Abandoned buildings

Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Abandoned buildings

Post by Not Bob »

Old prospector I knew told me that misson creek produced some silver way back, there are probably active claims on most of the river even though they aren't being worked
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Apologizing about typos. Not the best at noticing them when using a phone to read the forums
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

There was a discussion about gold panning a while back and yes, I believe it was stated that a lot of the creeks in the area have claims on them
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Urbex, eh? I've found that the term "rurex" is more apt in this area, honestly. Either way, I like such activities, but haven't done much since I moved here.
Your bias suits you.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

The Granite City site outside of Coalmont is neat to snoop around and has an interesting history. There's an old cemetery up the hill also.
I birn quil I se
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Not in the Okanagan, but I think it would be great to visit Ocean Falls, BC one day.

http://www.canadiannaturephotographer.c ... falls.html
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

The fates of these places always have a certain sadness attached. Phoenix was a thriving mining town built for the families of those who worked there. Now all that remains is a war monument and cemetery, the two things they couldn't bulldoze.
http://www.ghosttownpix.com/bc/phoenix.html
I birn quil I se
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Randall T wrote:The Granite City site outside of Coalmont is neat to snoop around and has an interesting history. There's an old cemetery up the hill also.

Yes that cemetery is old but still active.
Buried MIL there in 2006.
Five generations of that family in there.
Between Granite (tent) City, Blakeburn, and Coalmont they've lived in the area since 1800's
Granite city is said to have been the biggest population north of San Francisco in it's day?
I've got a book that flags Coalmont as a ghost town, but it never was.
Sorry, I get myself all exited remembering the stories.
Spent a lot of time in Coalmont.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Not so much a ghost town but definitely abandon - http://www.kitsault.com/index.html

Amazing they would build up so much infrastructure on something so fickle (molybdenum).
http://www.kitsault.com/about_hist.html

Friends in Terrace have been through there, mentioned feeling like theyre being watched.

I do think the place has a Keeper as it was bought by some east coast American eventually hoping to turn the place back into some type of working community...
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Why do you call moly fickle.
Perhaps you have no idea of the role it plays in your everyday life..

Mollybedurned......it was sometimes called..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Yes, I noticed some more recent gravesites when I was there last. Also some very old unmarked ones that were just depressions in the gound.

As far as the population in its prime goes, there seems to be some uncertainty. I've found a couple of references where it was a bit over 2,000 and was the third largest settlement in BC. It was never a real city and the proper name was Granite Creek, but they called it a city. Probably because it felt like one with the hotel and saloon action.

Funny thing is that when they were dredging and panning for gold, they were throwing aside the more valuable platinum, thinking it was worthless.
I birn quil I se
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Why do you call moly fickle.
Perhaps you have no idea of the role it plays in yourcabineteryday life..

Mollybedurned......it was sometimes called..

Not so much the mineral itself but the industry it was built up on.

LOL ... maybe not so funny for those who were run off after the crash but id venture to guess that building a complete town from scratch would constitute one having ones ducks in a row.

If you get a minute, scan though a few of the site pics. There are a few pics of places there that have sat untouched since the day the town closed.
... one of an office, i think maybe a medical clinic where there is a sheet of paper/pen still stitting on the desk, filling cabinet open and coffee cup on desk, all placed in between a swiveling office chair where you could imagine the person sitting there drinking their morning coffee, doing some filing, none the wiser they were no longer needed and to leave, Now.... and there it sits for 30-40 years, untouched.
Blows my mind that homes still sitting furnished, close in closet, dishes in cupboards - so far up north that it hasnt been looted yet.

The town was built and provided from scratch as was everything in it including the furniture so when the corp went tits-up, everything was left as-is, where-is....
littlebratt

Post by littlebratt »

sounds like there is a few people who would love to do this:) im in!!!
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

" The Casanutter's Abandoned Building Society ".

Can we have a bus?

Aassumng i am allowed to join, i'll pre-volunteer to be the guy who pushes buttons, or pulls levers ( whatever is required).
BrokenPencil
Fledgling

Post by BrokenPencil »

yup, I would be down for this. Keep me in the loop. I love taking photos, and would love to explore the paranormal and abandoned Okanagan and area. I think I may have taken a ghostly photo on Munson Mountain last week.

Return to “Central Okanagan”