Highway pollution

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Highway pollution

Post by Glacier »

Merry wrote:I don't disagree with that statement Glacier. There are lots of instances of man made visual pollution that ruin the natural landscape. But, as I said earlier, two (or even a thousand) wrongs don't make a right.

It's unfortunate that criticizing an unsightly blot on our landscape has been reduced by some to being akin to racism. Because, as I said earlier, the fact those signs are on First Nations Land is, for me, beside the point. I would feel the same way about them regardless of whose land they happened to be on. And, while I'm sure there are also many other places where ugly man made structures blot the horizon, that doesn't alter the fact that those Westbank billboards look absolutely terrible.

To be clear, no one is racist for objecting to them. They are only billboards. No worse than power lines, clearcuts, rundown buildings, or auto wreckers like you see further up the road from here. We see this all over the country, and it's just part of what puts food on the table for people, and I'm okay with that.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The highway pollution that gets me are those who feel throwing out their trash as they drive along is okay. It's not okay, please keep it in your vehicle and dispose of it properly.

Biggest offenders are those stop at fast-food places.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Totally agree, Gordon. Billboards are just structures like buildings and powerlines, but garbage thrown out vehicles is real pollution, and totally disgusting.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

There are billboards when you're entering/nearing almost every city in BC... it's how you know you're close!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I've kicked this thread out from under its cow patty because the topic was raised in a recent thread.
Some doof's use any excuse to dust up the WFN or any other First Nation or member thereof.
In addressing this:

I chuckle when people speak of the blight of these signs on the landscape, but I laugh out loud when they speak of how they block the magnificent view of the lake headed from WESTBANK to Kowlona.

The signs do not break the panorama on approach to the bridge. If they do, you're in trouble. You may want to view your surroundings as it appears you might be sliding into the median, or clear across the other lane and headed for the berm. Not your day.

Nobody ever discusses who pays to pollute your supposed view. Skyline and Pattison should be recognizable names. Have any of you whining buffoons ever made a call or written a letter to those WHITE males that are making those choices for you?
Have any of you considered what the billboards are doing there?
They are selling product to you mindless fools.
They are telling you to get your car fixed at Fender's, and while you wait for the parts from NAPA, you can stay at the Stay'n'Save after your dinner out to Opa's. When you wake, come to Denny's for breaky and then get some good looks at the local Salon. Buy a new watch before heading back to get your car. After all that, won't a nice spa retreat or some rounds of golf feel great?

You cry-babies need to wake the hell up. It's NOT the WFN, Derrickson, Louie or any other Redman you need to snivel about. It''s a fat-cat in a tailored suit that LOVES to direct your pathetic *bleep* to buy, buy and more buy. Coincidentally, I highly doubt you'll find a Redman in that office.

I drove past the signs in Lake Country last night. All lit up and beaming through the darkness. I said to my partner, "That's the native's way of giving back. They were taught how to capitalize in this broken culture. They were given the tools needed, and shown the ways to do it. Now, they're selling us burgers, banks, brokers and bottles of beer. They're using the system they were shown and encouraged to use. Now, those with less land, money or opportunity are crying sad rivers of salty tears. I call that jealousy. I also call it hilarious.

Great job to ALLLLLLLLLLL the First Nations for doing whatever they can to get ahead in this money grubbing society you're expected to embrace. Embrace it, and use it to the fullest extent. Chew out the meat and spit the rest back. Take only what you need.

Hunt for opportunity.
Fish for investors.

Gather your profits.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Graham Adder wrote:I've kicked this thread out from under its cow patty because the topic was raised in a recent thread.
Some doof's use any excuse to dust up the WFN or any other First Nation or member thereof.
In addressing this:

I chuckle when people speak of the blight of these signs on the landscape, but I laugh out loud when they speak of how they block the magnificent view of the lake headed from WESTBANK to Kowlona.

The signs do not break the panorama on approach to the bridge. If they do, you're in trouble. You may want to view your surroundings as it appears you might be sliding into the median, or clear across the other lane and headed for the berm. Not your day.

Nobody ever discusses who pays to pollute your supposed view. Skyline and Pattison should be recognizable names. Have any of you whining buffoons ever made a call or written a letter to those WHITE males that are making those choices for you?
Have any of you considered what the billboards are doing there?
They are selling product to you mindless fools.
They are telling you to get your car fixed at Fender's, and while you wait for the parts from NAPA, you can stay at the Stay'n'Save after your dinner out to Opa's. When you wake, come to Denny's for breaky and then get some good looks at the local Salon. Buy a new watch before heading back to get your car. After all that, won't a nice spa retreat or some rounds of golf feel great?

You cry-babies need to wake the hell up. It's NOT the WFN, Derrickson, Louie or any other Redman you need to snivel about. It''s a fat-cat in a tailored suit that LOVES to direct your pathetic *bleep* to buy, buy and more buy. Coincidentally, I highly doubt you'll find a Redman in that office.

I drove past the signs in Lake Country last night. All lit up and beaming through the darkness. I said to my partner, "That's the native's way of giving back. They were taught how to capitalize in this broken culture. They were given the tools needed, and shown the ways to do it. Now, they're selling us burgers, banks, brokers and bottles of beer. They're using the system they were shown and encouraged to use. Now, those with less land, money or opportunity are crying sad rivers of salty tears. I call that jealousy. I also call it hilarious.

Great job to ALLLLLLLLLLL the First Nations for doing whatever they can to get ahead in this money grubbing society you're expected to embrace. Embrace it, and use it to the fullest extent. Chew out the meat and spit the rest back. Take only what you need.

Hunt for opportunity.
Fish for investors.

Gather your profits.

Would you like some dip for that huge chip on your shoulder?

FNs are the only group that I can think of that refuses to contribute to their own success ( with a few exceptions). Allowing signs to be posted doesn't cut it.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 24th, 2016, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Rider59 wrote:
Would you like some dip for that huge chip on your shoulder?

FNs are the only group that I can think of that refuses to contribute to their own success ( with a few exceptions). Allowing signs to be posted doesn't cut it.

*removed*

Clearly you're speaking from a point of ignorance.
Ignorance breeds arrogance.
Your blanket statements seem to me to be about as clean and useful as blankets from the past.
Keep 'em to yourself. They're not wanted.

I can see LOTS of positive growth and forward momentum in MANY First Nation's communities throughout Canada. You don't have to wade deep to find many examples, but if you choose to live in the same fist pounding anger you were shown across the dinner table, you're only going in circles. Break that vicious circle, come out in the sunshine and take a few deep breaths. You'd be amazed just how much good is going on.

*removed*

I need no dip. I sport no chip.
You, on the other hand...
Last edited by ferri on Aug 24th, 2016, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 24th, 2016, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

matai wrote:Apologizing what for? Did I say anything erroneous? Is she the official representative forWestside-Klona?

She is the representative for West-side Kelowna, however ,Within First nations land the province has no jurisdiction over. None! They are considered federal lands. If one is to complain you should visit the First Nation Office. Good luck with that. They will listen carefully to what you say and then as soon as you head for your car they will be laughing their heads off.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

jetty1965 wrote:...If one is to complain you should visit the First Nation Office. Good luck with that. They will listen carefully to what you say and then as soon as you head for your car they will be laughing their heads off.

Nah.
They save all the laughing for their trips to the bank.
:spitcoffee:
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Those things are an eyesore. They are nothing shy of an pathetic arrogant welcome to an otherwise world class city, perpetuated by the only people who could get away with it.
And of course, as soon as someone says that, someone else plays the race card.
Maybe the race card wouldn't be played in immediate defense in matters like this if the people who own the property would develop it with the investment and class it deserves instead of hacking out the easy way by whoring it out with no investment required on their behalf, in arrogant defiance of mainstream society's values.

Maybe there's a reason that both the offensive and defensive positions both ultimately play the race card.
Imo it's a poor offense and defense.
Maybe the truth is laziness, avarice, and lack of governmental procedure consistent with the rest of society.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”