The #1 problem with Kelowna

hozzle
Lord of the Board

Re: The #1 problem with Kelowna

Post by hozzle »

I dont live in Kelowna, but I work in Kelowna and I attended an association (I won't mention what association) meeting a number of years ago and what was tabled was non-permanent residential housing. The attendees, in general, were opposed to the well-to-do moving into this town and not buying things and using things in town 12 months out of the year. Luckily some stood up and mentioned that the taxes were still being paid, landscapers and property managers were being hired, and they would attract more of their well-to-do friends to Kelowna. Fast forward 10yrs or so to today and yes you have traffic problems and a proposed ugly new building on the Willow site, but if those people got their way 10 yrs ago Kelowna would be a far different and sad place imho.

edit: I'm gettin old... make that meeting 15yrs ago, I think, lol
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

AirHoss wrote:Not hard to tell who the Conservative minds are in this thread. Anyone who wants to better the place or make progress is a whiner or a complainer. People content to sit down, shut up and do nothing are admired as great citizens. If you were all in charge, we'd still be living in caves and defacating in an open trench.

Congratulations.

So people who say they hate it and want to move away, won't vote, and just point out the problems with no solutions proposed are not whiners/complainers? They are somehow wanting to want to better the city or make progress?

And even funnier still, those who are pleased with the city and don't have an overwhelmingly negative attitude toward the city are conservatives who would still like to be defecating in trenches. It's the people who *don't* move away and hate the city that make it a better place. They stick around and work at it. Not sit back and complain. They get out and vote. They don't turn tail and run.

Congratulations for the most ridiculous interpretation of the week on castanet.
You and 71 others Like this post
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't think there's a problem with Kelowna?

I don't think so.

There's room for improvement in some areas, but the same and more can be said for the majority of other places.

All things considered there's worse places one could live.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:There's room for improvement in some areas, but the same and more can be said for the majority of other places.

Indeed.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Captain Awesome wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't think there's a problem with Kelowna?

All places have their own problems be they large or small. I don't think anywhere is perfect but I'll take Kelowna over any other place I've been. (so far)

Cumungala when I was 19 I had all ready been halfway around the world and by the time I was 23 I had lived all over Asia.
Enjoy yourself and I sure there will be someone to miss you, just not that many here who have never even met you.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Kelowna works for me!
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

there is not enough sunshine in kelowna... hope someone can fix that ASAP... particularly from november through april ;)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Logitack wrote:there is not enough sunshine in kelowna... hope someone can fix that ASAP... particularly from november through april ;)

Okay all you Kelowna residents with lots of hot air Logitack needs you to blow hard between November to April. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Personally I think the #1 Problem with Kelowna (the whole Okanagan for that matter) is there are too many people who forget that their vision of perfection, is not necessarily the same as the next person's, the result of which is that no matter what has been done, or what will be done in future, there will always be those who complain about it.

In short there is no pleasing everyone, and that's an important thing to remember.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

I am of the same opinion. I find that 90% of the people that complain about Kelowna don't live in Kelowna.

Those that live in West Bank and drive into Kelowna because that is where they work always complain about the traffic, not sure if the bridge is the reason.... [insert eyes rolling]
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

I came to Kelowna in 1987 with nothing but a grade 12 education and a vehicle loan. My first job here was a waiter in a restaurant.

Today I own a very successful business and make over 100K annually. There is nothing wrong with Kelowna if you have the ambition to better yourself. It really is that simple. The city is not going to fix your problems, no city will fix your problems.

The traffic sucks, but where does traffic not suck? I was in Armstrong a few weeks ago and got stuck behind someone doing 5K under on a 2 lane road. It stayed like that for about 15 minutes. I wanted to slap the person and I assume the other 10 cars behind me wanted to do the same thing.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Panzer130 wrote:The traffic sucks, but where does traffic not suck?

I'm thinking that the people who complain about the traffic in Kelowna have never lived in a "real" city.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I wonder what the #2 problem might be?
K town is like whoville - safe and nothing much happens. When it does it is rehashed for months.
I like living here because of the vocal complainers.. makes my Life feel well not so sucky
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Panzer130 wrote:I came to Kelowna in 1987 with nothing but a grade 12 education and a vehicle loan. My first job here was a waiter in a restaurant.

Today I own a very successful business and make over 100K annually. There is nothing wrong with Kelowna if you have the ambition to better yourself. It really is that simple. The city is not going to fix your problems, no city will fix your problems.

The traffic sucks, but where does traffic not suck? I was in Armstrong a few weeks ago and got stuck behind someone doing 5K under on a 2 lane road. It stayed like that for about 15 minutes. I wanted to slap the person and I assume the other 10 cars behind me wanted to do the same thing.

5 K under what, the maximum limit? Those signs signify the maximum speed a car may travel. There is no law that says you must travel at that speed. 5 K under is reasonable.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Panzer130 wrote:I came to Kelowna in 1987 with nothing but a grade 12 education and a vehicle loan. My first job here was a waiter in a restaurant.

I was told by a business owner that if you could make it in Kelowna you can make it anywhere! Welcome, it's good to have you along.
I was in Pittsburgh Pa. a few years back. Two rivers meet there and the city is bridges, one after the other. Traffic is very congested because of the rivers and bridges crossing them. There are also many tunnels. All the road cuts are solid rock.
In some cases there are multiple bridges, one above the other. Sometimes you have to cross the river drive a few blocks and then cross the same river back to get where you are going because they have blocked off the original route.
Returning to Washington DC was a 4 lane road with traffic backed up for miles and miles, stop and go in a standard transmission car up hill.
When we got to where the congestion was, it was a cop, sitting on the side of the road, doing nothing but restricting the flow of traffic, it was insane! There was nobody else being stopped but 2 lanes being forced into one lane for what purpose?
It made bridge hill in Kelowna look like a sunday school picnic.
Oh, and being behind the driver doing 5 km/hr under the limit, I'll bet that as soon as he hit the 4 lane section he sped up!
Waste not

Return to “Central Okanagan”