Aptitude Tests

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
okanagankitchen

Re: Aptitude Tests

Post by okanagankitchen »

As an employer in the okanagan we have considered an aptitude test to screen resumes. We were both previously employed by a large-ish high tech company in the lower mainland that used a unique test that really did a good job of screening out inappropriate applicants.

Most of our employees are just above minimum wage, not all, but most. The ones above are at a very decent wage level. The problem we have found in this market with aptitude tests is that hinestly, the lack of education to understand the questions. Instead, we have incorporated some brain puzzles into the interview process. In many cases, the answer is not a set one. What is really important is HOW you answer the question. If you do not understand the situation or reply "I dont know", you are not a fit.
We have had some very amusing responses over the years, and these are often the folks who get the job.

This is a tourism based market (for the most part). Sometimes the folks that are willing to work the hardest do not get a chance, but sometimes they are simply not a fit all around and this needs to be determined early on for all those involved.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

GordonH wrote:minimum wage jobs are not meant to be long term.

Don't tell employers around here that!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I should have asked my employer to take an aptitude test before I applied to work for him.......

6 years I've toiled for him and he STILL just doesn't get it....

It's a JOKE General....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Social Concerns”