaps phone KFM motors on leathead if you're interested and let us know what they say:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.884134,- ... QHaYTg!2e0

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=ch ... 0-862-2555

http://www.kfmauto.com/
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I want to point out too that the owner of the building in the photo does not own the sliver of land the vehicles are on. The sliver of land is 1659 Water St. and the building is 347 Leon. I know the owner of the building and we had a discussion once about that useless sliver of land.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Looked up the property on the assessment roll and the Actual Use: is 201 - VACANT, there are other actual use codes for car lots 227 or parking lot 260. Don't know how the actual use is determined and coded, I would guess that the taxes would be higher for a car lot or parking lot then a vacant lot.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

So if the land is listed as vacant, why don't they remove those cars? It really makes for an ugly entrance to Kelowna
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Looked up the property on the assessment roll and the Actual Use: is 201 - VACANT, there are other actual use codes for car lots 227 or parking lot 260. Don't know how the actual use is determined and coded, I would guess that the taxes would be higher for a car lot or parking lot then a vacant lot.

There's no law against parking/storing vehicles on a vacant lot so why pay more taxes than necessary?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Snarf wrote:So if the land is listed as vacant, why don't they remove those cars? It really makes for an ugly entrance to Kelowna

you mean there is a nice entrance to downtown? It all looks run down if you really look at it....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

It really makes for an ugly entrance to Kelowna

And the abandoned boarded up Mickey D's across the street or weed infested lot around the corner make the entrance to town appealing?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

TIme for the city to grow a pair and start really hammering those owners and if not....take it from them and do something with it...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

True, the old McD's building should be dealt with too. Same with the old KSS property, and that other unfinished concrete structure downtown.

Wishful thinking I guess.

But in regards to the vehicles, someone must own them. Why not sell them off for cheap to get rid of them? I am sure there's more to the story than that
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The issue with the old McD's building would be the limited access from Harvey, pretty well only those heading uptown Kelowna from the westside could enter.
So no businesses would be interested the property.

As for that tiny car lot, if it bothers you so much bring it up with City.
Last edited by GordonH on Aug 11th, 2014, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

Unlike some people in Kelowna, it doesn't bother me a lot. I was actually more curious. They can stay there for the next 100 years for all I care, I just think it's fugly...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Snarf, follow this link and put in a tag on unsightly property or a danger waiting to happen. Some homeless guy might get strung up trying to crawl the fence for shelter. The City will then look into it!

https://www.kelowna.ca/iService_Request ... isr001.cfm

Return to “Central Okanagan”