UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Post by Grandan »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... 562Another road leads to UBCO
This long awaited road has finally received funding. For reasons known only to the planners, this important connector was dropped from the OCP back in the late 90's and finally made it back in during the last OCP review. Currently Glenmore residents have only Sexsmith Road for access to Hwy 97 or Dilworth to the south. I'm pleased that all the garbage trucks will now have a dedicated truck route from Rutland to the landfill instead of the imposition on resisidents of Valley Road N Sexsmith neighbourhood, whoo hoo!

by Ragnar Haagen | Story: 126562 - Nov 10, 2014 / 12:21 pm

Photo: Contributed
Funding is now in place to complete John Hindle Drive, the road that will allow students, staff and visitors a secondary roadway to access UBCO.

A partnership between the Government of Canada, the Province of BC and the City of Kelowna announced $11.6 million in joint funding for the final phase of the extension project.

“We are excited to see this important multi-modal connection to UBC Okanagan move forward,” says outgoing Kelowna mayor Walter Gray.

“The John Hindle road extension is a Council priority and has been in our long-term road network planning for many years. We acknowledge the collaborative effort of our partners, especially the provincial and federal governments. Our thanks also to the citizens and staff for creating something of great value for our community. Investment in multiple modes of transportation is so important to our continued community growth and quality of life.”

The final part of the road to be constructed will be a 1.6 kilometres stretch that extends past the Glenmore Landfill, across some UBC endowment lands, and meets up with the western portion of the campus.

Once completed, the extension is expected to improve traffic flow to the university and lower travel times by finally creating an alternate route. Construction of the two-lane roadway will also include a multi-use paved pathway for pedestrians and cyclists from Glenmore Road to the Hollywood Road roundabout at Highway 97 near the UBCO.

The City of Kelowna is investing $4.6 million into the $11.6 million project, with both the federal government and the province each chipping in $3.5 million.
Waste not
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: UBCO- Glenmore connector, finally!

Post by bob vernon »

You'll notice that they didn't include a map of this road and where it goes. If there was a map of the road, you might be disappointed.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

This gives an overview of the proposed connector. The announcement of a legal trail for cyclists on the north side of Robert Lake would be the cherry on the cake.
https://news.ok.ubc.ca/exchange/2014/02 ... to-campus/
Waste not
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

Last drawings I saw a while back hooked it up to the first round about at the overpass coming into UBCO
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

bob vernon wrote:You'll notice that they didn't include a map of this road and where it goes. If there was a map of the road, you might be disappointed.

Why? The proposed route looks fine to me.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Post by kelowna_proud »

I hope this isn't true. I'm going to put this into really easy terms for everyone to understand.
The new road to the dump (John Hindle) ends at the farmland at the bottom. Of course you can make a left to go to the dump. The city wants to extend through the farmland to UBCO right.

I use that road a couple times a week to go to the dump. OMG the light at John Hindle and Glenmore Drive is going to be going non-stop. Cars will be backed up 100 long from UBCO trying to make a left or right onto Glenmore Drive.

Is there going to be a light in between UBCO and Glenmore Drive? There is going to be some really nice collisions at the stop sign/intersection when you hang a right from the dump onto John Hindle.

That is going to be a total Drag Strip from UBCO to Glenmore Drive. Imagine all the dump-trucks, Garbage trucks and slow moving citizens pulling out from that stop sign onto John Hindle trying to beat the UBCO traffic.

I've gone down the Highway and been bumper to bumper with 20 UBCO students flying down that merge lane on HWY 97 Alot of these kids shouldn't hold a license (I'm totally going to get flamed about who should have a licence after you read my next comment).

I have tested John Hindle making a right from the dump, and from that stop sign to midway to Glenmore Drive you can easily surpass 100 km/h going uphill.

UBCO STUDENTS........START YOUR ENGINES!!!!!
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Good points on traffic woes at the intersection of JHD and Glenmore Road. The big winner here is the decrease in dump traffic through the Valley Road N Sexsmith corridior.
Trucks that currently must drive the long way round through the torturous Sexsmith Road will have a direct route from Rutland.
Drivers travelling south on Glenmore Road who are headed to UBCO will no longer have to drive all the way around to get to UBCO via Sexsmith, they will have a shortcut via the landfill road AKA John Hindle Drive.
With new developments going in at McKinley, growth at Wilden and a spiffy new connector over the hill to Clifton, it is all good to me. The only group that will not fare so well are the cyclists, that is a long grind up Glenmore Road and just about all downhill to the university. It is several km longer than taking the back way through Curtis via the easement road around Robert Lake. We just need an announcement of a connecting trail on the north side of Robert Lake to accomodate cyclists or for the long strung out court case to be settled and pave the wretched easement road
Waste not
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

kelowna_proud wrote:I hope this isn't true. I'm going to put this into really easy terms for everyone to understand.
The new road to the dump (John Hindle) ends at the farmland at the bottom. Of course you can make a left to go to the dump. The city wants to extend through the farmland to UBCO right.

I use that road a couple times a week to go to the dump. OMG the light at John Hindle and Glenmore Drive is going to be going non-stop. Cars will be backed up 100 long from UBCO trying to make a left or right onto Glenmore Drive.

Is there going to be a light in between UBCO and Glenmore Drive? There is going to be some really nice collisions at the stop sign/intersection when you hang a right from the dump onto John Hindle.

That is going to be a total Drag Strip from UBCO to Glenmore Drive. Imagine all the dump-trucks, Garbage trucks and slow moving citizens pulling out from that stop sign onto John Hindle trying to beat the UBCO traffic.

I've gone down the Highway and been bumper to bumper with 20 UBCO students flying down that merge lane on HWY 97 Alot of these kids shouldn't hold a license (I'm totally going to get flamed about who should have a licence after you read my next comment).

I have tested John Hindle making a right from the dump, and from that stop sign to midway to Glenmore Drive you can easily surpass 100 km/h going uphill.

I'm not sure what you're upset about, it's a much needed access between Glenmore and the Highway. People (students and non-students) will use it and if there are enough traffic issues to warrant a light at the entrance to the dump they will put one in. If people indeed feel the need to speed up to 100kmh on that stretch (as you apparently have) I'm sure it won't be long before traffic calming measures are put in. Also, it's Glenmore Road, not Glenmore Drive. You'd think someone who drives it a lot would know that.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

kelowna_proud wrote:I hope this isn't true. I'm going to put this into really easy terms for everyone to understand.

Perhaps they will include "traffic calming" speed bumps on the road that goes through the farmland.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

The traffic signal at the dump entrance has been operational for some time, the only way you can get out of there sometimes.
Waste not
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Grandan wrote:The traffic signal at the dump entrance has been operational for some time, the only way you can get out of there sometimes.

I meant they could put a light in where the entrance to the dump comes off John Hindle Drive once that's no longer the end of the road. You're correct that the light at Glenmore and John Hindle Drive has been in for some time.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I meant they could put a light in where the entrance to the dump comes off John Hindle Drive once that's no longer the end of the road. You're correct that the light at Glenmore and John Hindle Drive has been in for some time.

With traffic coming from both sides of the dump the need may be there soon.
Waste not
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

I think this is great. It should reduce the amount of traffic on the major arteries and provide a calmer route from Glenmore and its condo/townhome developments to the University. Which are home to many students. Also, having a short bus route from Glenmore to UBC is great.

All of a sudden the "Yaletown" condos are in a great location for students and faculty.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Damien wrote:All of a sudden the "Yaletown" condos are in a great location for students and faculty.

Except for any odours from the landfill.
Last edited by GordonH on Nov 16th, 2014, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”