Crystal Mountain closed for the season!

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Crystal Mountain closed for the season!

Post by Symbonite »

forget about the ski hill

look into a development for houses
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Houses? Water is a major issue up there. Or lack there of.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

watching CHBC last night

Closed indefinitly until all safety checks are done = big money....

Doubt they will do it because they would have to trickle down the users and if its too much no one will come...oh well time to drive however long it takes to big white...well thats if I ski or snowboard which I have better things to do then be on a cold mountain.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

There's an article in tomorrow's paper talking about the development, including a golf course. I wonder where they'll find the water to keep the grass green, amongst other thongs.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 20th, 2014, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Black Dogs Matter
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 20th, 2014, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
tylerdaniels
Fledgling

Post by tylerdaniels »

logman wrote:Maybe the owners of Big White (with their deep pockets)should look at at Crystal(Last) Mountain as an investment. Where do they think the future of local skiers and snowboarders come from? The season pass holders had to learn as kids. Kids that really wanted to ski with parents that did not ski learned at Last mountain. Open your eyes Big White. You have lost future skiers and snowboarder with the loss of of Crystal(Last) Mountain.

There is no point for big white to even look at Crystal in my opinion and it should remain closed.

Big White is a beginner/intermediate mountain it has plenty of room for kids to learn to ski so I don't even know where you guys are forming this silly opinion.The mountain also has better ski schools, ski patrols, and plenty of beginner hills for any new skiier or snowboarder. Plus they maintain their lifts unlike the problem we see today at Crystal Mountain.

Big white was also just rated best family resort in north america this year, so if it won that reward I think its already well established as being a place for beginners and families to go.

Its also an hour drive at the most from downtown, it really ain't that bad compared to some mountains like hemlock that require a 4x4 up a dirt road for 2 hours.
schnyder

Post by schnyder »

Am hopeful that Crystal will open again. Great hill for families and safe for kids to be dropped off and enjoy the day. Only 5 minutes from our house and have lived in Glenrosa on Last mt for over 35 years. Enjoyed Last Mt. ski hill when I was a teen and happily my kids used it before they were able to go to Big White on their own. Fingers crossed they fix their issues so others can enjoy for years to come.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

It is a great place and has been a part of our community for a long time.
I've skied Last Mountain since the 70's and now watch my kids ski there.
I hope they sort this out soon and move forward with their plans.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Any news yet on that refund they were talking about?
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

A development is going to have hurdles to go over. Peachland won't allow it as the resort and any building is in the Peachland watershed and any pollution such as septic etc falls under Peachland. The proposed development a few years back was met with opposition from Town Council and the Crystal investors backed down on building. It will be the same thing. Meet some very strict building standards and prove to Peachland the watershed won't be damaged. We don't need that kind of drainage coming into our drinking water. Development will be dead up there as no money will be put in, the resort now won't put money into the lifts...
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

That place is done. Is there even 6 inches of snow there? Remove the garbage and plant some trees.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I'm thinking build some mtn bike trails up there.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

That is a good idea Steve-O. The mountain biking season is way longer than the ski season up there. There is infrastructure in place. Cleared open runs for beginners and construction of ramps and banked walls. I bet it would draw more money spenders and enthusiasts of mountain biking than it would for a sub par ski hill. It really could be a fantastic place for a mountain bike paradise. You would know better though. Is there not enough elevation drop? Would you spend most of your time on the old chair back up?
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Latest is that crystal will not be giving out refunds to season pass holders, as the other mountains allowed crystal skiers to use their mountain for free. Also it was only for a month.

Return to “Central Okanagan”