What would you like to see?

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: What would you like to see?

Post by Bpeep »

Hi Brouny baby.
There were a couple Smitttys here, they disappeared a bit before you moved here.
One on Harvey Ave seemed quite busy, it burned down and wasn't rebuilt.
There was also one at klo and Richter in that mall. It closed and I think it's now called the haven?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

Bman wrote:Hi Brouny baby.
There were a couple Smitttys here, they disappeared a bit before you moved here.
There was also one at klo and Richter in that mall. It closed and I think it's now called the haven?

Yeah think heard that there were Smitty's. Just seems funny that there are all these Da Deutsche places that never look busy and are think only open like half day and no Smitty's. Its not a huge deal as do usually go to Denny's for Sunday bruch but they can be super busy . IHOP is pretty small place and also gets pretty busy on Sundays and think its pricier than Denny's.
I still think IHOP has image problem as for a long time I had no clue what it was . They should just put up the full name on their signs in my Opinion or maybe shorten it to House of Pancakes.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I think there was a fudruckers here a while back and if it's breakfast food you like, venture just over the bridge to the Pepper Pot Grill on Bylands rd. Kinda one of those little tucked away places that no one who frequents it wants anyone else to know about but the food is really good and not commercial, if that makes sense.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

The Haven has been in that area for years. It used to be over closer to the liquor store. Served one of the best bacon and egg breakfasts in town for a very reasonable price, great lunches also. When the restaurant at KLO and Richter moved / closed The Haven moved in there. The menu changed and prices went up.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
KPARKER83
Fledgling

Post by KPARKER83 »

If you're looking for breakfast, try The Bread Company. They think outside the box and it's delicious!
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Brounal, there was a dinner theatre here once upon a time, it was on what was then Benvoulin Rd, behind Skogies Carwash. I couldn't tell you what it was called, but I remember going there in the late 80's or very early 90's.

The Jammery on 97 just north of Duck Lake has the best breakfast in (or slightly out of) town for my money.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Kelowna Actors Studio on Ellis has been doing the dinner theatre for years.

http://www.kelownaactorsstudio.com/
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

OREZ wrote:Kelowna Actors Studio on Ellis has been doing the dinner theatre for years.

http://www.kelownaactorsstudio.com/

I think they advertise in a manner that attracts people who more likely to enjoy dressing well for a night out.

Fuddruckers did not survive; it was open for 14 months, 2 weeks. Essentially, the concept was lost on a majority the people here. The people who visit from out of town or have come here to live from elsewhere like to boast about the money they bring to the area, and in turn, they did not want to suffer the indignity of building their own burger. The people didn't care that the meat was butchered on-site and most other things were handmade every day. That process meant that prices were quite a bit higher, which didn't sit well with our transient demographic.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Retrosnap wrote:Let me be the first to comment and say that anyone who suggests that we need an Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Chili's or Applebee's need to be permanently banished from posting in this thread.

Why? Are you a food snob?

Applebees and Chili's both offer an appetizer (actually 2, because they split them up and you get your own portion anyway) and 2 main courses for 30 bucks.

Their food isn't bad either. An appetizer and steak fajitas for 15 bucks is a solid deal.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Why? Are you a food snob?

Applebees and Chili's both offer an appetizer (actually 2, because they split them up and you get your own portion anyway) and 2 main courses for 30 bucks.

Their food isn't bad either. An appetizer and steak fajitas for 15 bucks is a solid deal.

Here's a quote from another thread...the bolding is mine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the differences between enjoying all the nuances of a fine dining experience and simply stuffing your pie-hole at an all you can eat buffet is apparently lost on some...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I prefer dining at places that are locally owned and offer something unique. If that makes me a food snob, so be it.

I've been to all of those places, and with the exception of Red Lobster (the ocean is calling...they're running out of shrimp), I would go again. They have their place.

But if people are really busting their balls to have menus designed in an industrial kitchen in the suburbs of New Jersey, and the served up in kitschy atmospheres that are the same from coast to coast, with all of the serenity of a crowded train station, they can have it all to themselves.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
gmeikle
Fledgling

Post by gmeikle »

Although I'm not proud of it....I do have a soft spot for Red lobster. Even tho its the fast food of seafood, I need to get a yearly hit of it when I'm down in the US.

Not sure I could eat it 6 times a year, but for that 1 time..I love it :)
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Retrosnap wrote:
Here's a quote from another thread...the bolding is mine

the differences between enjoying all the nuances of a fine dining experience and simply stuffing your pie-hole at an all you can eat buffet is apparently lost on some...

I prefer dining at places that are locally owned and offer something unique. If that makes me a food snob, so be it.

Fair enough. Other than special occasions, we usually only eat out when we don't feel like cooking. A Red Robin hamburger with bottomless fries or steak fajitas from Chili's/Applebee's are fine for that and good value.

If I want fine dining, I will do it myself at home for much cheaper. I know how to cook and I can get a decent bottle of wine that won't cost 3x as much as the food.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

trapp wrote:The Haven has been in that area for years. It used to be over closer to the liquor store. Served one of the best bacon and egg breakfasts in town for a very reasonable price, great lunches also. When the restaurant at KLO and Richter moved / closed The Haven moved in there. The menu changed and prices went up.

The Haven closed probably 5 years ago. It was a great place to go and it appeared to be quite successful, but their lease was not renewed, so they closed rather than move. Now it's a bank.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:The restaurant biz here is dull. There are a few stars but for the most part, restaurants, even the good ones are just OK.

You hear that a lot.

And I think that is wrong. Food should be an experience. It should be something that folks look forward to. Going out to eat should be a treat and the experience should be good.

The restaurant doesn't have to be all decked out. It needs to be clean, organized, the staff need to be friendly and out going and the food needs to be WOW! Whatever it is.

I see too many restaurants trying to be too many things to too many people. The variety usually means that they don't do anything really well, rather they do a lot of things marginally well.

The problem is that they ask you to pay for 100% of your meal when they often only deliver 70 or 80% of what you expected. There usually is no WOW!. Just OK.

I realize that food is a personal thing and that tastes vary but if you had a specialty restaurant, people who are not fond of what you make don't go so the place should (in theory) be full of people who love........................ Fill in the blank.

Whether it's sea food or hamburgers or chicken or smoked or whatever. If it floats your boat and you saliva up when you think about it and the food is amazing, you'll go.

So what would Kelowna like to see??????

Have a look at DDD on the Food Network and you will see what I think we are missing and also what could be potentially great business, one that isn't likely to shut down quietly in the good night as many have before it.

Sigh......... This whole thread just makes me want to cry. I truly see the point of your post and had hoped to see some serious discussion about high quality restaurants. I stopped reading when I saw the words "Smittys" and "The Haven".

Just so sad how backwoods most of Kelowna still is.........lol
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Fixx is very good as well as Bouchons. Minstrel can be hit or miss. Bai Tong on Bernard is decent and blind angler in Peachland is "quaint" in its own way.

Would live some fashion restaurants and will have to try the new Vietnamese place in Glenmore.
Last edited by goatboy on Aug 20th, 2014, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”