Central Green urban lie

GJay

Central Green urban lie

Post by GJay »

Does anyone know what's happening with the Central Green (old KSS site) at Richter and Rowcliffe? There isn't any info on the City of Kelowna website but the sign at the KSS site has been covered with real estate signs. Anybody?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Central Green urban lie

Post by Logitack »

was discussed, not heavily (5 posts), here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55498&hilit=central+green
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

GJay wrote:Does anyone know what's happening with the Central Green (old KSS site) at Richter and Rowcliffe? There isn't any info on the City of Kelowna website but the sign at the KSS site has been covered with real estate signs. Anybody?

There's a new building going up on rowcliffe (just outside the dog park, is that central green land?) which I assume is the proposed women's support housing talked about on the KSAN site. I don't know how that fits into the central green concept. The link to the women's housing on the city website says 'file now closed' , why's that if the building isn't finished yet?
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The City has a "dream" for the Central Green site. They have tried for years to find a developer to build this "dream" but even after the City lowering their pie in the sky standards several times no developer has been able to put forward a proposal that both meets the City's standards and is profitable to construct.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

This is basically very good news for everyone. I am glad that Council stuck to their guns. This overall development should provide much needed rental and low income housing in the downtown core area. The inclusion of the park is also a great bonus.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What is the lie part?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

erinmore3775 wrote:This is basically very good news for everyone. I am glad that Council stuck to their guns. This overall development should provide much needed rental and low income housing in the downtown core area. The inclusion of the park is also a great bonus.

Yes, the crack heads who deal and use behind BP need a place to lay! Have to love the green space!
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Ken7 wrote: Yes, the crack heads who deal and use behind BP need a place to lay! Have to love the green space!

I am a person on a low income/disability (not a crack head, dealer, alcoholic, etc.) who actually could use an affordable, preferably not run down place to live so I can stay stable and move forward with my life. Not everyone who needs affordable housing IS an addict/dealer, etc. That is so disrespectful.

That housing is supposed to be for low income families, individuals, and seniors. Or that is what it was supposed to be at one point anyway.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Ken7 wrote: Yes, the crack heads who deal and use behind BP need a place to lay! Have to love the green space!

mysideofthings wrote:I am a person on a low income/disability (not a crack head, dealer, alcoholic, etc.) who actually could use an affordable, preferably not run down place to live so I can stay stable and move forward with my life. Not everyone who needs affordable housing IS an addict/dealer, etc. That is so disrespectful.

That housing is supposed to be for low income families, individuals, and seniors. Or that is what it was supposed to be at one point anyway.

Have you checked out the new development on Brookside near the Springfield and Gordon intersection?

http://rentcityhomes.com/
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Anonymous123 wrote:
Have you checked out the new development on Brookside near the Springfield and Gordon intersection?

http://rentcityhomes.com/

I did see that earlier. It would be at the top of my budget for affordability though because I don't think it includes utilities (unclear on that).

My situation is undetermined at the moment as in I have a place to live currently but in the next year will have to move. but I cannot predict when I will have to move, so I can't really plan anything.

I've looked over the last two years to see what rent prices are doing, and it's mostly overpriced, run down places and very limited choices for someone on my income, as in the most I've found were maybe 10 places around the city. I also don't drive so would need to be near buses and preferably a store at least. Hoping by the time I do have to move, something will change.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

It's important not to confuse "affordable" housing and low income housing.

Glad to see something get going with this site. Between the Central Green development and the changes coming to the Capri shopping centre, it's going to be an interesting decade or so in South Central.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

JayByrd wrote:It's important not to confuse "affordable" housing and low income housing.

Glad to see something get going with this site. Between the Central Green development and the changes coming to the Capri shopping centre, it's going to be an interesting decade or so in South Central.

Or you mean what people's definition is of both?

I mean, I AM on a low income, so I DO need affordable housing, so they do kind of go hand in hand. But if you look at low income housing as run down, slum lord type stuff, then yeah, I see why needing to separate the two would be needed lol
Guru

Post by 1669 »

A very small number of units may be low income rentals as mandated by the city, but I doubt the majority of the units will be.

I doubt that much of it will be low income housing, bc it has been bought by Stober, one of the largest landlords in the city. As a private contractor, he has to make a profit, and there is no profit paying the full cost to build something, and then renting it out for less than it's worth.

As a private contractor/landlord, he is not in business to lose money, and it is not his responsibility to provide subsidized housing.

Too many low income rentals and the place will become a ghetto.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

1669 wrote:A very small number of units may be low income rentals as mandated by the city, but I doubt the majority of the units will be.

I doubt that much of it will be low income housing, bc it has been bought by Stober, one of the largest landlords in the city. As a private contractor, he has to make a profit, and there is no profit paying the full cost to build something, and then renting it out for less than it's worth.

As a private contractor/landlord, he is not in business to lose money, and it is not his responsibility to provide subsidized housing.

Too many low income rentals and the place will become a ghetto.

I thought that the friendship centre/society was supposed to build a certain number of them or did that change? (Never mind. I see it now)

Why would they SAY they are affordable housing and be intended for that but then someone just be allowed turn around and change it? Doesn't make sense. And that is disgusting if it happens.

Return to “Central Okanagan”