Telus going door to door?

susyq
Fledgling

Telus going door to door?

Post by susyq »

So, this young guy wearing an orange/yellow vest, knocks on the door at 6 pm....... He says Telus wants to install a Fiber Optic line from telephone pole to our house..... Okay I said, are you with Telus, like work for them? He hummed and hawed, and started with a spiel about how it will help with resale value of our home??? HUH??? Just sign this official looking Telus paperwork & we will install for free..... Again HUH? So I asked for some Telus ID..... He gives me a business card from Vancouver? I said give me the paperwork you want me to sign to look over & if all is good I will sign it..... He got all flustered but gave me the paperwork..... He babbled something about Walter Grey (Kelowna Mayor) being on board with Kelowna home installation...... I don't have Telus Cable or Internet...... This was just weird!!!! Any comments on this people?????
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Telus going door to door?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Telus is rolling out its fiber optic network. It's pretty cool.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Telus has hired a company out of Vancouver (I forget the name) where they go into various communities and go door to door to get permission from residents to install the fibre optics. I know someone who does this. I don't know if they actually have Telus business cards or ID though but should be driving a vehicle at least with the Telus logo (the person I know has it on his truck). So, if you are questioning if it is legit, it is, and just as long as they aren't asking for money, you should be fine.
susyq
Fledgling

Post by susyq »

Okay I understand, its legit but.... I use Shaw.... I don't have telus internet or cable.... So why do I want another line from telephone pole to house?? Telus never sent a letter, as young guy said I should have gotten? I just find it very weird is all..... It's free he says, will be a bonus if we sell house, oh and Mayor Walter iis on board with this.....
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

It's probably free if you sign up for Telus service. So, you switch to Telus Internet, and they hook up your house to fiber network.

Don't know what's with Grey or resale value, must be his pitch.

He only got frustrated because if you sign up later, he doesn't get the commission off you.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I wish he'd knock on my door.
It's been awful quiet.
I'd like a fiber optic cable.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

I don't think they keep track of who is a customer or not, so they probably just go door to door in case someone is a customer OR they try to get people to sign up. I don't know. I live in a strata complex, so we all are with different providers. I'm with Telus but was not notified by a letter. One person got one and let the rest of us know just in case we were customers.

They probably want to get the installation done now instead of later so it's one less thing for them to do if they get you or someone else as a customer in the future, also since it's such a large scale project, which again is probably why they have a company out of Vancouver helping them go door to door in communities.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

There was a letter explaining the whole thing that went around about a month ago or so - and that the city endorsed it. My husband talked with a few friends and I talked with a few people (my boss knows some people at Telus) and we decided to go for it. So we haven't had to deal with the salespeople coming around. I will say the guy showed up a bit late - but called us to let us know he would be and gave us a realistic timeline for arrival, which he kept. Then he was very patient while I trimmed my climbing roses back (I didn't know the stuff he needed to access was under them -__-;). Got us up and and running in decent time, and he was polite and friendly all throughout - even though it appears he'd had something of a frustrating day. I was impressed.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

They might be polite and they might be legit, but the guy at my place trespassed through my closed, chained, gate with a sign clearly saying not to do that on it. So no, I am not interested in dealing with someone who can't read or obey my sign.
Mytown
Fledgling

Post by Mytown »

Haven't had anyone by our place, however we did receive a notice in our mail advising that Fibre Optics was now available in our neighbourhood. I called them and had them connect it. All I can say is WOW! So fast and is always constant speed. The girl I spoke to on the phone was very polite and accommodating. I have seen many signs at bus stops and in the paper advertising fibre coming to your neighbourhood soon.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

We had a young fellow come to our door in Peachland about a month ago. Dressed nicely with Telus ID. We didn't sign up then but will in November. Our ADSL internet is terrible now, and I called them last night as it was down more than it was up. Just a month ago they brought us a new router, and that's even worse. They said that we had hardly any signal last night and he boosted it the best he could from his end and reset our router during the call, informed us that the copper lines are now out of date they use for things. He said go fibre optic and we won't be sorry. Our Satellite even went up and down last night. They are really promoting it. But the tech last night did say not to use 2.4 ghz phones when using wifi computers. They interfere with the signals and to buy a phone with a different frequency. Never knew that. This was a Telus tech in Calgary or Vancouver where ever they are. Next month it's the full meal deal with them. Internet and TV will go fibre optic.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

If these guys are legit, they're doing a very poor job at presenting themselves. Made some very rude comments to mom when they were at her door.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

WOW, what a controversy. Telus is bringing fibre optics to each and every home in Kelowna, which means simply that the line needs to go from pole to the box connection on the house. They are not putting anything on the inside of the house. This is so the infrastructure is in place. The kids going around in bright yellow vests are simply drawing a diagram as to where the box is located so when the crews com to run the lines they won't have to search around to find the box. Once they get the lines to the boxes, a team will go around and try to sell their new super high speed fibre optic package. I have Shaw but understand that the infrastructure in place at least gives the opportunity to swap over to the fibre optic in the future. No big secret as to what is going on, crews have been around for some time now running the main lines, now it goes to the homes next.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Oct 27th, 2014, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: try again without the creative-but-inappropriate language
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

I just went through the process. While I agree the explanation could be better presented by the door-to-door people, I did call Telus to confirm it and I now have faster internet. I also complained about my price going up and they gave me a discount.

Return to “Central Okanagan”