UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Post by Grandan »

This is the preliminary design for John Hindle Drive. There is likely an update somewhere?
http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PD ... awings.pdf
It is a fact that there is a 3rd passing lane on the uphill section from the dump entrance all the way to Glenmore Road to allow for passing slower moving trucks.
Waste not
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Head thunk on the keyboard

I know it doesn't go right through the lake. Duh. I've been photographing the lake, the species and the flora there for three years now. The new road is dreaded for so many reasons.

It's cutting the Avocet flying path from nesting to food sources in two. Ever see birds hit by cars? Right now they don't have to contend with that danger.

It's going to create on-going traffic noise from morning to night.

It's going to create pollution not present in that area now. Light pollution from street lights interferes with bird activity, look it up.

Every nesting species there will be affected in some way. Again, I'm the "lone" voice here for them, but there are others I've talked to at the lake, equally dreading the inevitable.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Queen K wrote:Head thunk on the keyboard

I know it doesn't go right through the lake. Duh. I've been photographing the lake, the species and the flora there for three years now. The new road is dreaded for so many reasons.

It's cutting the Avocet flying path from nesting to food sources in two. Ever see birds hit by cars? Right now they don't have to contend with that danger.

It's going to create pollution not present in that area now. Light pollution from street lights interferes with bird activity, look it up.

Every nesting species there will be affected in some way. Again, I'm the "lone" voice here for them, but there are others I've talked to at the lake, equally dreading the inevitable.

Just think of the reduced emissions that will result in the shorter access route to the dump for all that truck traffic. This reduction will benefit all wildlife.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Queen K wrote: It's cutting the Avocet flying path from nesting to food sources in two. Ever see birds hit by cars? Right now they don't have to contend with that danger.

Methinks you exaggerate just a tad.

Birds hit by cars??? To hear you tell it I should be driving over a hundred carcasses on the way to work each day, yet I see exactly zero.

Might some get hit, yes I suppose, but certainly not enough to support your hysteria.

Pollution??? We're talking about a space that resides beside the city landfill, as in all manner of trucks coming in and out during hours of operation, and have been for years give or take a few feet on the GPS.

The birds have wings you know, a feature that allows them to fly right over cars and trucks.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill, nothing more, nothing less.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Queen K wrote:Head thunk on the keyboard

Yeah Im going to agree with this. The whole area was at one time beautiful and undeveloped. Getting harder to find this around here
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

="Queen K"]Head thunk on the keyboard

Yeah Im going to agree with this. The whole area was at one time beautiful and undeveloped. Getting harder to find this around here

There were two road rights of way across this wetland that will never see roads built.
The area was developed over 100 years ago, get used to it.
I have been visiting Robert Lake for over 20 years and in that time the worst thing that has happened is the loss of frogs which were plentiful 20 years ago. One year I saw thousands of frogs killed on Valley Road N, swished by cars using roads that were developed 100 years ago, driving to homes that overlooked Robert Lake. Since then the frogs have disappeared from Brandt's Creek. What caused the loss? Pesticides, fetilizers, herbisides? Natural life cycle, who knows?
Waste not
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

TO GRANDAN: So you are saying you dislike the development, loss of habitat, loss of species?
Last edited by tsayta on Mar 8th, 2016, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

tsayta wrote:So you are saying you dislike the development, loss of habitat, loss of species?

Please reference your statement. What losses are you referring to? Are saying that John Hindle Dr will destroy sensitive habitat?
For my part, I have planted over 120 different trees over the past 20 years on my property and with the small addition of irrigation water during very long dry spells, they are doing very well. I have created habitat. Owls and hawks use the trees.
I see a double standard when it comes to wetlands, farmers seem to be able to destroy habitat with no issues. Others are held to a higher standard.
Waste not
Mrconcerned

Post by Mrconcerned »

having a safe route for cyclists, finally. way overdue.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was hoping an off-shoot of the Rail-To-Trail project could be created to the UBCO especially for pedestrians, cyclists, electric bikes, and scooters.

And Grandan, I know you've published that info about yourself and your property before. I took a property and enriched it, though I do not have one to your scale. But this isn't about individuals, I'm expressing my regrets for a rare commodity in the Okanagan Valley today, wet lands.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ Come August Robert Lake isn't much of a "wetland", plus the road isn't going through it anyway, and the birds have wings to fly over the road.

After having read about your concern regarding birds being hit by vehicles, I've paid particular attention the last week to how many birds I see that have become road kill.

You know how many I saw? None. So yes the odd bird does get hit by vehicles, but hardly in a quantity to get all worked up about.

Now if they suddenly decided to put up a wind turbine in the middle of your wetland, then you might have justification for all this concern.

As it stands your position is more about deploring change in a place you like.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Who cares about August? August isn't migratory time. Right now Roberts Lake is overflowing with water and birds coming in.

Why are you so bothered by a lone voice in the Wilderness of what passes for progress? Not enough paradises have been paved over for you that one more still isn't enough?

And no, my objection is about the further threat to habitat the next generation can't get back.

On my many road trips I see so many carcasses of dead wildlife, but that I feel that one area should be protected is soooo offensive to you Wolfie.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I'm not the one that's all worked up about a quarter mile of roadway, that the area desperately needs.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:I was hoping an off-shoot of the Rail-To-Trail project could be created to the UBCO especially for pedestrians, cyclists, electric bikes, and scooters.

And Grandan, I know you've published that info about yourself and your property before. I took a property and enriched it, though I do not have one to your scale. But this isn't about individuals, I'm expressing my regrets for a rare commodity in the Okanagan Valley today, wet lands.

There is no way that any rail to trail would connect with the Robert Lake trail, it is in a different valley altogether separated by
a mountain with steep cliffs overlooking Robert Lake.
I believe that it is all about the individual, that is where it begins. When individuals work together they can achieve great things.
I understand your concern but the fact is that those individuals who would be using the new road would be driving 1/3 the distance to get to UBCO than they do currently when they drive beside and across Brandt's Creek to do so. John Hindle Dr does not cross any wetlands not even a trickle so what wetlands are you talking about?
The Bennett Bridge crosses a lot of water and the birds have adapted to it.
I currently am looking at ways to enhance the wetland that crosses my land, home to hundreds of birds.
Waste not
marshp0

Post by marshp0 »

I can't wait for this project to start.
We have been waiting a few years. We are the head geotech's on this project.
It will be great to finally have a connection to the hwy from Glenmore Road. Well needed.
Sexsmith gets very bogged up with university traffic so this will help alleviate it. Not to mention it will make it easier for students to bike to school.

Return to “Central Okanagan”