UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Post by Grandan »

drex1999 wrote:The only way to UBCO by vehicle is the highway

Not quite, the back road across the hill to UBCO from Sexsmith Road can be done by automoble but is rough.
The access from Curtis can be done on bicycle or foot if you qualify with special status.
Waste not
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

Any shovels in the ground yet? Any local comments about progress, start or end date forcasts?
marshp0

Post by marshp0 »

Nothing yet but we are getting closer. It is a slow process to get it to the construction stage.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

From what i hear this will come out for tender late this fall or first thing in the spring... :up:
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Norm Letnick:
Finally, the last phase of the $11.6-million John Hindle Drive project is proceeding along the preliminary design stages, with a public engagement process expected to be announced in the near future. This will help us to understand what the community, as well as project partners and other important stakeholders, hope to see from the development.
Waste not
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

11 million for what 3 km..
Makes 45 km the f tourist bike path railtrail look cheap for 7.5 milion..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:11 million for what 3 km..

I wasn't aware that they were paving the rail trail two lanes wide, and 45km long for 7.5 million. That really is a good deal.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing 3km of land within Kelowna City Limits would be worth a few bucks, and paving what's essentially a swamp is a challenge too.

As I recall less than 3km of Swamp Road in the Mission cost a pile of money to fix, not to mention construction delays, and it was an existing roadway.

Let's compare apples to apples!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:11 million for what 3 km..

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I wasn't aware that they were paving the rail trail two lanes wide, and 45km long for 7.5 million. That really is a good deal.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing 3km of land within Kelowna City Limits would be worth a few bucks, and paving what's essentially a swamp is a challenge too.

As I recall less than 3km of Swamp Road in the Mission cost a pile of money to fix, not to mention construction delays, and it was an existing roadway.

Let's compare apples to apples!

The actual distance is around 1.3 km so it is very heavy cost. There is no swamp involved in the building of JHD, or some of the nature lovers would be having a fit.
Waste not
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

The point was one might make a heap of money, this one wont ( but its needed)
And this kind of money is spent often, without a bunch of naysayers.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Grandan wrote:The actual distance is around 1.3 km so it is very heavy cost. There is no swamp involved in the building of JHD, or some of the nature lovers would be having a fit.

Perhaps not actual swamp but Glenmore is known for clay that isn't exactly conducive to easy road building.

I don't know why costs get so crazy high, but didn't that little stretch of Swamp Road come in at around 20 million bucks?

I hunted around a bit but couldn't find the actual figure. I just recall that at the time I felt it was a gigantic waste of money when routes for that area could have been better planned.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Didn't I read that part of this project was to create new marshland for that bird that lives there? To replace the land that would be disturbed/destroyed by the road construction? That would explain the higher than normal cost...
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

The cost is that its state of the art fourlane... It will be a major bleedoff for traffic to keep some off 97. Between UBC and bridge. Also it may increase bicycle traffic to UBC,, saves a bit of wear on the roads..
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

TylerM4 wrote:Didn't I read that part of this project was to create new marshland for that bird that lives there? To replace the land that would be disturbed/destroyed by the road construction? That would explain the higher than normal cost...

Whatever you heard it could not have been about John Hindle Drive because does not even come close to any wetland.
Part of the cost is the new intersection at UBCO as it ties into Academy Way on a sidehill with a fair amount of earthworks.
The cost is an estimate not a final price and may go up or down.

All I know is that there is a vicious amount of traffic on the Valley Road N Sexsmith Corridor with the closing of Cross Road Valley Road intersection for the Traffic Circle construction.
Waste not
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Grandan wrote:The cost is an estimate not a final price and may go up or down.

Can you imagine the price of a major project going down?
lol
That's funny.
What you should have said is something along the lines of, "The cost is an estimate not a final price, so you know it's going to end up costing significantly more than that."
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I have never heard of the price of a major project such as this, going down. I could be wrong, but if anyone could provide some evidence of this happening in BC, I would like to see it and I will apologize for my oversight.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein

Return to “Central Okanagan”