Kelowna Prison

Ironheart

Kelowna Prison

Post by Ironheart »

I am 24 years old and in about 6 to 8 months I will be pursing the career of a correctional officer. I have lived in Kelowna all of my life and I have seen some good ideas, bad ideas and some pretty big screw ups that this city has done.

I know this is an old topic, since the great IMO opinion at least, idea of a prison coming to Kelowna was shot down back in 2011-2012.

The City of Kelowna back in 2011-2012 shot down one of the biggest ideas that the Provincial/Federal Government has ever purposed, by wanting to build another prison in the BC Southern Interior. Instead, they let the city of Oliver take it.

Is this town so backwards in the thick skull head that they turn down the biggest idea/job maker that has come to this town since probably 1950?

Just take a look at this.

A $200,000,000 Investment by the Government.
Over 500 jobs for the construction of the facility.
Over 300 permanent jobs when the new facility opens.
Over 150 indirect jobs when the facility opens. Maintenance workers, doctors, nurses and ect.

450+ new workers, buying houses, supporting local business's and staying here for a long long time.

Kelowna is a 4 month RESORT town in the summer time, no matter which way you look at it. Other than the rich Albertans coming in during those months, Kelowna has absolutely no stable long term jobs for the average man/woman Unless however you have mmmmy and daddies deep pockets to reach in and take however much you want for college. Sadly to realize that there are no jobs for even a college graduate in Kelowna. I just want to say it again... RESORT TOWN! RESORT TOWN! That's all this place is!

Please don't tell me either, that there is no land, able to sustain such a building either. Take a look in Winfield! Lots of industrial space there, where the Aristocrats of Kelowna don't have to worry about a prison break. Do you think criminals, if they broke out, would want to hang around? They want to get as far away as F@#$ing possible.

Hell, what would be wrong with putting it where the old KSS was? It's big enough, it's a central location for workers and the biggest perk of all! It will automatically clean up the downtown core of drug dealers, ladies of the night and other scum.

All these NIMBY residents think "OMG OMG, what if there is a prison break, I don't want my poor innocent little children to be hurt, while I drink my caramel macchiato, sitting on my fat a$$ and texting my my phone all day. It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach, when people say that Kelowna is most family oriented, welcoming, clean, and overall nice place to live. These people honestly must have blinders on and don't see the actual filth that is in this town. Either that or they live up in Kettle Valley and drive down, just to go to the grocery store and the mall.

But what do I know right? I'm just a 24 year old who absolutely loves Kelowna (NOT THE MAYORAL ARISTOCRAT NOSE IN THE AIR SIDE THOUGH) who is just looking for a job, to be able to survive with, buy a home, have a family and live really close with family and friends.

Ill say it once again, I love Kelowna, but this is a CULT town. Through and through.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna Prison

Post by Anonymous123 »

When you have the necessary education to become a corrections officer maybe you can move to Oliver. Real estate is cheaper there.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

well that was an interesting rant. other then you venting, dont really see the point in it though. The decisions obviously been made.
I guess you could always become an RCMP officer instead, and ask to be located in Kelowna. Certainly no shortage of criminals around here.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Ironheart

Post by Ironheart »

vinnied wrote:well that was an interesting rant. other then you venting, dont really see the point in it though. The decisions obviously been made.
I guess you could always become an RCMP officer instead, and ask to be located in Kelowna. Certainly no shortage of criminals around here.

The point was to show how the cult leaders of Kelowna, missed out on one of the biggest economy boosters that this city would have ever seen. But I guess the people of Kelowna and high society members only have 1 thing on their mind. Filling up their crystal glasses with locally grown wines. Support of local wineries/alcoholics is evidently more important than sustainable growth of the city
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not the first time that local politicians have screwed up and won't be the last.

Get out and vote because not too many in your age group do.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

high society members only have 1 thing on their mind. Filling up their crystal glasses with locally grown wines. Support of local wineries/alcoholics is evidently more important than sustainable growth of the city

Ummmmmm. Yeah.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Aug 18th, 2014, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comments removed.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

You are a hero, you corrected his grammar. He was merely trying to get a point across, which personally I tend to agree with on a certain level. But hey who gives a *bleep* right?
Sure do love Rutland!!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Aug 18th, 2014, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Well, it would be a good start in your discussion if you had at least the main fact correct.

Oliver did not get the correctional center. The 360-cell remand center will be built in the Senkulmen Enterprise Park, an industrial park on Osoyoos First Nations land, 28 kilometers south of Penticton and 7 kilometers north of Oliver.

Also, you suggest Winfield, which if you were unaware, is not part of Kelowna and as such, Kelowna has no control over what they do in Winfield.

You also suggest the old KSS site. Luckily you're not a city planner as that site would be absolutely one of the worst places to put it. Welcome to Kelowna, see our nice new prison. You may knock the "resort" label of Kelowna but it brings a heck of a lot of money to this town and the last thing you would want visitors to this town driving in and seeing is a big old prison surrounded by barbed wire.

To be honest, I don't think Kelowna was the right place for it. Lake Country maybe, but not Kelowna.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Anonymous123 wrote:When you have the necessary education to become a corrections officer maybe you can move to Oliver. Real estate is cheaper there.

people have to move for jobs...and well for this job your looking for you will have to move and the closest jail is going to be in Oliver. As for Real Estate...well not much cheaper than in Kelowna..
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Wow, you're really selling this idea...

"Come to Kelowna, it's a resort town at best. You'll find lowlife scum bags all over the place! And now they're even more conveniently placed at the old KSS location, right in downtown Kelowna! Hit up Center of Gravity and then stumble right down the street and watch a prison riot. It's great! If you're lucky enough, you can secure one of the 450 jobs at our fancy new prison (but let's face it, they'll hire qualified people regardless of where they're from) then you can afford to buy a home, drink wine out of your finest crystal, and rise a family in this *removed* town!"

Good luck to you sir.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 18th, 2014, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 18th, 2014, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic comments removed.
On a different forum
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

You may want to investigate other career choices if you want yo stay in the valley. Instead of being antagonistic towards the "resort town" stigma why don't you embrace it. Just think how much money you would have if you got a dollar from everyone that passes through the area. You may just have to work only 4 months out of the year.
Ironheart

Post by Ironheart »

Hey Goatboy. My idea of building it downtown on the old KSS lot, was obviously a joke at best. I think of Winfield is a part of Kelowna, but in the real world, that is obviously incorrect. It honestly just doesn't make any sense whatsoever why Kelowna didn't want or bring the prison, which now the Osoyoos First Nations did.

When you really break it down into two groups..

The "Pros" and (NO PUN INTENDED) The "Cons"

The Pros. Growth of Kelowna's economy, more people staying and living in Kelowna instead of being "Gone With The Wind for 21 days to Alberta,More Jobs, aside from the permanent jobs that are there, once it has been built IE Maintenance, Food, Laundry (Even more internal growth within the community and actually letting the college kids use those diploma's they got from IE RN's, LPN, various Doctors and ect ect).

Actually rehabilitating the criminals who are behind those bars to become better citizens.

The "Cons". Selection of area that is out of the way of people, so they don't even have to think about there is a Prison in their backyards. Which we all know, Kelowna has DOZEN's of perfectly kept out of the way places. Hmm...................... Once again.... It's the whole "BUILD MORE PRISONS, THEY ARE GOOD! KEEP THE BAD GUYS AWAY AND LOCKED UP!. But not here.... Not In My Back Yard.

Maybe I am missing something? If I am, please let me know.

Sad to say really. I'd rather Kelowna be known as a Prison town, rather than a CULT town.

goatboy wrote:Well, it would be a good start in your discussion if you had at least the main fact correct.

Oliver did not get the correctional center. The 360-cell remand center will be built in the Senkulmen Enterprise Park, an industrial park on Osoyoos First Nations land, 28 kilometers south of Penticton and 7 kilometers north of Oliver.

Also, you suggest Winfield, which if you were unaware, is not part of Kelowna and as such, Kelowna has no control over what they do in Winfield.

You also suggest the old KSS site. Luckily you're not a city planner as that site would be absolutely one of the worst places to put it. Welcome to Kelowna, see our nice new prison. You may knock the "resort" label of Kelowna but it brings a heck of a lot of money to this town and the last thing you would want visitors to this town driving in and seeing is a big old prison surrounded by barbed wire.

To be honest, I don't think Kelowna was the right place for it. Lake Country maybe, but not Kelowna.

Return to “Central Okanagan”