UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Damien wrote:All of a sudden the "Yaletown" condos are in a great location for students and faculty.

I highly doubt that came about accidentally.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Damien wrote:All of a sudden the "Yaletown" condos are in a great location for students and faculty.

Ah, so that's why they are built like tiny little dorm rooms.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I highly doubt that came about accidentally.

Especially since that mountain behind Yaletown is set to become the next Dilworth Mountain in the next few years. The city isn't building this road for the convenience of us now. It's for the 1200 units about to start going in next to where it will be.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Especially since that mountain behind Yaletown is set to become the next Dilworth Mountain in the next few years. The city isn't building this road for the convenience of us now. It's for the 1200 units about to start going in next to where it will be.

The city does not build roads in anticipation of growth, it builds them when traffic gets so gawd awful that they can't stand the complaints anymore. The road to UBCO from Yaletown was included in the OCP back in 1994 but for some reason dissappeared from subsequent plans. It was reintroduced 10 years later.
The impact of increased traffic through the Valley Road N -Sexsmith corridor on the local neighbourhood has been dramatic. Many vehicles passing through have UBCO passes hanging from their mirrors, it will be a relief when this traffic can be diverted.
Waste not
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there was an issue with the ALC about the land being in the ALR. The city purchased the farm and it now owned by UBCO as endowment lands.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Without a proper upgrading of Glenmore to JHD, the city will once again try to squeeze 50 gallons through a 5 gallon pipe.

I find the current JHD turnoff poorly designed and poorly aligned. I also expect Glenmore's speed limit to be lowered to 60 from 80 out past the intersection, which will further congest the area.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Anonymous123 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there was an issue with the ALC about the land being in the ALR. The city purchased the farm and it now owned by UBCO as endowment lands.

The land is still in the ALR, that is, the land that UBCO purchsed from the city. The city bought the whole ranch for the landfill but did not need all of it and spun off that land to UBCO. The ALC recognises that there needs to be grid roads through ALR land and releases it as needed. (the Golden Ears Bridge in the Faser Valley is an example of this).
At one point a connector from McKinley Road was proposed to Hwy 97, connecting up at Quail Ridge north of the Airport. The rapid development of UBCO changed all that. 7000 students generate a lot of traffic. The amount of traffic using the new Glenmore Rd JHD intersection will create enough congestion to slow down traffic.
Waste not
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Rwede wrote:Without a proper upgrading of Glenmore to JHD, the city will once again try to squeeze 50 gallons through a 5 gallon pipe.

I find the current JHD turnoff poorly designed and poorly aligned. I also expect Glenmore's speed limit to be lowered to 60 from 80 out past the intersection, which will further congest the area.

The solution to this is stop flow of traffic all the way to Winfield. That would change the dynamics of Glenmore which at this time id likely as busy as the highway 97. I hope they do some changes to reduce the volume as it is the highway and A$$holes try to do highway speed once they clear Ballou Road.

The speed limit change if monitored / enforced will also put vehicles back on the highway, instead of Glenmore.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Ken7 wrote:The solution to this is stop flow of traffic all the way to Winfield. That would change the dynamics of Glenmore which at this time id likely as busy as the highway 97. I hope they do some changes to reduce the volume as it is the highway and A$$holes try to do highway speed once they clear Ballou Road.

The speed limit change if monitored / enforced will also put vehicles back on the highway, instead of Glenmore.

Why not upgrade Glenmore instead of further congesting the highway? 97 is already overflowing, with much-needed upgrades out to Edwards being done, albeit too little too late.

6 lane 97 all the way to Winfield, and 4 lane Glenmore all the way to Winfield, too. The 97/Glenmore intersection realignment plan is sitting on the shelf collecting dust - time to get that done too.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This valley from Sicamous in north-end to Osoyoos in the South needs to have long term highway changes, the population is only going to increase.
Without long term vision its just ends up being band-aid jobs which will truly suck in the end. Since they screw-up by not having by-passes installed in both Kelowna & Vernon when population was smaller.

Just for the hell of it using google maps count the number of traffic lights from turn off at TC in Sicamous to border crossing in Osoyoos (253 Km). Of course majority of them are in 2 areas, thru Vernon & from Winfield to south-side of West Kelowna.

Really bad planning ahead, imo overpasses &/or underpasses should have been used much more in so removing most of that start & stop traffic due to all the lights.
Unfortunately in most of the cases its to late to change that.

MOTI as well each of city planners needs those who can think ahead 50+ years into the future needs (not just for tomorrow)

Yes, I know I'm off topic. I fully expect this post to be deleted.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Rwede wrote:Without a proper upgrading of Glenmore to JHD, the city will once again try to squeeze 50 gallons through a 5 gallon pipe.

Ken7 wrote:The solution to this is stop flow of traffic all the way to Winfield. That would change the dynamics of Glenmore which at this time id likely as busy as the highway 97. I hope they do some changes to reduce the volume as it is the highway and A$$holes try to do highway speed once they clear Ballou Road.

I'm really curious as to where people keep seeing all these Glenmore Road speeders. Are you talking during the night?

I drive that road a lot and more often than not I can't even get up to 80kph because the traffic is going slower and passing is not much of an option.

Just this evening I was heading home around 4:45pm and the highest speed I was able to attain between the Glenmore Dump and Winfield was about 62kph.

Any time I can actually do 80kph all the way into town is a bonus and believe me it doesn't happen often.
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

Any updates on timing for when they may break ground on this?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

For the sake of Roberts Lake Regional Park, hopefully never.

Having said that, is there NO alternate route for cyclists to get to UBCO without using Hwy. 97 or trespassing on that private road? I mean, no third route?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Queen K wrote:For the sake of Roberts Lake Regional Park, hopefully never.

I'm assuming because you feel a road through an alkali puddle would be a natural disaster.

With Hwy 97 six laning going ahead now, the sooner they finish a back way into UBCO the better.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

To you it's an alkali puddle.

To naturalists who know better, it's habitat to many bird species, both migrating and living here.
Is it just a tiny bit possible that other living creatures deserve a home too, free of noise, light and other pollution?

We've photographed the many species of birds feeding, nesting and raising young there. You?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”